Proposed protest on Saturday

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Proposed protest on Saturday

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Pompey55 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:29 am
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:33 pm
NSRailings wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:14 pm
Mickemo wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:50 pm I will do all I can to drown out any protest on Saturday with applause and clapping!
Careful, they might use that as thinking you support the protest. I prefer SB's "sit down shut up".
What if the protest is to sit down and shut up?!
Why is it based in the North Stand? :D
If so no different from normal
We definitely do stand up in the north stand upper! Only trouble is if we stand up too quickly we get dizzy and have to sit down again!
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Mickemo wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:03 pm
streetrifle wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:56 pm I completely support this protest and its long overdue. Through their lack of adequate recruitment financing for Cowley and insistence on penny-pinching through the continued use of loanees, the owners have presided this season over a situation where the club has slipped into the bottom half of the league, ruined any chance of promotion/play offs, and screwed up the career of a promising young coach.Some would say that they approach the possibility of promotion with some trepidation and have put forward guards against promotion.
What has happened to us, we were always so proud of our loyal and passionate support.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but outside Portsea Island, PFC are not perceived as football giants anymore (or fallen giants for that matter) which appears to be the view of many Pompey fans.

The Eisners have kept their word re their approach so what is the basis for the Protest? Don’t tell me it’s due to poor performance on the pitch alone as any sane person understands rationale for the form drop, injuries/ loss of key players esp in MF. I agree with your point re overuse of loans and the club have acknowledged that so hoping for less loans in the foreseeable.

Don’t worry about the Cowleys, their career is far from screwed, IMHO we will see them employed at a Championship club before too long.
You must be dreaming if you think they'll be employed in the Championship. League one/two is their level imho. As for Eisners keeping their word..cheap H&S work to the stadium to keep it fully open, capacity the same as before. How many players do we have coming through the academy that are currently in the squad, let alone that we can sell for a decent profit? Answer...none. Last player we sold for a profit that came through our academy....Jed Wallace. Here we are mid/lower table league one, looking for our 3rd manager under the Eisners after nearly 6 years...great isn't it. Tectonic plates move faster that these guys. Incidentally if they'd given Jackett a decent January budget 4 years ago we'd have been promoted (not that I liked Jackett, his football was awful) but their tightness ensured we failed. And since then we haven't come close. I agree with the protest, we've gone nowhere under current ownership, and who's to say we'd have gone bust? Any other clubs gone bust due to covid?? Outside of this fairyland board you'll see that plenty of people are unhappy with the Eisners. Brick by brick, more like century by century. It's great being debt free etc but we're stagnant. I'm sure one day we'll get to the Championship with them at the helm, not sure I'll be around to see it and I'm 61. Anyway that's my opinion, sorry I don't agree with most of you, but that's the purpose of (most) message boards.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

BTW, I may come over on here as stroppy and controversial, that's because I am stroppy and controversial but It's all out of passion for my football club.
My views may not be agreed with, but I can't help that. I'm not the type of person to just chill out and be patient when it comes to football, and I always vocalise. Sorry if that offends but that's the way it is. Nothing personal. :D
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Betelgeuse wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:28 am
Mickemo wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:03 pm
streetrifle wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:56 pm I completely support this protest and its long overdue. Through their lack of adequate recruitment financing for Cowley and insistence on penny-pinching through the continued use of loanees, the owners have presided this season over a situation where the club has slipped into the bottom half of the league, ruined any chance of promotion/play offs, and screwed up the career of a promising young coach.Some would say that they approach the possibility of promotion with some trepidation and have put forward guards against promotion.
What has happened to us, we were always so proud of our loyal and passionate support.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but outside Portsea Island, PFC are not perceived as football giants anymore (or fallen giants for that matter) which appears to be the view of many Pompey fans.

The Eisners have kept their word re their approach so what is the basis for the Protest? Don’t tell me it’s due to poor performance on the pitch alone as any sane person understands rationale for the form drop, injuries/ loss of key players esp in MF. I agree with your point re overuse of loans and the club have acknowledged that so hoping for less loans in the foreseeable.

Don’t worry about the Cowleys, their career is far from screwed, IMHO we will see them employed at a Championship club before too long.
You must be dreaming if you think they'll be employed in the Championship. League one/two is their level imho. As for Eisners keeping their word..cheap H&S work to the stadium to keep it fully open, capacity the same as before. How many players do we have coming through the academy that are currently in the squad, let alone that we can sell for a decent profit? Answer...none. Last player we sold for a profit that came through our academy....Jed Wallace. Here we are mid/lower table league one, looking for our 3rd manager under the Eisners after nearly 6 years...great isn't it. Tectonic plates move faster that these guys. Incidentally if they'd given Jackett a decent January budget 4 years ago we'd have been promoted (not that I liked Jackett, his football was awful) but their tightness ensured we failed. And since then we haven't come close. I agree with the protest, we've gone nowhere under current ownership, and who's to say we'd have gone bust? Any other clubs gone bust due to covid?? Outside of this fairyland board you'll see that plenty of people are unhappy with the Eisners. Brick by brick, more like century by century. It's great being debt free etc but we're stagnant. I'm sure one day we'll get to the Championship with them at the helm, not sure I'll be around to see it and I'm 61. Anyway that's my opinion, sorry I don't agree with most of you, but that's the purpose of (most) message boards.

