John Mousinho?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: John Mousinho?

Post by Dinksy »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:37 am Are there really that many different ways of playing football?
According to the much-loved Jim Smith there were only two ways - head it and kick it.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

I feel that I heard somewhere that they're looking to bring in an experienced coach as a number 2. Jim Smith surely was our greatest number 2.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:52 am I feel that I heard somewhere that they're looking to bring in an experienced coach as a number 2. Jim Smith surely was our greatest number 2.
Not to tarnish the man's memory, but according to Tim Sherwood Jim Smith was known as the BBC liaison. As in 'balls, bibs and cones'. When asked what he actually did, he said 'we have no idea'.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:52 am I feel that I heard somewhere that they're looking to bring in an experienced coach as a number 2. Jim Smith surely was our greatest number 2.
They have talked about bringing together an experienced coaching team.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I think Barker was our biggest number two followed by Jackett & Cowley.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Great we got a win in his first match. It really is the deep end for him and a massive amount of pressure. So nothing but support and fingers crossed.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

2 matches in charge. 2 clean sheets and 4 goals...
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 157 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Interesting quote from Moushino in the snooze
“I’m not going to ask players to play out of position”
Well that’s certainly a change from before
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:43 pm Interesting quote from Moushino in the snooze
That could be read in different ways of course, one such being that he won't ask them, he'll tell them :wink:
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:08 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:43 pm Interesting quote from Moushino in the snooze
That could be read in different ways of course, one such being that he won't ask them, he'll tell them :wink:
And some people say I always take a negative view :D
NSRailings
Alan Knight

Post by NSRailings »

I'd like to know more about recuitment and how much say Mousinho has when choosing the players. Is it a case of Hughes suggesting players and JM having the final say or not?
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

NSRailings wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:33 pm I'd like to know more about recuitment and how much say Mousinho has when choosing the players. Is it a case of Hughes suggesting players and JM having the final say or not?
Well Hughes didn't do so good recruiting the manager for Forest Green...they've just sacked him!!
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

NSRailings wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:33 pm I'd like to know more about recuitment and how much say Mousinho has when choosing the players. Is it a case of Hughes suggesting players and JM having the final say or not?
I’m getting the impression that Moushino has been pretty much told that what we have got at present is what he has to work with them until the next window
His comments today regarding strikers is that’s it we have Bishop, Pigott and Scarlett and that’s it for now
I tend to think that JM will be reliant upon players he has very little input on
He says what he needs for the team and gets what he’s given that’s our new model like it or lump it
He’s a coach not a manager he will get given players who fit his plans no matter if he rates them or not
Welcome to our new reality
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:57 pm
I’m getting the impression that Moushino has been pretty much told that what we have got at present is what he has to work with them until the next window
His comments today regarding strikers is that’s it we have Bishop, Pigott and Scarlett and that’s it for now
I tend to think that JM will be reliant upon players he has very little input on
He says what he needs for the team and gets what he’s given that’s our new model like it or lump it
He’s a coach not a manager he will get given players who fit his plans no matter if he rates them or not
Welcome to our new reality
I think the first part of that is probably true, although I do think we might bring one or two new faces in before the deadline. However I tend to disagree on the second part, while I don't necessarily think he will be making all the final decisions, he absolutely will have some input into the players we sign.

How I'd expect it to work in a model where there is a DoF is that Mousinho, Hughes and our recruitment/scouting team would all work together to identify targets.

At most clubs, when an urgent need for a player in a particular position is identified, there will be a combination of existing targets that the club has, looking at the data to identify other targets and players who are identified by the coach (or DoF) that he would like.

As an example, sometimes the coach might say he wants a centre back and the recruitment team would provide a shortlist of 3-5 suitable players who are realistic targets and fit the club's model. The coach might suggest another candidate (perhaps one that he's worked with at another club, or someone he feels he might be able to get on loan through his contacts). What varies from club to club is what percentage input the coach or director of football has and who makes the final decisions, but I'd be confident that both will have some input.

I'd say it's a lot more nuanced than "he will get given players who fit his plans no matter if he rates them or not", because I'd imagine if the coach really doesn't rate them then the club wouldn't sign them - it would be pretty stupid to sign a player who you know the coach isn't going to give game time to. If there's a good working relationship between the coach and the DoF and they have a similar vision for where the club's heading, these situations tend not to arise anyway.
NSRailings
Alan Knight

Post by NSRailings »

Thanks for the replies 55 and PM. It's a question I'd like to hear on a Q&A. Where does the buck stop regarding any players who don't work out? Is it Mousinho or Hughes? Seems like a very finely balanced structure and maybe a little unfair if supporters don't know how it works.