Ipswich & Plymouth Spends 21/22

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Ipswich & Plymouth Spends 21/22

Post by pompeygunner »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:21 am
Blue Walter wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:37 am
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:11 am
Blue Walter wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:05 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:40 pm So much for some users not wanting to go over the same arguments ad infinitum.
Yes, you are right. The subject has been done to death. We will just have to wait and see what's happens and debating on here won't change things. I am not guilty for bringing the subject up this time but I am guilty in responding to it.
OK Walter I will not utter another word in debate
No that is not the attitude to take. We all have different opinions, which makes debate on any subject interesting. I find your views interesting and sometimes agree with what you say. What I will say is the etiquette in the way debate takes place goes off track sometimes. I am fully aware people will disagree with me and I am fully cognisant that my views could well be wide of the mark and I don't have a god given right to be right. However good etiquette should keep the debate friendly by recognising that other people have different opinions. By exaggerating or ridiculing someone else's opinion that differs from yours is not good debating etiquette.
yes we do, and i enjoy debating with you walter. As i said my intention is never to ridicule you and have apologised if i have.
I dont feel I am right all the time, but I am very aware that the argument keeps being made that the owners dont spend, we dont have a competitive budget etc etc. The owners arent perfect, and I am sure they would have liked things to have gone different up to now, but i do believe they are delivering what they said they would, yes its taking a while but rome wasnt built in a day.
there does seem to be some very short memories about what "size" this club is, we have spent most of my lifetime is the lower leagues, a brief foray in the prem which nearly cost the club its existance and suddenly we should not be anywhere near league 1. I am passionate about the club, and maybe that makes my arguments too fervent, aggresive and seem to be ridiculing, but its not my intention. I just get frustrated with people, who after what has happened in the last 10 years, who seem to think throwing money around and we will be back up the leagues. and that is not aimed at you walter, I know thats not your belief
Not sure how old you are obviously but I've been supporting Pompey for 54yrs & in all that time we've spent 17 yrs in the lower leagues. I dont think thats very long myself & most of my time supporting has been Championship(Div2 in old money)
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

pompeygunner wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:35 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:40 pm So much for some users not wanting to go over the same arguments ad infinitum.
Yes, you are right. The subject has been done to death. We will just have to wait and see what's happens and debating on here won't change things. I am not guilty for bringing the subject up this time but I am guilty in responding to it.
No that is not the attitude to take. We all have different opinions, which makes debate on any subject interesting. I find your views interesting and sometimes agree with what you say. What I will say is the etiquette in the way debate takes place goes off track sometimes. I am fully aware people will disagree with me and I am fully cognisant that my views could well be wide of the mark and I don't have a god given right to be right. However good etiquette should keep the debate friendly by recognising that other people have different opinions. By exaggerating or ridiculing someone else's opinion that differs from yours is not good debating etiquette.
yes we do, and i enjoy debating with you walter. As i said my intention is never to ridicule you and have apologised if i have.
I dont feel I am right all the time, but I am very aware that the argument keeps being made that the owners dont spend, we dont have a competitive budget etc etc. The owners arent perfect, and I am sure they would have liked things to have gone different up to now, but i do believe they are delivering what they said they would, yes its taking a while but rome wasnt built in a day.
there does seem to be some very short memories about what "size" this club is, we have spent most of my lifetime is the lower leagues, a brief foray in the prem which nearly cost the club its existance and suddenly we should not be anywhere near league 1. I am passionate about the club, and maybe that makes my arguments too fervent, aggresive and seem to be ridiculing, but its not my intention. I just get frustrated with people, who after what has happened in the last 10 years, who seem to think throwing money around and we will be back up the leagues. and that is not aimed at you walter, I know thats not your belief
Not sure how old you are obviously but I've been supporting Pompey for 54yrs & in all that time we've spent 17 yrs in the lower leagues. I dont think thats very long myself & most of my time supporting has been Championship(Div2 in old money)
I am 54 gunner
yeah i accept that but of those div 2 years how many were anywhere near promotion ?
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:39 pm
I am 54 gunner
yeah i accept that but of those div 2 years how many were anywhere near promotion ?
Not many but its not the lower leagues is it .
The lower leagues have always been L1&L2 or Div 3 &Div4 in old money.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Well I am quite old and have been supporting Pompey for 62 years regularly but I also watched them in the 1950's. I don't come from this area and my team should really be Gillingham. My father was in the Royal Marines which meant we moved around a lot, home and abroad. When we had family come to visit us they always had to make the pilgrimage to Fratton Park and see what was left of the Championship (First Division) winning team. I had to go with them because I was the only one that liked football but I sulked for most of the time about having to go. I was besotted with football but watching it was wasting time that could be spent playing it. I started going regularly when I was at senior school and we were in the 3rd Division (League One). My first game of the regular stint was against Peterborough which we lost 3-0. This game was subject of the court case on bribery and betting in the game. Dick Beaty was our keeper and had been bribed to throw the game and was convicted for it along with other games he had thrown. Nevertheless we went up that year as champions of Division Three.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

pompeygunner wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:46 pm
I am 54 gunner
Do you remember the 17 years we spent in the Second Division where we finished 15th, 16th or 17th every season? That was when apathy really set in and crowds went down to 5000, and below on one or two occasions.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Blue Walter wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:20 pm
pompeygunner wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:46 pm
I am 54 gunner
Do you remember the 17 years we spent in the Second Division where we finished 15th, 16th or 17th every season? That was when apathy really set in and crowds went down to 5000, and below on one or two occasions.
I certainly remember those years but as gunner has said it’s still not lower league
At one time ourselves and Millwall were the longest serving clubs in the real league one but we still followed the team
Maybe I’m just getting old but until recently I never looked at attendance just the results in the Sports Mail after a few pints in the supporters club bar which was situated at Fratton Park bar opened at the end of the game as I recall actually took Mrs 55 there early in our relationship because it was inexpensive drinks
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

While we are down memory Lane, I will never forget the excitement I felt at the explosion I heard when seeing my first goal at FP in 1949 as a 6 year old. I think that was the moment I became a sports addict. Two years later I was allowed to go on my own by train from Bedhampton and loved every minute until later in the 50s since when it’s been a roller coaster of emotions. Nothing to do with Ipswich and Plymouth spending but since when do we stick to the point here😀😀?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

As I hand said I don't hail from this area originally but I remember when I became a committed Pompey supporter. It was when I went with my school mates to the Peterborough game, that ended up as one of the games involved in the bribery case. It was the whole experience of going to a game at Fratton Park. From going across the Gosport ferry and catching the football special buses lined up at the Hard to travelling through Portsmouth and catching the first glimpse of the floodlights which sent a thrill of antispation and excitement rushing through you. The slow journey through Goldsmith Avenue which was packed with people all heading to Fratton Park. Off the bus and walking down Frogmore Road added to the excitement. Taking up a spot at the Fratton End probably an hour before kick off and then going through all the chants that were in vogue. Then, standing there watching Pompey losing, an equaliser which sent the crowd into raptures. Or watching them lose would mean a weekend sulking. Victory would mean a weekend of walking on air. One thing I have to mention is the Pompey Chimes do not sound as good as it did back then. It used to start somewhere in the ground and then grow to a crescendo and last much longer. Nowadays it is just a pale version of it which is sung a bit faster and lasts for about two lines.