Chelsea a Good Example

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Chelsea a Good Example

Post by jam tomorrow »

The appointment of Potter demonstrates why leaving the head coach appointment to an American who doesn't have any idea what he/she are doing. Thats why appointing a UK based Sports Director who understands the system and is knowledgeable of the football market is essential. We have Hughes who I'm sure is guiding our owners with the right decisions going forward and will avoid us spending money unnecessarily.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: Chelsea a Good Example

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

They have a sporting director - not sure when they were put into place.

I think the problems at Chelsea are more wide ranging than the manager though.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times

Post by Dinksy »

It's complicated at Chelsea. Last year the owner Todd Boehly appointed himself as Sporting Director. Then after spending almost 300m of his own money on flops decided to bring someone in. Talk about a fool and his money.. He's still in LaLa land though awarding crazy contracts to players. I think one of them is on a SEVEN YEAR deal. This kind of business model can only destablise the whole future of the club.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Dinksy wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:59 pm It's complicated at Chelsea. Last year the owner Todd Boehly appointed himself as Sporting Director. Then after spending almost 300m of his own money on flops decided to bring someone in. Talk about a fool and his money.. He's still in LaLa land though awarding crazy contracts to players. I think one of them is on a SEVEN YEAR deal. This kind of business model can only destablise the whole future of the club.
My understanding of the extra long contract is that fees etc can be amortized over that period and was a way of getting around FFP however EUFA are changing the rule to stop this happening limiting contracts to a maximum 5 years after Chelsea made 7.5 year and 8.5 year contracts to avoid breaking FFP rules
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Pompey55 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:53 pm
Dinksy wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:59 pm It's complicated at Chelsea. Last year the owner Todd Boehly appointed himself as Sporting Director. Then after spending almost 300m of his own money on flops decided to bring someone in. Talk about a fool and his money.. He's still in LaLa land though awarding crazy contracts to players. I think one of them is on a SEVEN YEAR deal. This kind of business model can only destablise the whole future of the club.
My understanding of the extra long contract is that fees etc can be amortized over that period and was a way of getting around FFP however EUFA are changing the rule to stop this happening limiting contracts to a maximum 5 years after Chelsea made 7.5 year and 8.5 year contracts to avoid breaking FFP rules
This is exactly the reason. If their recruitment was good, it might work quite well because they'd have a set of talented young players to build with - if it wasn't, they're going to be stuck with players on big money who they can't shift and will have FFP issues for several years to come. Already talk that they need to sell players this summer to balance the books (especially home grown players who show as a big profit on the books, which is the main reason why Mason Mount is being linked with a move away at the moment).

Going back to the original post, I don't think Potter is a bad manager - he's just a terrible fit for Chelsea because they won't give him time to build anything which is how he operates.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

I agree Potter is not a bad manager but I dont feel he is ready for a big club like Chelsea who have already got an infrastructure he would be ideal for a club like ?????
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

The strange scenario is that Rogers is reported to be on the Chelsea list of potential managers while Potter is on the Leicester one.

I think the problem with the Chelsea job is that they want immediate success and the expensive players they bring in are expected to do just that. People like Potter achieves success over time by building a team like he did at Brighton. I suppose Rogers is similar to that as well. You would have thought that with the price of the players that Chelsea bring in instant success was almost guaranteed. Obviously it doesn't work like that.
Jaspers ghost
Collins Mbesuma
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Jaspers ghost »

jam tomorrow wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:54 pm I agree Potter is not a bad manager but I dont feel he is ready for a big club like Chelsea who have already got an infrastructure he would be ideal for a club like ?????
:smt006
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Jaspers ghost wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:17 pm
jam tomorrow wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:54 pm I agree Potter is not a bad manager but I dont feel he is ready for a big club like Chelsea who have already got an infrastructure he would be ideal for a club like ?????
:lol: - are you hoping that he's looking for a bit of fresh south coast air again?
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

What, Southampton??
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Apparently that's a new record. 12 prem managers sacked in 1 season.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Jaspers ghost
Collins Mbesuma
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Jaspers ghost »

Blue Walter wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:43 pm

What, Southampton??
We’re going to need someone , and a whole new squad , and the moon on a stick !
paullucas
Collins Mbesuma

Post by paullucas »

I understand your frustration with the appointment of an American head coach who may not be familiar with the intricacies of the UK football market. However, I must caution against making sweeping generalizations about individuals based solely on their nationality. There are many talented coaches from all over the world who can bring unique perspectives and strategies to a team.

That being said, I agree that having a UK-based Sports Director who is knowledgeable about the football market can be a valuable asset for a team. They can provide valuable insights into the local football scene, help navigate regulatory hurdles, and provide connections to other key players in the industry.

It's encouraging to hear that your team has someone like Hughes guiding the owners and making sure that sound decisions are being made. As you mentioned, avoiding unnecessary spending is crucial for any team's success. A Sports Director who understands the market can be an essential component of achieving this goal.

Ultimately, the success of a team depends on a wide range of factors, including the talent and dedication of the players, the effectiveness of the coaching staff, and the soundness of the management decisions. By working together and leveraging the unique skills and expertise of individuals from different backgrounds, a team can position itself for long-term success.