England Game

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 114 times

England Game

Post by Blue Walter »

Did anyone see the game like I did? While I am glad we won I just found it so boring. Two good goals, especially Saka's, and then it was walking pace after that. It looked like much of the crowd left early and to be quite honest who can blame them. The atmosphere was flat with the game played in near silence. I wonder it the players forget that it is meant to be an entertainment and they just saw it as job done at 2-0. I think it is such a pity because we have got so much attacking talent that they could really put on a show.
NSRailings
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 60 times

Re: England Game

Post by NSRailings »

Or maybe it's because Ukraine are at war and people are dying.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 37 times

Post by PeteM »

Once they were 2-0 up, England controlled the game against a decent opponent who reached the quarter finals of the last Euros.

A few years ago, people moaned that we weren't professional enough and didn't see games out like Germany/Italy/Spain (delete as appropriate). It was job done at 2-0.

We've started a potentially difficult group with wins against the other two sides who can realistically qualify in the top two places. What more could they have done? We played superbly in the first half against Italy too.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

All about results and game management. As Tommy Docherty once said, if you want entertainment, go watch a circus.......or it's modern-day equivelent, parliament live TV.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

NSRailings wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:23 pm Or maybe it's because Ukraine are at war and people are dying.
To be quite honest I think that reply is rather pious. I think England showed them the respect they deserved, as indeed our country has all through this terrible war. The Ukrainians themselves said before the game how grateful they are to this country for its support. Then added that all friendship goes out the window for the game. They were here to play a football match which, if all went to plan, was to take points off of England to stop us from qualifying whilst helping themselves to qualification. The game itself had nothing to do with war.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

PeteM wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:44 pm Once they were 2-0 up, England controlled the game against a decent opponent who reached the quarter finals of the last Euros.

A few years ago, people moaned that we weren't professional enough and didn't see games out like Germany/Italy/Spain (delete as appropriate). It was job done at 2-0.

We've started a potentially difficult group with wins against the other two sides who can realistically qualify in the top two places. What more could they have done? We played superbly in the first half against Italy too.
Yes I realise that but the game had turned into a non event at walking pace. We more than controlled the game and once we were 2-0 up it was game over, the Ukraine were not able to muster a shot on goal. Yes we did play superbly against Italy, especially in the first half but I don't really see the significance of that concerning this game. You are right Italy and the Ukraine are our main rivals in this group and goal difference could well make the difference.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Dinksy wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:00 pm All about results and game management. As Tommy Docherty once said, if you want entertainment, go watch a circus.......or it's modern-day equivelent, parliament live TV.
So going to watch a football match is not meant to be entertaining then? Those people who went to Wembley should have known better.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I arrived home just as Kane scored the first goal and obviously before Saka`s goal. It was a professional performance with the Players getting to know each other and they stopped Ukraine from playing effectively. What we would have given for Pompey to have done that yesterday.

See FG Rovers beat Wednesday 1-0 today, those above us are faultering, keep the faith PUP
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

Blue Walter wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:42 pm
Dinksy wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:00 pm All about results and game management. As Tommy Docherty once said, if you want entertainment, go watch a circus.......or it's modern-day equivelent, parliament live TV.
So going to watch a football match is not meant to be entertaining then? Those people who went to Wembley should have known better.
I would say for virtually all players and managers, entertainment is certainly secondary to results. Results is what fans want also, entertainment is a bonus. The England game featured two great goals, worth the entrance money itself. Fans will forget about the tedious second half and just remember those two bits of magic.
Rjk66
Alan Biley
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Rjk66 »

I gave up watching at half time and glad I did
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

I felt the same as BW. I just wish we could have scored earlier and got a third so that we at least could relax.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Dinksy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:36 am
Blue Walter wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:42 pm
I would say for virtually all players and managers, entertainment is certainly secondary to results. Results is what fans want also, entertainment is a bonus. The England game featured two great goals, worth the entrance money itself. Fans will forget about the tedious second half and just remember those two bits of magic.
If it's just results you want why bother going to games? Of course managers & players want the result above everything else, they are paid by results. I have been to Wembley loads of times to watch England but I would have felt short changed if I had put in the effort, and expense, to watch two good goals and then sit through a display of walking football. You seem to be talking for all football fans in general but I don't think you have got that synopsis completely correct. Speaking for myself I am glad we won, I am an England fan, but I was disappointed that our team didn't put on more of a show.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

New Forester wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:34 am I felt the same as BW. I just wish we could have scored earlier and got a third so that we at least could relax.
Thank goodness for that. I think I have become a bit of a pariah on this site.
Bluesbro'
Interim Manager
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Bluesbro' »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:58 pm See FG Rovers beat Wednesday 1-0 today, those above us are faultering, keep the faith PUP
..... And our next game is against. :shock:
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

Blue Walter wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:12 am
New Forester wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:34 am I felt the same as BW. I just wish we could have scored earlier and got a third so that we at least could relax.
Thank goodness for that. I think I have become a bit of a pariah on this site.
Hardly a pariah, BW. All fans would like to have see more entertainment but a dull win is better than a showcase draw/defeat.