Sunday Alarm

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Sunday Alarm

Post by Blue Walter »

I was listening to the radio where they were discussing this alarm signal at 3 pm on Sunday. Personally I think it is a good idea but I am not surprised that some people are dead against it. Using an attack on civil liberties and an invasion off privacy as an argument against it. There was also a discussion on how to opt out of it and how to turn it off when it goes off. The Government has asked people not to opt out or turn it off so that people will be aware and what to expect in an emergency. This alarm will be on for 10 seconds so I wouldn't think that is too intrusive, but it is for some people apparently. I understand that we are the only major country in the world that does not have an emergency signal of some kind.

As I have said I think it is a good idea and I wondered what others thought on this forum.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: Sunday Alarm

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:16 pm I was listening to the radio where they were discussing this alarm signal at 3 pm on Sunday. Personally I think it is a good idea but I am not surprised that some people are dead against it. Using an attack on civil liberties and an invasion off privacy as an argument against it. There was also a discussion on how to opt out of it and how to turn it off when it goes off. The Government has asked people not to opt out or turn it off so that people will be aware and what to expect in an emergency. This alarm will be on for 10 seconds so I wouldn't think that is too intrusive, but it is for some people apparently. I understand that we are the only major country in the world that does not have an emergency signal of some kind.

As I have said I think it is a good idea and I wondered what others thought on this forum.
I think it's an excellent idea - as long as it doesn't get diluted by being used to tell us it's going to be a bit windy.

I don't see it as an attack on civil liberties, but then again I believe ID cards should be introduced.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:36 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:16 pm I was listening to the radio where they were discussing this alarm signal at 3 pm on Sunday. Personally I think it is a good idea but I am not surprised that some people are dead against it. Using an attack on civil liberties and an invasion off privacy as an argument against it. There was also a discussion on how to opt out of it and how to turn it off when it goes off. The Government has asked people not to opt out or turn it off so that people will be aware and what to expect in an emergency. This alarm will be on for 10 seconds so I wouldn't think that is too intrusive, but it is for some people apparently. I understand that we are the only major country in the world that does not have an emergency signal of some kind.

I think it's an excellent idea - as long as it doesn't get diluted by being used to tell us it's going to be a bit windy.

I don't see it as an attack on civil liberties, but then again I believe ID cards should be introduced.
Oddly enough I totally agree with you.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Blue Walter wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:51 pm

lmao we can't have people agreeing on here... what's the world coming to.

I also agree... :D
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

I'll probably forget it's going to happen and try to snog whoever's next to me.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

NSRailings wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:15 pm I'll probably forget it's going to happen and try to snog whoever's next to me.
Really glad it's not Saturday 15:00!
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Look what happened the last time the government tried to keep us safe. Already turned the notifications off.
NSRailings
Alan Knight

Post by NSRailings »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:41 pm
NSRailings wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:15 pm I'll probably forget it's going to happen and try to snog whoever's next to me.
So am I :lol:
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

NSRailings wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:01 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:41 pm
So am I :lol:
Ha, yeah it might wake the players up 😴
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Lol :rofl
I suspect you think as I do what its really about. I cannot believe its come to this really & I worry for my kids & Grandchildren & all we hold dear.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

pompeygunner wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:43 pm
Lol :rofl
I suspect you think as I do what its really about. I cannot believe its come to this really & I worry for my kids & Grandchildren & all we hold dear.
If, you are alluding to what I think you are alluding to. They won't bother using it - the carnage sending a message like that would cause would stop the plans in place for the very very few from being actionable. Better to spend your last 20 minutes blissfully unaware.
NSRailings
Alan Knight

Post by NSRailings »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:32 pm Better to spend your last 20 minutes blissfully unaware.
No, no. I want my 20 minute snog. Especially as I thought it was only 15 minutes.

Honestly, the whole thing's pathetic. It's just the government showing what they can do.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

NSRailings wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:51 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:32 pm Better to spend your last 20 minutes blissfully unaware.
No, no. I want my 20 minute snog. Especially as I thought it was only 15 minutes.

Honestly, the whole thing's pathetic. It's just the government showing what they can do.
Yeah, as if they don't interfere in people's lives enough as it is.
NSRailings
Alan Knight

Post by NSRailings »

Mr Dee wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:19 am
NSRailings wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:51 pm

Yeah, as if they don't interfere in people's lives enough as it is.
Pathetic was maybe a bit harsh but I wouldn't trust this government with anything.

I remember there were siren tests in the early 80's.
Jaspers ghost
Collins Mbesuma
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Jaspers ghost »

Sam_Brown wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:53 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:51 pm

lmao we can't have people agreeing on here... what's the world coming to.

I also agree... :D

I agree as well .

I also think ID cards are a good idea .