Dane Scarlett Rumour

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Dane Scarlett Rumour

Post by jam tomorrow »

Neil Allen
@pn_neil_allen
·
Follow
I understand #Pompey are closing in on a loan deal for Spurs attacker Dane Scarlett. Talks have been held today.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Dane Scarlett Rumour

Post by Sam_Brown »

Someone has updated his wiki page already :rofl . 12 goals in 14 appearances for England 21 makes me optimistic. He may be our "Stewart" for the season.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

This kid fired Pompey to the Premier League when I got addicted to Football Manager again during lockdown.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by Pompey55 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:12 pm Neil Allen
@pn_neil_allen
·
Follow
I understand #Pompey are closing in on a loan deal for Spurs attacker Dane Scarlett. Talks have been held today.
Talk about cradle snatching he is barely 18 with an absolute wealth of senior experience I’ve got older shirts this in my opinion is really pushing the window of attracting young players on loan I really can not see him being able to consistently cope with the physically of league one. Anyway never mind would still leave us with 2 loans we could still put to good use
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:25 pm
@pn_neil_allen
·
Follow
Talk about cradle snatching he is barely 18 with an absolute wealth of senior experience I’ve got older shirts this in my opinion is really pushing the window of attracting young players on loan I really can not see him being able to consistently cope with the physically of league one. Anyway never mind would still leave us with 2 loans we could still put to good use
How many England under 21 caps did you have at 18?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:24 pm This kid fired Pompey to the Premier League when I got addicted to Football Manager again during lockdown.
Maybe Cowley plays the same computer game that’s how he finds his young prospects
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:26 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:25 pm
@pn_neil_allen
·
Follow
How many England under 21 caps did you have at 18?
As many as he has thanks !
He’s only got as far as under 19 in the England set up where he has 8 caps
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Can't really see much downside to this if we can make it happen. He's got pace, can finish and is highly rated by Spurs and England's age groups (he recently signed a contract keeping him at Spurs till 2026). Over the summer he started for the England U19 side that won the under-19 Euros. As has been pointed out, his goalscoring record at that level is excellent.

Spurs mate of mine reckons he's a genuine prospect and that the club/fans are excited both about him and Alfie Devine (who also played in that U19 side this summer).

Yeah, he might not have the physicality or experience to start every game - but he seems to be a natural goalscorer so maybe he can be our X factor player next season. We're also not going to get through the season with only two forwards, so signing Scarlett would give us three very different combinations to use against different opponents and to rest and rotate players when they need it.

As an example, Jermain Defoe had less first team experience (one game) when he joined Bournemouth on loan at the same age, at the same level. I'm not saying in any way Scarlett would be as good as that, because that's too much to expect. Just pointing out that "cradle snatching" and signing an unproven 18 year old doesn't necessarily mean he won't be up to the task. For me, Scarlett is exactly the sort of player we should be looking to bring in on loan because we couldn't afford to sign someone with his talent.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Now official - what an amazing window this is shaping up to be. Well done Danny C.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Is he the Harness replacement or are we looking to bring some one else for that role?
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Selsey Bill wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:37 pm Now official - what an amazing window this is shaping up to be. Well done Danny C.
It's amazing what a little patience can do, just think we could have been ladened with journeymen earlier in the window.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:40 pm Is he the Harness replacement or are we looking to bring some one else for that role?
I think he fills the the forward berth, not the winger berth
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:43 pm
jam tomorrow wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:40 pm Is he the Harness replacement or are we looking to bring some one else for that role?
I think he fills the the forward berth, not the winger berth
Agree, I think we're also looking to bring in a wide player imminently (preferably before Saturday).
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I think one thing to take into consideration is that from this season each team can make 5 subs per game.

If you have a player therefore on your bench that can come on and make a difference then that can be a major advantage - just look at Russo for the Lionesses as an example of the impact that a key sub can have.

I suspect Dane Scarlett may not start many games but he can definitely make a difference from the sub bench and keep the other strikers fresh.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

IMHO i think this is a good signing, young and very talented, wants to play football and score goals. will provide a very different threat to Pigott and Bishop, pace running in behind defences.