Ipswich & Plymouth Spends 21/22

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Ipswich & Plymouth Spends 21/22

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Was having a little mooch about a few corners of the internet today and discovered the following on a forum..
Looking at Companies House filings, Plymouth Argyle's operating expenses (Cost of sales plus administration) in 2021/22 were £12,024,695. Wages and salaries (all staff, inc NI and pensions) were £6,017,404.

Ipswich Town's operating expenses in 2021/22 were £28,938,000. Wages and salaries were £16,432,000.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Ipswich & Plymouth Spends 21/22

Post by Sam_Brown »

What were our figures for the same period?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Just had a quick look and it looks like our wages and salaries were £7.8m (so greater than Plymouth's but less than half of Ipswich's!)

https://www.pompeytrust.com/news/review ... ts-2021-22

Can't find an overall figure for operating expenses but that might be me not knowing where to look!
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

Several Premier players earn more than £16 million!
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Pompey55 »

PeteM wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:02 pm Just had a quick look and it looks like our wages and salaries were £7.8m (so greater than Plymouth's but less than half of Ipswich's!)

https://www.pompeytrust.com/news/review ... ts-2021-22

Can't find an overall figure for operating expenses but that might be me not knowing where to look!
That figure seems right as when they released the accounts for last year turnover was 14 million at FFP 55% equals 7.5 million allowed in wages so we used the maximum allowed
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

The figures above include non playing staff too.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:08 am The figures above include non playing staff too.
Do we know the breakdown? I can’t imagine Jose is on much
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Sam_Brown wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:12 am
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:08 am The figures above include non playing staff too.
Nope, but he wasn't hear during that accounting period anyway.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Plymouth finished 7th, we were 10th Ipswich 11th.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:23 am Plymouth finished 7th, we were 10th Ipswich 11th.
NO NO NO NO NO that cannot be right.
how did we finish above ipswich, after all they spent big on the playing staff so they must have been way better than us, there is no chance on this earth that a team that doesnt spend the most on players finishes above one that does :thumb
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:21 am
Sam_Brown wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:12 am
Nope, but he wasn't hear during that accounting period anyway.
Ah of course yup you're absolutely correct.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:26 am
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:23 am Plymouth finished 7th, we were 10th Ipswich 11th.
how did we finish above ipswich, after all they spent big on the playing staff so they must have been way better than us, there is no chance on this earth that a team that doesnt spend the most on players finishes above one that does :thumb
That’s why I don’t like the argument that we should just throw money at problems in general. Yes money will definitely help but if you do throw money at it and it doesn’t work the argument is always “we need to spend more”.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Sam_Brown wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:14 pm
That’s why I don’t like the argument that we should just throw money at problems in general. Yes money will definitely help but if you do throw money at it and it doesn’t work the argument is always “we need to spend more”.

Of course spending lots of money on a team does not guarantee success. It obviously helps and makes the task easier. But, for those using a touch of sarcasm obviously aimed at those who would like to see the club make more money available for team building, I would ask is team building easier done in the bargain basement or with money to spend? Generally the teams at the top of leagues are the ones that have spent most money. Plymouth are one of the exceptions and shows that prudent spending and creative recruitment can succeed. However, if Plymouth go up this season I wonder how they will fare and if they will be able to sustain their position. Other clubs have done it using the cheap option such as Burton and Scunthorpe and look what's happened to the Iron. Blackpool is another example of promotion on a budget but they are perennial strugglers in the Championship. Of course spending more than a club can afford has more catastrophic dangers than mere relegation. Ipswich on the other hand look like they have successfully purchased promotion and I fully expect to see them competing for a place in the Premiership in the near future. As for Sheffield Wednesday I wonder if they have shot their bolt and failure this season could well mean a visit from the debt collectors.

All I really would like is the club to be a little more honest over our future. Saying they want promotion needs to be backed up with deeds. Not cloaking the vision with 'competitive' budgets or talk. They are doing a brilliant job elsewhere with our club but the next step requires more in my veiw. I don't think expecting rabbits to be pulled out of a hat to be successful type of vision. If they want promotion soon does that mean they think the infrastructure rebuild is done, or up to what they want, and now they are going for it? Or does it mean another hopeful punt?
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:24 pm

Of course spending lots of money on a team does not guarantee success. It obviously helps and makes the task easier. But, for those using a touch of sarcasm obviously aimed at those who would like to see the club make more money available for team building, I would ask is team building easier done in the bargain basement or with money to spend? Generally the teams at the top of leagues are the ones that have spent most money. Plymouth are one of the exceptions and shows that prudent spending and creative recruitment can succeed. However, if Plymouth go up this season I wonder how they will fare and if they will be able to sustain their position. Other clubs have done it using the cheap option such as Burton and Scunthorpe and look what's happened to the Iron. Blackpool is another example of promotion on a budget but they are perennial strugglers in the Championship. Of course spending more than a club can afford has more catastrophic dangers than mere relegation. Ipswich on the other hand look like they have successfully purchased promotion and I fully expect to see them competing for a place in the Premiership in the near future. As for Sheffield Wednesday I wonder if they have shot their bolt and failure this season could well mean a visit from the debt collectors.

All I really would like is the club to be a little more honest over our future. Saying they want promotion needs to be backed up with deeds. Not cloaking the vision with 'competitive' budgets or talk. They are doing a brilliant job elsewhere with our club but the next step requires more in my veiw. I don't think expecting rabbits to be pulled out of a hat to be successful type of vision. If they want promotion soon does that mean they think the infrastructure rebuild is done, or up to what they want, and now they are going for it? Or does it mean another hopeful punt?
i was being sarcastic because thats all people ever say on here, the owners arent spending enough money and its BS none of us know how much our budget is was will be, and it never will be made public...i hope.
The arguments as to why have been done to death, they have made money available when it has been asked for, Morrel a prime example. If those players, or the way the manager has used them, have not resulted in promotion that is not laid at the owners door for not spending money.
as for the transparancy, it aint ever going to happen, no team in their right mind is going to tell the world how much they have to spend on players are they?? oh hello everyone we need some new players and we have £1m to buy them, we would like to buy your player x for £300k. Erm no sorry he is going to cost £750k now i know how much cash you have to splash

Ipswich on the other hand look like they have successfully purchased promotion and I fully expect to see them competing for a place in the Premiership in the near future. As for Sheffield Wednesday I wonder if they have shot their bolt and failure this season could well mean a visit from the debt collectors. and there is the argument for not throwing money at it. We tried that in the prem and look where we ended up
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:24 pm

They've done a half decent job of tarting up the ground while not increasing the capacity. The North Stand replacement won't happen until we're in the Premier League which isn't likely in the next century, so all in all they've pretty much done the bare minimum to protect their asset.