Accrington.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: Accrington.

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:42 am As much as I hate to attribute things to one specific player is it not the case that when Moushino took over he had a fit and available Morrell however for the last four games he has been missing and our results dropped away from the moment he got himself sent off
I can not really see that this was pure coincidence
I've said most of the season if Morrell plays well, we play well. I believe he is the only real piece of genuine quality we have in the squad.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:53 am I also wonder whether the contract situation has anything to do with the teams current poor form. Are some players naffed off that it appears the club doesn't want them here and they are just keeping the shirt warm for someone else to come in and fill it? Loan players who are coming to the end would most likely to feel this way, although low work rate and lack of effort can not be directed at Dale. Nor Bernard for that matter because he was just about the only shining light on Saturday. You could, perhaps, understand Piggott sulking as well because I think he has been really under used by both Cowley & Mousinho. I don't know what the problem is but there is something inherently wrong within this squad that should be offering so much more.
Is Piggott really all that? I see very little from him when I've seen him play, I don't think his playing style or body language really helps, but I don't see a player there you build a side wanting to get to the championship around - and clearly neither did Ipswich
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:23 am
Blue Walter wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:53 am I also wonder whether the contract situation has anything to do with the teams current poor form. Are some players naffed off that it appears the club doesn't want them here and they are just keeping the shirt warm for someone else to come in and fill it? Loan players who are coming to the end would most likely to feel this way, although low work rate and lack of effort can not be directed at Dale. Nor Bernard for that matter because he was just about the only shining light on Saturday. You could, perhaps, understand Piggott sulking as well because I think he has been really under used by both Cowley & Mousinho. I don't know what the problem is but there is something inherently wrong within this squad that should be offering so much more.
Is Piggott really all that? I see very little from him when I've seen him play, I don't think his playing style or body language really helps, but I don't see a player there you build a side wanting to get to the championship around - and clearly neither did Ipswich
No, for one thing Ipswich spent money instead. Piggott is an experienced and successful player at League One level with a proven track record. I think he is just the sort of player you would want at this level. He is tall, good with his head, takes a decent free kick and scores goals. I don't think he has been given a fair run here in my opinion. Especially in our position where we haven't got the ability to break down defences having two strikers up top gives the hopeful punt forward more chance. Having two strikers looking for goal scoring chances gives a side more forward passing options instead of endless sideways and back passing. I think Piggott is an ideal player to have at this level.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

He has a decent ability for L1 and he works ok where the opposition is more defensively minded so his lack of pace isn’t so important, when we play stronger more offensive sides I feel he doesn’t offer us enough.

I would be thanking JP for his efforts and sending him back to Ipswich
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Mickemo wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:34 pm He has a decent ability for L1 and he works ok where the opposition is more defensively minded so his lack of pace isn’t so important, when we play stronger more offensive sides I feel he doesn’t offer us enough.

I always felt that he was something of a panic loan when we sold them Harness as at that time Bishop was not on our immediate radar, once we signed Bishop and then got Scarlett who on paper seemed to be a bit of a coup considering how highly rated he is(was)then his playing time was always going to be limited
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:09 pm
Mickemo wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:34 pm He has a decent ability for L1 and he works ok where the opposition is more defensively minded so his lack of pace isn’t so important, when we play stronger more offensive sides I feel he doesn’t offer us enough.

I always felt that he was something of a panic loan when we sold them Harness as at that time Bishop was not on our immediate radar, once we signed Bishop and then got Scarlett who on paper seemed to be a bit of a coup considering how highly rated he is(was)then his playing time was always going to be limited
By all accounts we wanted Piggott the summer before when he went to Ipswich.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Last night`s results show that although some on here think Pompey should win every match 5-0, Accrington & Oxford`s results put things in perspective. Pompey`s win on saturday against a Team who have gone to a place like Bolton and taken all three points and kept a clean sheet makes a different slant to some of the drivel on this post. Oxford`s four goals last night indicate our draw there was not a bad result after all. WE (Pompey) are where we are, poised with positive recruitment in the summer (which I am confident will happen with the new regime) ready to mount a serious challenge next season!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Victory Stadium
Martin Kuhl

Post by Victory Stadium »

Well, we did better than Bolton.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:29 am Last night`s results show that although some on here think Pompey should win every match 5-0, Accrington & Oxford`s results put things in perspective. Pompey`s win on saturday against a Team who have gone to a place like Bolton and taken all three points and kept a clean sheet makes a different slant to some of the drivel on this post. Oxford`s four goals last night indicate our draw there was not a bad result after all. WE (Pompey) are where we are, poised with positive recruitment in the summer (which I am confident will happen with the new regime) ready to mount a serious challenge next season!
I don't actually follow that. Obviously with Accrington winning makes us champions for luckily beating them on Saturday in the drabist game of the season. I suppose that makes our display against them on Saturday good now. Our draw with Oxford now becomes highly creditable because they won 4-0 last night. So that means that the teams in the 17 games before last night are also great because Oxford didn't beat them either. Drivel, I assume, is stuff that you don't agree with then?
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:18 pm
I don't actually follow that. Obviously with Accrington winning makes us champions for luckily beating them on Saturday in the drabist game of the season. I suppose that makes our display against them on Saturday good now. Our draw with Oxford now becomes highly creditable because they won 4-0 last night. So that means that the teams in the 17 games before last night are also great because Oxford didn't beat them either. Drivel, I assume, is stuff that you don't agree with then?
I didn`t think for one minute you would follow that. I cannot go on and explain it to you because you would not possibly want to understand
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:12 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:18 pm
I didn`t think for one minute you would follow that. I cannot go on and explain it to you because you would not possibly want to understand
Rather arrogant reply, if I may say, suggesting that I would need you to explain your point to me. Bolton played badly and missed a host of chances while Accrington Stanley scored from their only two shots on target. We, on the other hand, scored the winner from our only two shots on target while Accrington missed a whole host of chances against us. Whichever way you look at it Accrington Stanley's result against Bolton does nothing to diminish the way our team performed against them. Using your logic Grimsby should be, at least, in the Championship instead of languishing in League Two.

My frustration with our team is that we have good players for this level. In isolation, for instance, I don't think any player from Stanley's team would get into our side. Our team has better players and far greater support than Accrington Stanley which means they had something more than us on the day. They needed points to keep them up, of course, while this result done nothing for our season except for professional pride. Our team could play without the tension of a promotion or relegation issue, a freedom to express themselves. Did they do that? Accrington beat Bolton does that exonerate our teams performance against them? You know my answer.

On another note I find it very disappointing when some of our crowd find it amusing when the away support is announced. That is total arrogance and disrespectful to real supporters who travelled a long way to support their team. An 'unfashionable team' at that. They could just go round the corner and watch a decent Burnley team instead of their team. I take my hat off to them, if I was wearing oe that is.