Which Players Should Pompey Build Around Next Season?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Re: Which Players Should Pompey Build Around Next Season?

Post by Blue Walter »

Mickemo wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:29 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:58 pm
Jack_Tinn wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:19 pm Re: Bishop.

I wonder if a Championship club came in for him during the off-season whether Pompey could learn from the experience when they sold Webster to Ipswich. They took a large-ish sum up front (750k), a sell on clause for the profit and got a young player they rated (Clarke) back in return. Clarke was sold later for what £3.5m or so to Brighton after Pompey got two further seasons from him.

Say Bishop netted £1m up front with a 25% sell on clause on the profit and one or two young players for the first team that the club wanted in return. Almost a hybrid of a UK football transfer with a US sports type trade for prospects that Pompey covert.

Just a suggestion... It worked out wonderfully with Webster and I think this is a better model than perhaps the way the money from selling Clarke was invested into Harrison and Marquis.

PS. I don't want Pompey to sell Bishop in the summer. We have waited a long time to have a regular goal scorer who can also lead the line and it would be folly to let him go after just a year ....unless the deal was too good to turn down.
It's a funny old game... For the last few years we have bemoaned the lack of a 20 goal a season striker to get us out this league... And ironically we have come closer to promotion without a 20 goal a season striker.
This is so true, last season we created a decent number of chances but only had JM as our CF. This is why I keep on bring up the Harness sale and why we should have kept him AND purchased Bishop. I’m convinced we’d be top 6 now. Poor decision to sell him to one of our main rivals.

Apparently the Ipswich fans don’t rate Harness too much so he clearly divides opinion as I rated him highly.

I agree with that and I have thought all season that it was a mistake to sell Harness, especially to a rival. However, would we have got Bishop if the club hadn't had sold Harness? It appears that the money received from his sale funded all our transfer activity. That means we may not have got some of the other summer arrivals as well.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

True but there was a difference, Lowe had an opportunity to play in the Chumpionship whereas Harness moved to another L1 side.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Mickemo wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:16 pm True but there was a difference, Lowe had an opportunity to play in the Chumpionship whereas Harness moved to another L1 side.
I am sorry but I don't understand your point here.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:57 pm Same as selling Jamal Lowe, should have just offered him more money.
Lowe made it clear he wanted a move to a higher level that’s why his form and interest dropped of it wasn’t solely about money
He pretty much gave the club little choice