Proposed protest on Saturday

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

NSRailings
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 60 times

Re: Proposed protest on Saturday

Post by NSRailings »

streetrifle wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:56 pm I completely support this protest and its long overdue. Through their lack of adequate recruitment financing for Cowley and insistence on penny-pinching through the continued use of loanees, the owners have presided this season over a situation where the club has slipped into the bottom half of the league, ruined any chance of promotion/play offs, and screwed up the career of a promising young coach.Some would say that they approach the possibility of promotion with some trepidation and have put forward guards against promotion.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
NSRailings
Milan Mandaric

Post by NSRailings »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:17 pm Changes to the goalposts

Seriously they will be publishing their list of complaints on Friday assuming the snooze will publish it for them
Apparently they're backed with "facts".

I can't help but feel there's an agenda here. Some people don't want to be foreign owned so now we get the creeping campaign to get them out - timed for when we're in a bad run. Nah, this stinks.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Pompey55 »

I look forward to seeing their manifesto on Friday as I don’t get my copy of the Beano until next Monday
NSRailings
Milan Mandaric

Post by NSRailings »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:53 pm I look forward to seeing their manifesto on Friday as I don’t get my copy of the Beano until next Monday
It'll be interesting to see what age they are.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Mickemo »

streetrifle wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:56 pm I completely support this protest and its long overdue. Through their lack of adequate recruitment financing for Cowley and insistence on penny-pinching through the continued use of loanees, the owners have presided this season over a situation where the club has slipped into the bottom half of the league, ruined any chance of promotion/play offs, and screwed up the career of a promising young coach.Some would say that they approach the possibility of promotion with some trepidation and have put forward guards against promotion.
What has happened to us, we were always so proud of our loyal and passionate support.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but outside Portsea Island, PFC are not perceived as football giants anymore (or fallen giants for that matter) which appears to be the view of many Pompey fans.

The Eisners have kept their word re their approach so what is the basis for the Protest? Don’t tell me it’s due to poor performance on the pitch alone as any sane person understands rationale for the form drop, injuries/ loss of key players esp in MF. I agree with your point re overuse of loans and the club have acknowledged that so hoping for less loans in the foreseeable.

Don’t worry about the Cowleys, their career is far from screwed, IMHO we will see them employed at a Championship club before too long.
NSRailings
Milan Mandaric

Post by NSRailings »

Mickemo wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:03 pm What has happened to us, we were always so proud of our loyal and passionate support.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but outside Portsea Island, PFC are not perceived as football giants anymore (or fallen giants for that matter) which appears to be the view of many Pompey fans.

The Eisners have kept their word re their approach so what is the basis for the Protest? Don’t tell me it’s due to poor performance on the pitch alone as any sane person understands rationale for the form drop, injuries/ loss of key players esp in MF. I agree with your point re overuse of loans and the club have acknowledged that so hoping for less loans in the foreseeable.

Don’t worry about the Cowleys, their career is far from screwed, IMHO we will see them employed at a Championship club before too long.
Exactly - and Cullen has already pointed out the overuse of loans won't continue.

The only thing I'd like from the club is the return of the regular Q&A's. I know Catlin looked exasperated at times doing them but I think they need to return.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

NSRailings wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:08 pm
Mickemo wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:03 pm What has happened to us, we were always so proud of our loyal and passionate support.

Exactly - and Cullen has already pointed out the overuse of loans won't continue.

The only thing I'd like from the club is the return of the regular Q&A's. I know Catlin looked exasperated at times doing them but I think they need to return.
They haven't stopped have they?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Mickemo wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:03 pm
What has happened to us, we were always so proud of our loyal and passionate support.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but outside Portsea Island, PFC are not perceived as football giants anymore
In my lifetime we have never been a football giant that if we are totally realistic apart from the Premiership years, have consistently been a tier 2 club with a particularly avid local support
At present we are just below that level but maintain that core support
What we have always been however is a team who’s supporters get behind the team come what may
NSRailings
Milan Mandaric

Post by NSRailings »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:09 pm They haven't stopped have they?
They stopped for a good few months. They used to be monthly on Youtube whether there was news or not and have only just recently begun again. So I hope they continue along with more interviews with the owners.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

With all due respect please could I remind you that a good 50% of Pompey's loyal support comes from the surrounding area and not just limited to Portsea Island. I also disagree with you on how the wider football community see Pompey. Most see us as a big club, not massive in the Manchester, Liverpool, the big London clubs and so on, but too big to be languishing in lower league football. Other than that I basically agree with you.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:33 pm

With all due respect please could I remind you that a good 50% of Pompey's loyal support comes from the surrounding area and not just limited to Portsea Island. I also disagree with you on how the wider football community see Pompey. Most see us as a big club, not massive in the Manchester, Liverpool, the big London clubs and so on, but too big to be languishing in lower league football. Other than that I basically agree with you.
Do they? Most see us as a proper football club not necessarily big.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mickemo »

Portsea Island was a turn of phrase….I meant Portsmouth and surrounding areas.

We can’t be compared to the big London, Manchester or Birmingham clubs IMHO and that view is born out too from the many people I speak with about football on a daily basis.

I believe I am right in saying we have spent much of our time in footballs 2nd tier and in my view this is about right in terms of long term aspiration. I’d like to think we can get to the Prem now and again mind.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mickemo »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:14 pm

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but outside Portsea Island, PFC are not perceived as football giants anymore
In my lifetime we have never been a football giant that if we are totally realistic apart from the Premiership years, have consistently been a tier 2 club with a particularly avid local support
At present we are just below that level but maintain that core support
What we have always been however is a team who’s supporters get behind the team come what may
Yep agreed, hence my comment at the start of my post…..why are Pompey fans protesting, we are better than that.

I will do all I can to drown out any protest on Saturday with applause and clapping!
NSRailings
Milan Mandaric

Post by NSRailings »

Mickemo wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:50 pm I will do all I can to drown out any protest on Saturday with applause and clapping!
Careful, they might use that as thinking you support the protest. I prefer SB's "sit down shut up".
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

Where is Betelgeuse? I thought he would have a view on this topic when considering his ardent views on the Eisner ownership.