Gary Lineker steps back.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Gary Lineker steps back.

Post by New Forester »

Temporarily?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Re: Gary Lineker steps back.

Post by RubiconCSL »

Maybe he should stick to football. I don't often see Keir Starmer commenting on the latest formation Southgate has chosen.
New Forester wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:48 pm Temporarily?
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

RubiconCSL wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:03 pm Maybe he should stick to football. I don't often see Keir Starmer commenting on the latest formation Southgate has chosen.
New Forester wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:48 pm Temporarily?
The idea that Lineker cannot share an informed opinion of anything other than football is complete nonsense.

Essentially, the BBC is running scared of the Right Wing media.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

The words "Nazi & Germany" together are offensive to many and for someone deep in the public view to make those comments is abusing his position!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I thought his remarks were ridiculously exaggerated and ill informed. To compare any British political party with the Nazi leadership of the 1930's is just plain stupid in my opinion. There is no comparison with what the government is proposing and the actions of the German state in that era. He claims he was merely 'sticking up' for those with no voice, which is admirable, but he could have done that without going 'over the top' with his rhetoric.

I can't think that the BBC are concerned about upsetting any right wing organisation as they are generally the mouthpiece of the left and, dare I say, the woke community. I don't believe he should be silenced from making his veiws known or face the sack. I do think that a man in his position should make his veiws known in a far less exaggerated way and, perhaps, with more accuracy.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

I think you'll more than likely find people on the left criticising the BBC for being too right wing and people on the right criticising the BBC for being too left wing.

I will address your point on the BBC not being concerned about upsetting the right with the following.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/ ... lash-fears
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Charente
Paul Merson
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Charente »

Lineker was quite careful in his choice of words. There was no mention of Nazis. And remember that Hitler was voted in. We live in dangerous times.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Charente wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:28 pm Lineker was quite careful in his choice of words. There was no mention of Nazis. And remember that Hitler was voted in. We live in dangerous times.
Yes he was narrowly voted in and then destroyed the Reichstag and most of those who disagreed with him. Thus removing democracy, he then went on to arrest and imprison the Jewish population before killing most of them. How can anyone liken the policies of a properly democratically elected government to German politics after 1933.
Last edited by BlueinPLtwenty on Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Charente wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:28 pm Lineker was quite careful in his choice of words. There was no mention of Nazis. And remember that Hitler was voted in. We live in dangerous times.
I agree he actually said that the language being used by Braverman was reminiscent of the language used in Germany during the thirties
No mention whatsoever of the Nazis
Personally I’d like to see the invasion by 100 million people using small boats as claimed by her
That’s about 2.5 million boats!
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Pompey55 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:49 pm
I agree he actually said that the language being used by Braverman was reminiscent of the language used in Germany during the thirties
No mention whatsoever of the Nazis
Personally I’d like to see the invasion by 100 million people using small boats as claimed by her
That’s about 2.5 million boats!
When you choose the words Germany in the `thirties`you automatically link those comments to the Nazis because they were in power in Germany in those years
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:49 pm
Yes he was narrowly voted in and then destroyed the Reichstag and most of those who disagreed with him. Thus removing democracy, he then went on to arrest and imprison the Jewish population before killing most of them. How can anyone liken the policies of a properly democratically elected government to German politics after 1933.
A recent well received research report strongly suggest that the Nazis did not burn the Reichstag but it was an something which unwittingly assisted them
And Lineker was comparing the language being used not the policies as such
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

He didn't need to mention Hitler, or anyone else for that matter, because he described the government's approach to be reminiscent of Germany in the 1930's. You say they were voted in but they made sure there wasn't too many rivals around to go up against them. Are you suggesting that the 1932 German election campaign was conducted along the same lines as ours? Are you also suggesting that Hitler's rise to power in 1934 had any similarities with general elections here?

The BBC should not have any leanings, left or right, but up until recently they have had a left sided agenda. Now they appear to be swinging the other way to be right influenced. Whichever way they are inclined they should stick to being impartial and not concern themselves with upsetting either faction. I don't agree that Lineker should be sacked but I do think his bosses should remind him that making ill informed public utterances is not the right way to go.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

I sorry but the comments in question were specifically with regard to the language being used to justify the policy not the policy
It was not comparing the Tory’s with the Nazis it was questioning the language being used to justify a particular policy
It’s very interesting to listen to many Tory politicians with regard to immigration quoting how well we are helping Ukrainian refugees but not mentioning our appalling treatment of the refugees who helped us in Kabul and other areas
To me suggests a bias maybe one is white Anglo-Saxon the other not but I suspect that’s acceptable commentary
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

I think there are an awful lot of hypocrites about who have been going on and on about cancel culture this or snowflakes that but when they hear something that they don't like or assume could be upsetting to others, they are very quick to jump on the cancel bandwagon. (genuinely not aimed at anyone in this room so far as nobody has called for or agreed with Lineker to be silenced)

I think it is absolutely appalling that, when there are atrocities occurring across the world, a cost of living crisis in our country and countless other dreadful events occurring, the Gary Lineker story was headlines in all the usual media outlets. And this backs up perfectly what he was saying! It seems that rather than top Ministers feeling the wrath of the voter, the 'right wing government supporting press' make them hate Harry and Megan, instead of Ministers holding their hands up to the abysmal way they have handled the small boat issue, the 'right wing government supporting press' make the voter hate the refugees, instead of ministers accepting that the NHS and Education are at all time lows, they blame the nurses and teacher's unions, and of course, instead of accepting all the disgusting comments coming out from WhattsAppgate, they try to get us to hate the widely popular left wing sports presenter for expressing his views.

These very much are tactics that were used in Germany in the 30's and more alarmingly is the brazen way in which our current Government are saying that they are prepared to break international law to get their way. If the fear mongering of the 'billions' of people invading our country in small boats was not constantly rammed down our throats by the likes of Farage, Johnson and their ilk, would the small boat issue really have been top of many people's agenda?

Rant over, my views and I appreciate there are others.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Pompey55 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:37 pm To me suggests a bias maybe one is white Anglo-Saxon the other not but I suspect that’s acceptable commentary
I might be wide of the mark here but...

Isn't it a fact that the greatest number of 'refugees' arriving on our shores by boat are Albanians?

Isn't it a fact that Albanians are 'white Anglo Saxons'?

Just asking like!! :?