Actually it was Chaplin, must be worth £1m easily.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

NSRailings wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:32 pm
Claygate wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:19 pm Where is Betelgeuse? I thought he would have a view on this topic when considering his ardent views on the Eisner ownership.
He's left the Board.
Hmmm
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Jed Wallace was signed from another club he didn't come through all the levels. Whitehawk wasn't it?

We can't also forget that we had to sack most of a year group for their racist snapchats.

The academy takes a long time to be fruitful, weirdly last night having read the article on the OS about the academy winning against Cheltenham I found myself on a page about the academy staff - if you read their bios they are all new in the last couple of years.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

cheap H&S work to the stadium to keep it fully open, capacity the same as before.

REALLY ???? you think the works that have been done were just cheap H&S works - you clearly havent been to FP since the works have been done have you ?
They have gone way above and beyond what was required for the H&S works
And you claim you are not a WUM
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:42 am cheap H&S work to the stadium to keep it fully open, capacity the same as before.

REALLY ???? you think the works that have been done were just cheap H&S works - you clearly havent been to FP since the works have been done have you ?
Just because my opinion differs from yours does not make me a WUM.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Okay, I am going to be quite controversial here but this to me reminds me of the run up to the Brexit vote but on a far less important scale.

From my viewpoint I see a few, but very loud, discontented voices with gripes against the current state of affairs at Pompey/Britain and looking to blame the Eisners/EU for all the problems currently facing Pompey/Britain. They believe that the Eisners/EU have, over the years, slowly destroyed what they loved about Pompey/Britain. Some may have a few fact-based reasons but others will just look back with rose tinted glasses to try to convince themselves how great things were before the Eisners/EU. People then start to see, spread, believe only negatives about the Eisners/EU and disregard the stability that they have brought to Pompey/Britain. Suddenly there is a chance to express their feelings and those who are not content with the current results/financial climate are convinced that the protest/referendum is their chance to make everything wonderful again and go along with all that the loudest voices are saying. Those who are content with the status quo generally remain silent but momentum grows and sudenly it appears that the overwhelming view of Pompey supporters/Brits is to get rid of the Eisners/EU. Only then do those who are content with the Eisners/EU start to warn of the consequences of parting ways but they are told that they are fear mongers. The protest goes ahead and sends a message to the Eisners/EU that they are not wanted. Pompey fans/British people, who all wanted the best for their club/contry find themselves at odds with each other and deep divisions appear.

Following the protest/referendum (*everything turns out wonderfully just as described by the dissenters and Pompey/Britain returns back to the top where they belong OR *Many of the fears of those who were content, play out and Pompey/Britain faces a more difficult future than before) *delete as appropriate.

My viewpoint on the protest is be careful what you wish for. Make sure you are protesting based on checked facts and not on rumours/hearsay and ensure that there is a well planned alternative should you eventually get what you want.

I warned you that my post would be controversial. :?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Good analogy but you missed another point as with Brexit this protest movement appears to be different views by different generations
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 30 times

Post by StMonkton »

Your point about ‘Be careful what you wish for ‘ , is very apt. It is the cautionary antidote to the overused ‘Anything would be better than this’, which as we see, ain’t necessarily so.

Without wanting to stir up an argument, this inability to value what we have versus what we might have is why referendums on big issues should have a higher threshold than a majority of 1. I think the original Scottish referendum in the 1970s required a 66% vote to make a change. With that big a figure there is little scope for looking backwards.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Betelgeuse wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:56 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:42 am cheap H&S work to the stadium to keep it fully open, capacity the same as before.

Just because my opinion differs from yours does not make me a WUM.
you are quite right Betelgeuse
so in that case it is your honest opinion that all the works done to the old lady are just cheap H&S works ???
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Well I haven't see the whole ground, but the South Stand looks quite nice although by all accounts a lot of the original is just hardboarded over in other parts of the ground. How's the beverage stalls going? I think the plans for the Milton End are horrible btw. Why not dig out the earth mound?
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Betelgeuse wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:52 pm Well I haven't see the whole ground, but the South Stand looks quite nice although by all accounts a lot of the original is just hardboarded over in other parts of the ground. How's the beverage stalls going? I think the plans for the Milton End are horrible btw. Why not dig out the earth mound?
What lies beneath!!! :shock:
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Betelgeuse wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:52 pm Well I haven't see the whole ground, but the South Stand looks quite nice although by all accounts a lot of the original is just hardboarded over in other parts of the ground. How's the beverage stalls going? I think the plans for the Milton End are horrible btw. Why not dig out the earth mound?
OK so you are basing your "just the cheap H&S works" on some by all accounts hearsay.
I would suggest that rather than put down the amount of works that have been done and the massive improvements that have been made on the basis of by all accounts, take a look for yourself and then, if you still believe it, claim that the owners are skinflint on the cheap cowboys