Pompey Rivals

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Conor_Student21
Collins Mbesuma

Pompey Rivals

Post by Conor_Student21 »

I am an academic researcher at Loughborough University, working in collaboration with UMass (a world-leading sports management university), we would love all you Pompey fans to take part in our international study and put your views about your rivals on the worldwide stage.

Link to study: https://umassamherst.co1.qualtrics.com/ ... grpID=1423
FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Pompey Rivals

Post by FatBlueAde »

Hmm, two of these in two days, one on the message board and one as a private message.........mysteriouser and mysteriouser.........
Living in exile thinking Blue
Rjk66
Alan Biley
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Rjk66 »

Seems like these mystery students are like buses, you wait for ages then two come along at once? Does seem slightly fishy!
Mark Hateley and Alan Biley made my favourite season.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 150 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Out of pure boredom I tried both surveys and the first one posted was quite frankly embarrassing in its format for what was a masters degree subject I would place it on a level of a 16 year olds school project it did however amuse me to express my views on that other team, but then it was from their university
However the Loughborough one is in my view a serious multi national project across all sports and their rivalries as you would expect from such a university
I think maybe that our rivalry with them is seen as one of the most intense thus their interest
Maybe I need to get out more!
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

:smt005
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Well, they're not the Stripies anymore....they only have 1 stripe now.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

many years ago I worked for a company in southampton, and they decided to enter a 5-a-side league. the best player in the company was like me a pompey fan, just the two of us in an office of southampton fans. anyway they asked him to play, but told him they had bought a kit, the southampton kit, but would he still play? He was of the same opinion as me, I dont like or hate them, its good for the area if all the teams are doing well, but i dont look out for their results either way, so for him it wasnt an issue wearing it, but he decided to strike a deal. He would play and wear the kit all season, but at the end of the season he would bring in a Pompey shirt and they all had to put it on in the office, just put it on, then take it off.

season ends and he went out and bought a brand new pompey shirt, it was the season of TY sponsorship, so nice big red heart on the front. couple of the lads put the shirt on, joked that they felt dirty and cheating took it off. then it was the turn of Dan, one of those fans with an inbred hatred, and if you asked him why he would tell you that his dad told him he had to. takes the shirt, says I just need to go to the loo, comes back and had cut out the badge and the heart logo. his reason was that they would take a photo and send it to his dad, and that his dad would then disown him. To a man they all called him a lot of very bad names, and he was shunned by the group for quite some time, and not invited back to play the next season
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:14 am many years ago I worked for a company in southampton, and they decided to enter a 5-a-side league. the best player in the company was like me a pompey fan, just the two of us in an office of southampton fans. anyway they asked him to play, but told him they had bought a kit, the southampton kit, but would he still play? He was of the same opinion as me, I dont like or hate them, its good for the area if all the teams are doing well, but i dont look out for their results either way, so for him it wasnt an issue wearing it, but he decided to strike a deal. He would play and wear the kit all season, but at the end of the season he would bring in a Pompey shirt and they all had to put it on in the office, just put it on, then take it off.

season ends and he went out and bought a brand new pompey shirt, it was the season of TY sponsorship, so nice big red heart on the front. couple of the lads put the shirt on, joked that they felt dirty and cheating took it off. then it was the turn of Dan, one of those fans with an inbred hatred, and if you asked him why he would tell you that his dad told him he had to. takes the shirt, says I just need to go to the loo, comes back and had cut out the badge and the heart logo. his reason was that they would take a photo and send it to his dad, and that his dad would then disown him. To a man they all called him a lot of very bad names, and he was shunned by the group for quite some time, and not invited back to play the next season
Love that. I’m all for a bit of friendly rivalry and even ok when derby match days get a bit heated but some people take it to far.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix