Proposed protest on Saturday

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: Proposed protest on Saturday

Post by Pompey55 »

Changes to the goalposts

Seriously they will be publishing their list of complaints on Friday assuming the snooze will publish it for them
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

What has changed?!
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by PeteM »

Seems absolutely ridiculous to be honest.

We've had a poor run of form, but in general the club is in good hands.

Sounds like a few people trying to make a name for themselves really.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:19 pm What has changed?!
The manager/head coach?
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:43 pm
The manager/head coach?
Well yeah - but the vision hasn't.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Not sure what the protest is going to be about to be quite honest. The owners are doing what they said they would do. I would think that most people would see them as safe, reliable, respectful and, possibly, a bit boring. Some people may point to the fact that both managers they have employed have not really worked out but, in their defence, both were probably recommended to them by their team running the club this side of the pond. Others may point the amount of money being made available for player recruitment but, again, they always said they wouldn't do that. So they can't be criticised for not doing what they promised, which makes a protest a bit pointless.

Depending on the scale of the protest but it could turn out to be quite damaging. The owners could well take it as if 'that is our attitude find someone one else to buy the club'. That being the case we could well be in turmoil again.
Rjk66
Alan Biley
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Rjk66 »

Protests like strikes are a total red rag to me. They make a lot of noise, get nowhere and upset a lot of people. I hope it fails dismally, if it happens at all. How to disgrace yourself and your club in one easy go.
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

I completely support this protest and its long overdue. Through their lack of adequate recruitment financing for Cowley and insistence on penny-pinching through the continued use of loanees, the owners have presided this season over a situation where the club has slipped into the bottom half of the league, ruined any chance of promotion/play offs, and screwed up the career of a promising young coach.Some would say that they approach the possibility of promotion with some trepidation and have put forward guards against promotion.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

streetrifle wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:56 pm I completely support this protest and its long overdue. Through their lack of adequate recruitment financing for Cowley and insistence on penny-pinching through the continued use of loanees, the owners have presided this season over a situation where the club has slipped into the bottom half of the league, ruined any chance of promotion/play offs, and screwed up the career of a promising young coach.Some would say that they approach the possibility of promotion with some trepidation and have put forward guards against promotion.

I think the 14 games without a win might have been a contributing factor to the Cowleys getting the heave ho.

Tyler Walker.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

streetrifle wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:56 pm 'insistence on penny-pinching through the continued use of loanees'
And, of course, you know for certain that method was the choice of the owners..and not the manager's?? :shock:
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

streetrifle wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:56 pm I completely support this protest and its long overdue. Through their lack of adequate recruitment financing for Cowley and insistence on penny-pinching through the continued use of loanees, the owners have presided this season over a situation where the club has slipped into the bottom half of the league, ruined any chance of promotion/play offs, and screwed up the career of a promising young coach.Some would say that they approach the possibility of promotion with some trepidation and have put forward guards against promotion.
We don't really know quite how much financial support was given to Cowley. The budget was described as 'competitive' but it is a matter of conjecture just how competitive it was. Some people, like myself, have questioned whether the amount supplied was competitive with promotion in mind or competitive compared to other clubs in this league. Like everyone who is not privy to the actual numbers I can only surmise what these figures were. Guessing is not a basis for for mounting a protest, especially when we don't really know who really wanted the loan players, for instance. My theory is that Cowley was the main driver in the loan market, but I don't know. You may well be right and the owners insisted that player loans be made to bridge the gap in finance available. My theory is that Cowley basically offered our club to become a nursery for other clubs players, possibly that is why West Brom took their goalkeeper back when Cowley left the club. We don't even know if Cowley used all the budget that was available to him. In my opinion any protest is only worthwhile when backed by facts and hard evidence. As far as I can see people who protest will be protesting against how the owners always said how they would do things and not against broken promises.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:07 pm Hope the goalposts haven’t been changed too much as it might block my line of sight from my seat
I assume they meant the goalposts have moved if so that’s even worse from my seat
Maybe they’ve made them twice as big so we can actually score?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Not really as we rarely get the ball into the opponents penalty area to create chances
Anyway what happens at half time do we move the new bigger goal to the other end otherwise we can give away even more stupid goals
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

There was another topic earlier about it being a slow news day at the Snooze so I assume the only reason we are hearing about this is because there is f-all else to write about.

If so it does seem a bit off for the snooze to be giving fuel to the fire just for some cheap clicks but that does seem to be par the course these days.

I personally prefer a more measured response from the club rather than releasing statements every few hours just to keep the baying masses happy but on the flip side by staying quiet you allow others to control the narrative and fill the silence.

Just a depressing sign of the times when it comes to media (social media especially) and the weird symbiotic relationship between the media and the subject matter (PFC in this case).

People have been conditioned by 24/7 always on news so any period of time with little to no update is seen as a bad thing. I personally like the quiet time to collect thoughts and have a break rather than constantly smashing F5 on Twitter hoping for any old ****** non-story to feed the empty void in my life!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

I do also think this whole “we are protesting but we’re not going to tell you about what exactly you’ll have to wait and see” stinks of a small group of people getting some air time and realising they have sod all actually planned and are now having to make it up at the last minute now they have eyes on them! I also think it damages our reputation as being great fans with the amount of arrogance / entitlement I’ve seen on Twitter etc from some people. Not 100% a fair few of them aren’t just scummers on the wind up though 🤣.

That’s probably my posting quota for the day. I’ll do what the protestors should do and ****** off now.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix