Play offs

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Play offs

Post by New Forester »

Peterborough (77 points) 4 Sheffield Wednesday (96 points) 0

Brings back memories?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Play offs

Post by Betelgeuse »

What a disaster for Wednesday. Yep...Leicester '93.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

New Forester wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:56 am Peterborough (77 points) 4 Sheffield Wednesday (96 points) 0

Brings back memories?

Yes I remember that, painfully. The fact that Pompey finished so far ahead of Leicester in the league but failed to be promoted fueled the argument against the play offs system. I still think that the play offs do keep the league interest going for more clubs for a longer period. With only automatic promotion available the season is dead quite early for some clubs.

I seem to remember that there was also play offs for relegation at one time as well. Does anyone remember that? Also what do people think about brining it back again?
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:31 am What a disaster for Wednesday. Yep...Leicester '93.
Yes that could be very disastrous for Wednesday. They invested heavily in to buying promotion and if they fail the ramifications could be serious. Possibly a good example of why clubs should not spend more than it can afford in chasing success.
NSRailings
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by NSRailings »

Blue Walter wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:03 am I seem to remember that there was also play offs for relegation at one time as well. Does anyone remember that? Also what do people think about brining it back again?
Wasn't the reason for that to rejig the amount of clubs in the 4 leagues? Definitely don't bring it back. We'll be having play-offs to get into the play-offs next.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:08 am
Betelgeuse wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:31 am What a disaster for Wednesday. Yep...Leicester '93.
Yes that could be very disastrous for Wednesday. They invested heavily in to buying promotion and if they fail the ramifications could be serious. Possibly a good example of why clubs should not spend more than it can afford in chasing success.
They didn't spend masses on transfer fees - but they pay huge wages, an alleged £20k a week for Micheal Smith which championship Rotherham couldn't compete with.

2020/21 season they we're losing £500k a week, they don't own their ground (their owner sold it to himself for millions), bits of it have been closed down, and they have advertising boards for companies that don't exist.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:21 am
Blue Walter wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:08 am
They didn't spend masses on transfer fees - but they pay huge wages, an alleged £20k a week for Micheal Smith which championship Rotherham couldn't compete with.

2020/21 season they we're losing £500k a week, they don't own their ground (their owner sold it to himself for millions), bits of it have been closed down, and they have advertising boards for companies that don't exist.
I don't know if they even paid a transfer fee but I do know that their wage structure meant they could out bid nearly every club at this level and, possibly, many above.