Ipswich & Plymouth Spends 21/22

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: Ipswich & Plymouth Spends 21/22

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:38 pm I think Portchy's comment was aimed at me BW. I'm pretty sure he doesn't expect a promotion budget from a billionaire owner, however...I do after 6 years in this league and other than the tarted up stadium, the other plans haven't even started.
Stoke City are owned by one of the richest people in the country, worth many billions, making hundreds of millions in dividends each year. Probably should be in the premiership at least?
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

At least they're in the Championship. Do you honestly think the gates will increase?
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:27 pm At least they're in the Championship. Do you honestly think the gates will increase?
Yes, because every year everyone knows people who aren't renewing, or mates who aren't renewing and every season we sell the similar or more season tickets.

Win a few games and we are world beaters again.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:36 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:48 pm

Again another silly response. Of course I have acknowledged that the owners have spent money, but I don't suppose you have read that. They have spent money on the ground and on the whole operation and kept the club debt free, as I have acknowledged which you must have missed. Yes he is a billionaire and could easily spend more but he is running the club as a sustainable business rather than a play thing.

However, may I remind you that seven years ago Mr Eisner told us that if we wanted to stay in League One and just keep the ground operational with a youth academy at the lower level "then we didn't need" him. We are still in League One and the academy is still at category 3. He said if we wanted to be challenging at the top of the league and the challenging for a return to the Premiership "he was that guy". Well there is no dispute that they are doing critical work on the ground and the club is underpinned financially. But we are no nearer challenging the top of the league than we were 7 years ago and all the time we have to sell our best players to fund our incoming transfers we will, most likely, be in League One for a while longer.
Does the fact that we make a loss each year that they underwrite not demonstrate, that what he said was actually wrong, and that actually, to stand still we did need someone?

Also I don't recall a deadline being put on it, as a bit of a philanthropist I'm not even sure Micheal expects to see us rise to such levels himself but under the stewardship of his family.
Actually, asking if we wanted to stay at the level we are or progress with him is putting a deadline on it. I have acknowledged that we have good owners and for the most part they are doing a good job. I am fully aware that the club will make a loss with all the work going on and that they pick up the tab, however, they have said that the playing side of the club is separate from the financial side of the whole club. You don't have to keep reminding me that the owners are doing a good job overall and that they are ploughing money into the club. What I do contend is that they talk of promotion, even disappointed at not achieving it, but we need more money diverted into the playing side to help us get a better chance of getting it. All the time we fund the squad by selling our best players will make this task harder.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

So much for some users not wanting to go over the same arguments ad infinitum.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:40 pm So much for some users not wanting to go over the same arguments ad infinitum.
Yes, you are right. The subject has been done to death. We will just have to wait and see what's happens and debating on here won't change things. I am not guilty for bringing the subject up this time but I am guilty in responding to it.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:05 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:40 pm So much for some users not wanting to go over the same arguments ad infinitum.
Yes, you are right. The subject has been done to death. We will just have to wait and see what's happens and debating on here won't change things. I am not guilty for bringing the subject up this time but I am guilty in responding to it.
I get exactly the same thing at home with talking politics lol. We're a close knit community and we all care about the club. I think we know each other too well and what pushes each others buttons. I've definitely been guilty of both starting and contributing to many a vocal discussion over the years.

Then I found weed. :smt033 :rofl
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

OK Walter I will not utter another word in debate
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:11 am
No that is not the attitude to take. We all have different opinions, which makes debate on any subject interesting. I find your veiws interesting and sometimes agree with what you say. What I will say is the etiquette in the way debate takes place goes off track sometimes. I am fully aware people will disagree with me and I am fully cognisant that my veiws could well be wide of the mark and I don't have a god given right to be right. However good etiquette should keep the debate friendly by recognising that other people have different opinions. By exaggerating or ridiculing someone else's opinion that differs from yours is not good debating etiquette.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:30 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:27 pm At least they're in the Championship. Do you honestly think the gates will increase?
Yes, because every year everyone knows people who aren't renewing, or mates who aren't renewing and every season we sell the similar or more season tickets.

