Rate The Owner: Milan Mandarić

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Rate The Owner: Milan Mandarić

Post by Sam_Brown »

Instead of the usual debates I thought I might mix it up a bit and do a series of threads looking at the history of our club and discussing owners, managers etc. I'm fairly young compared to some on here so would be really good to learn more about our great club and it's history by probing the brains of our more esteemed members.

Today's topic is Milan Mandarić!

I was born in Portsmouth in St Marys but moved at a pretty young age. I think my first Pompey match was in the mid 90s but I don't think I took an active interest until maybe the late 90s which incidentally happened to be when Milan took ownership.

Few Facts
* Took over in 1999
* Apparently convinced to buy a club by George Best (according to Wiki)
* We won the Championship in 2003
* Notable bust up with Redknapp which saw him leave to join the scum.
* Had the balls to Bring Redknapp back when relegation was all but certain who helped us perform "The Great Escape".
* Resigned as Chairman in September 2006 after selling the club to Gaydakmak which was the beginning of our fall into financial ruin.

Do you blame him for the financial position we found ourselves in? Do you have a fond place in your heart for the Serbian born Millionaire or do you curse his name whenever you hear it uttered?

Love to get some opinions!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Re: Rate The Owner: Milan Mandarić

Post by Blue Walter »

I had a lot of respect for him really. He was honest enough to say that he bought the club to sell at a profit from the outset. He explained that what he did for a sort of hobby/living was to buy sports clubs and sort them out and then sell them on. He did say that after he bought these clubs he did develop an affiliation with them and that Pompey was at the top of that affiliation list. He did just what he said he would do and woke the club up from it's slumber. He gave us the best season I can remember with that Championship winning team that played the best attacking football that I have ever seen from Pompey. Then he sold the club to Gaydamac who passed the 'fit & proper' test and then he moved onto his next project, Leicester. and done exactly the same with them.

So, no I hold him in high regard especially when I think of that 2002-3 team. I needed the release that team gave me because at that time I was going through an extremely bad time in my life.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

I’ll never forget the Promotion season under Harry, Toddy and Merse….obv this happened under Milan’s tenure so perhaps I’m remembering through rose tinted glasses but I think Milan’s years were broadly a success.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Getting Prosinecki in a Pompey shirt still one of the best things I have ever seen in the world of football. It was announced, and every other club, including Premiership teams were going 'wait - what?'.

And I don't blame Milan one bit for getting out when the financial demand became unsustainable. He certainly didn't just dump and run. His successors may have had dubious qualities, but I like to think of Milan being the bedrock of a decade of success in the history of PFC.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Weybridge wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:30 pm And I don't blame Milan one bit for getting out when the financial demand became unsustainable.
Me neither, and I think that is a really excellent point in the current debate about the Eisners - they are putting in all the groundwork now to push the point that is unaffordable for them further down the road (if at all).
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Best owner in my lifetime.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

I agree, Mandaric was fantastic and bring Prosinecki to Pompey was just brilliant. When he sold to Gaydamak we were going well until his father had his assets frozen, so don't blame Mandaric for that at all.
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Weybridge wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:30 pm Getting Prosinecki in a Pompey shirt still one of the best things I have ever seen in the world of football. It was announced, and every other club, including Premiership teams were going 'wait - what?'.

And I don't blame Milan one bit for getting out when the financial demand became unsustainable. He certainly didn't just dump and run. His successors may have had dubious qualities, but I like to think of Milan being the bedrock of a decade of success in the history of PFC.
This sums up how I feel about it too, I think he'll always be fondly remembered at Pompey :thumb
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

Agree with this. He did right by us and gave us some great memories.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Sorry to break up the love fest but he sold us to gun runners which nearly took the club out of business. Sat on a JCB with hard hat on pretending that it was the start of the ground rebuild. :(
Look nice bloke & all that but the decision above nearly did for us. IMO he could've found better a potential owner.
Bluesbro'
Interim Manager
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Bluesbro' »

On the subject of Prosinecki. I dont know if any of you saw this but he's coming back. :thumb

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/foot ... g3NgFn07I4
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

pompeygunner wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:34 pm Sorry to break up the love fest but he sold us to gun runners which nearly took the club out of business. Sat on a JCB with hard hat on pretending that it was the start of the ground rebuild. :(
Look nice bloke & all that but the decision above nearly did for us. IMO he could've found better a potential owner.
Not correct. He sold us to Gaydamak junior who, as far as anybody knew, was legit. It was his father who was the gunrunner and who was supplying the son with money. Nobody, especially Mandaric, were aware of that situation and I'm certain that had he known would not have proceeded.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

eltorrro wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:51 pm
pompeygunner wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:34 pm Sorry to break up the love fest but he sold us to gun runners which nearly took the club out of business. Sat on a JCB with hard hat on pretending that it was the start of the ground rebuild. :(
Not correct. He sold us to Gaydamak junior who, as far as anybody knew, was legit. It was his father who was the gunrunner and who was supplying the son with money. Nobody, especially Mandaric, were aware of that situation and I'm certain that had he known would not have proceeded.
That’s my understanding as well. Gaydamak did pass the Fit and Proper persons test as well at the time which was meant to be a gold seal of approval but looking at the subsequent owners obvious how unfit that test was.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Charente
Paul Merson
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Charente »

I remember Mr M addressing the crowd when he took over at the end of the season we just escaped relegation to the third division. He promised the fans that while he was the owner we would not be in that position again. And to be fair that is what happened. So, from my perspective I appreciated what he did for Pompey.
Sawbo Blue
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Sawbo Blue »

pompeygunner wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:34 pm IMO he could've found better a potential owner.
I agree. I think owners do have a moral responsibility to look at who they are selling to, beyond the clearly unfit F&PP test. Mandaric chose to look the other way, as did I, as did other fans, as did the Premier League. Gaydamak was obviously dodgy and the source of "his" wealth stank to high heaven. While I think Milan's legacy is on the whole very positive, I don't regard him as entirely blameless.