Glen Johnson

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Glen Johnson

Post by jam tomorrow »

Love this comment from Glen and totally agree think we all do PUP

Former Portsmouth defender Glen Johnson has said the Blues need to get back to "where they should be" to start giving back to the fans.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 55 times

Re: Glen Johnson

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:12 pm Love this comment from Glen and totally agree think we all do PUP

Former Portsmouth defender Glen Johnson has said the Blues need to get back to "where they should be" to start giving back to the fans.
always makes me laugh, "where we should be" until we bankrupted ourselves and nearly went to the wall getting to the premier league, how many seasons did we spend in the old leagues 3 and 4 ?
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:35 pm
jam tomorrow wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:12 pm Love this comment from Glen and totally agree think we all do PUP

always makes me laugh, "where we should be" until we bankrupted ourselves and nearly went to the wall getting to the premier league, how many seasons did we spend in the old leagues 3 and 4 ?
Come on, PB, you know what happened, just as much as I do.

We spent exactly the same way as Man City and Chelsea do -- the rich owner put money in to the club to pay for those players. It all went t!ts up because the (real) owner's assets were frozen, because he was found guilty of gunrunning.

If the UAE runs out of oil tomorrow night, Man City are in just as much doo-doo as we were.

We didn't bankrupt ourselves, the club had every right to believe that their income stream was sustainable.

But I agree that Glen Johnson can shut the front door.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Locky_McLockface wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:44 pm

We spent exactly the same way as Man City and Chelsea do -- the rich owner put money in to the club to pay for those players. It all went t!ts up because the (real) owner's assets were frozen, because he was found guilty of gunrunning.

If the UAE runs out of oil tomorrow night, Man City are in just as much doo-doo as we were.

We didn't bankrupt ourselves, the club had every right to believe that their income stream was sustainable.

yeah ok Locky, the club had every right to believe, but the owners had no right to con the club and the fans.
I agree with you on Citeh, and now that the never ending funds at chelsea are gone be interesting to see their model going forward.

Barcelona always make me laugh, we cant sign anyone, we need to sell we dont have any money, a week later, ok we are buying play x for 60m, player y for 90m and so on and so on

and surely Mr johnson is going to shut the toilet seat ;)
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I have to disagree with you there Mr McLockface and I find myself agreeing with Mr PB2. The difference is that City & Chelsea had (have) legitimate owners, although some would argue considering 'legitimate' however. Gadermac had dirty money to launder whilst the others were crooks and people that didn't have money in the first place. As it proved the spending was unsustainable and these called owners didn't really care if the club went to the wall or not. However, I do think Glen Johnson was talking about separate issues here really. He wasn't talking about finances he we covering the emotional side of the club from the supporters side of the club.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

I find myself agreeing with Mr PB2.
[/quote]

:shock: wow first time for everything lol
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:59 pm I find myself agreeing with Mr PB2.
[/quote]

Now there is no need for that. I do believe that we have agreed before on other issues, not often of course.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

For f***s sake will you two just get a room.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:56 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:59 pm I find myself agreeing with Mr PB2.
Now there is no need for that. I do believe that we have agreed before on other issues, not often of course.
[/quote]

I was joking Walter, we regularly agree, sometimes from different points of view
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:45 am
I was joking Walter, we regularly agree, sometimes from different points of view
[/quote]

OK, I did realise you were joking. Just wondering though, not saying anything really but what do you think of NSS's suggestion about the room. No pressure.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:08 am
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:45 am
OK, I did realise you were joking. Just wondering though, not saying anything really but what do you think of NSS's suggestion about the room. No pressure.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: there really is no correct answer to that question Walter :wink:
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:32 pm

I have to disagree with you there Mr McLockface and I find myself agreeing with Mr PB2. The difference is that City & Chelsea had (have) legitimate owners, although some would argue considering 'legitimate' however. Gadermac had dirty money to launder whilst the others were crooks and people that didn't have money in the first place. As it proved the spending was unsustainable and these called owners didn't really care if the club went to the wall or not. However, I do think Glen Johnson was talking about separate issues here really. He wasn't talking about finances he we covering the emotional side of the club from the supporters side of the club.
Obviously Abramovic has sold / is selling Chelsea, but if the Panorama documentary about him is to be believed, his money is just as dirty as Arkadi Gaydamak's (I wasn't talking about Chainrai and Antonov)

In any event, I took issue with PB2's assertion that we bankrupted ourselves by spending on players. We didn't. We used the owner's money (however ill-gotten it was) to supplement our income. All the while Gaydamak was willing to spend that money, it was sustainable.

And that's exactly how Chelsea worked. Abramovic wrote blank cheques to supplement their other income. Likewise Man City and Mansour.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Locky_McLockface wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:49 pm

Obviously Abramovic has sold / is selling Chelsea, but if the Panorama documentary about him is to be believed, his money is just as dirty as Arkadi Gaydamak's (I wasn't talking about Chainrai and Antonov)

In any event, I took issue with PB2's assertion that we bankrupted ourselves by spending on players. We didn't. We used the owner's money (however ill-gotten it was) to supplement our income. All the while Gaydamak was willing to spend that money, it was sustainable.

And that's exactly how Chelsea worked. Abramovic wrote blank cheques to supplement their other income. Likewise Man City and Mansour.
I accept that locky, however the big difference is the revenue streams. Chelsea, and City were champions league, worldwide known with merchandise sales across the world, and gates of 60,000.
we were none of those with gates of 20,000, it was never sustainable as he never had that much money, even if it wasnt dirty and ended up being blocked altogether
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 33 times

Post by StMonkton »

I largely agree with Locky.

Chelsea at that stage were losing more every season than our total loss. (£100m ish).

Lots of clubs would go pop if the benefactor took the money away ,or had to, at short notice. Think what might have happened to Newcastle if Ashley hadn’t been prepared to wait getting on for a decade to retrieve his money.

I am not saying we were being soundly run but there is a casual narrative quoted all too often that we just overspent and thus deserved our fate. It was more nuanced than that but complex stories don’t appeal much these days. Our technological digital age seems to lead to simple yes/no thinking about every issue.

Text yes! if you agree.

If not , you are stupid and I hate you . (Joke)
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:10 pm
Locky_McLockface wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:49 pm

I accept that locky, however the big difference is the revenue streams. Chelsea, and City were champions league, worldwide known with merchandise sales across the world, and gates of 60,000.
we were none of those with gates of 20,000, it was never sustainable as he never had that much money, even if it wasnt dirty and ended up being blocked altogether
We weren't spending the same as Chelsea and City on wages and transfer fees either. Whichever way you slice it, we used the same funding model as Chelsea and City. It worked for 3 or 4 seasons, and would have continued to work for as long as the Gaydamaks had money to burn (or quite possibly launder).

I'll say it again, if the UAE runs out of oil, Man C will be just as scuppered as we were.

The actual levels might be different, but the principle is the same. We did not bankrupt ourselves.