Did you see the empty seats against Accy in the FE? And other games this season? If we're not challenging the gates will drop off.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

So we'll just ignore the fact that we're ****** crap then...
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Betelgeuse wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:51 am
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:30 pm

Did you see the empty seats against Accy in the FE? And other games this season? If we're not challenging the gates will drop off.
I was actually surprised at Saturdays published attendance figure. There seemed so many empty seats all round the ground, even less at half time because some people near me didn't return for the second half. I normally go with two other people but I have been on my own several times this season. One of the people I go with is ill and unable to attend and between us we have a season ticket for our Grandchildren. With him not going there are two tickets available for our Grandchildren but they have lost interest in going. This is what I alluded to earlier about keeping the next generation interested because without entertainment and success it breeds apathy. I think the attendance figure counts season as present at games whether they are there or not.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Blue Walter wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:37 am
No that is not the attitude to take. We all have different opinions, which makes debate on any subject interesting. I find your views interesting and sometimes agree with what you say. What I will say is the etiquette in the way debate takes place goes off track sometimes. I am fully aware people will disagree with me and I am fully cognisant that my views could well be wide of the mark and I don't have a god given right to be right. However good etiquette should keep the debate friendly by recognising that other people have different opinions. By exaggerating or ridiculing someone else's opinion that differs from yours is not good debating etiquette.
yes we do, and i enjoy debating with you walter. As i said my intention is never to ridicule you and have apologised if i have.
I dont feel I am right all the time, but I am very aware that the argument keeps being made that the owners dont spend, we dont have a competitive budget etc etc. The owners arent perfect, and I am sure they would have liked things to have gone different up to now, but i do believe they are delivering what they said they would, yes its taking a while but rome wasnt built in a day.
there does seem to be some very short memories about what "size" this club is, we have spent most of my lifetime is the lower leagues, a brief foray in the prem which nearly cost the club its existance and suddenly we should not be anywhere near league 1. I am passionate about the club, and maybe that makes my arguments too fervent, aggresive and seem to be ridiculing, but its not my intention. I just get frustrated with people, who after what has happened in the last 10 years, who seem to think throwing money around and we will be back up the leagues. and that is not aimed at you walter, I know thats not your belief
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Betelgeuse wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:53 am
So we'll just ignore the fact that we're ****** crap then...
This you mate?

viewtopic.php?p=932364#p932364
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:21 am
Blue Walter wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:37 am
No that is not the attitude to take. We all have different opinions, which makes debate on any subject interesting. I find your views interesting and sometimes agree with what you say. What I will say is the etiquette in the way debate takes place goes off track sometimes. I am fully aware people will disagree with me and I am fully cognisant that my views could well be wide of the mark and I don't have a god given right to be right. However good etiquette should keep the debate friendly by recognising that other people have different opinions. By exaggerating or ridiculing someone else's opinion that differs from yours is not good debating etiquette.
yes we do, and i enjoy debating with you walter. As i said my intention is never to ridicule you and have apologised if i have.
I dont feel I am right all the time, but I am very aware that the argument keeps being made that the owners dont spend, we dont have a competitive budget etc etc. The owners arent perfect, and I am sure they would have liked things to have gone different up to now, but i do believe they are delivering what they said they would, yes its taking a while but rome wasnt built in a day.
there does seem to be some very short memories about what "size" this club is, we have spent most of my lifetime is the lower leagues, a brief foray in the prem which nearly cost the club its existance and suddenly we should not be anywhere near league 1. I am passionate about the club, and maybe that makes my arguments too fervent, aggresive and seem to be ridiculing, but its not my intention. I just get frustrated with people, who after what has happened in the last 10 years, who seem to think throwing money around and we will be back up the leagues. and that is not aimed at you walter, I know thats not your belief
OK, I get that you are passionate about our club and, believe it or not, so am I. I am sure you don't go of your way to insult or ridicule anyone and you have the grace to apologise, which is very much to your credit. We all have our bad points, with mine being long posts that tend to be complaining, but I can only give my veiw as I see it. Your nemesis, if I may respectfully say, is one of exaggerating an opposing veiw. For example you have done it here you have 'people' , or me in other words, has said that the owners don't spend money. I have said that quite clearly they do and, again quite clearly, I have said that we have good owners. You say that 'people' want the owners to throw money at the team which would bankrupt the club. Again I have never said that or do I want them to do that as we know only too well where that could lead. I am talking about more funds than we have been getting which doesn't involve selling our best players to fund recruitment. Not silly extravagant amounts but an amount that gives us a genuine chance. For example if we had kept Harness and still brought in Bishop I think the season would have had more success. We haven't had the 'devil on the wing' all season, although no one can dispute Dale's workmate. Harness was our ace in the pack and before him it was Lowe. I am not saying we would have been promoted with Harness still here because we still had Cowley as manger for most of this season. So all I am saying is that you have exaggerated my veiws and of course that puts us at loggerheads. Stripped right back and I would think our veiws don't really differ much.

So all I am saying disagree with me by all means, you may be right and my opinion might be cack, but please do keep it in proportion. I do find differing veiws interesting but in a civilised way. We all want the same thing and I would much prefer to post glowing remarks about our club.