Scouting Non League

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey Mike in Suffolk
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Scouting Non League

Post by Pompey Mike in Suffolk »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:49 pm
eltorrro wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:28 pm Now I am probably wrong (I very often am although my wife says I'm always wrong!!) but my take on this subject was that DC was looking in lower/non leagues for 'young-ish' players with potential that could be garnered by Pompey and be peripheral players then sell on at a later date.
So, not necessarily seeking immediate first team players but 'potential' first teamers??

Thoughts anyone?? 8)
The 'vision' stated was that we "sign 4 or 5 players of promise that are good enough to play in our first team that can become assets"

I think this is the quote that is causing the issue, but as per my previous post, the telling words are "good enough to play in our first team"
If they are good enough does it make a difference where they come from??
Why do people only read the word "asset" only in selling terms. Surely an asset is a player that adds to the performance of the team
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey Mike in Suffolk wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:03 pm
eltorrro wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:28 pm Now I am probably wrong (I very often am although my wife says I'm always wrong!!) but my take on this subject was that DC was looking in lower/non leagues for 'young-ish' players with potential that could be garnered by Pompey and be peripheral players then sell on at a later date.
So, not necessarily seeking immediate first team players but 'potential' first teamers??

Thoughts anyone?? 8)
The 'vision' stated was that we "sign 4 or 5 players of promise that are good enough to play in our first team that can become assets"

I think this is the quote that is causing the issue, but as per my previous post, the telling words are "good enough to play in our first team"
Why do people only read the word "asset" only in selling terms. Surely an asset is a player that adds to the performance of the team
Because Crowley intimated that this would be a conveyor line project realizing the asset to reinvest ie the Crewe model which obviously proved so successful last season
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:17 pm
Pompey Mike in Suffolk wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:03 pm

Thoughts anyone?? 8)

Because Crowley intimated that this would be a conveyor line project realizing the asset to reinvest ie the Crewe model which obviously proved so successful last season
He described the players as 'assets' that can be sold at a profit which can then go straight back into the playing budget and used to start the process again by investing in more potential assets. He didn't describe them as assets in the way they would enhance the quality of the team going forward.