Brighton Owners v Ours

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

blueocean
Martin Kuhl
Been liked: 1 time

Brighton Owners v Ours

Post by blueocean »

Great win for Brighton today. its not so long ago that they were kicked out of the Goldstone and had to play their games at Gillingham. Then the Withdean with about a 7k capacity. Now they have a lovely new 30k ground and are sitting high up the Prem alongside Bournemouth.

Just wtf has happened? How have they done it? Our so called billionaire owners just play with us. FP has had a few quid spent on it but is basically the same as it was when i first started to go down the park.

If the eisners dont want us to progress then why the fcuk don't they sell us on. We are a fking embarrassment. If Brighton and bournemouth can do it then surely we could with the right owner.
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Brighton Owners v Ours

Post by Claygate »

Tony Bloom, the owner of Brighton is an avid fan. To date he is ploughed more than £300m into the club, since he took control 15 years.

That’s the sort of investment Michael Eisner is going to have to make if he wants to replicate Brightons achievements and be successful in the Prem.

The ground alone has cost nearly £100m and the training ground £20m, which is one of the best in Europe apparently.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Didn't it take years for them to get approval to build a new stadium?
Melbourne Graham
Collins Mbesuma
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Melbourne Graham »

The difference being Tony Bloom is a life long fan of Brighton - the Eisners / Tornante ? are a business looking to gradually grow and then start to make money. Totally different mental approach. Not sure I’d risk putting 300million of my own money into a footy club if I had it. I did give a thousand not expecting it back so gave 50% money back to the club.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Zzzzzzz
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by PeteM »

They are two completely separate questions anyway, it's perfectly possible to think Tony Bloom has done great things for Brighton without as a consequence thinking the Eisners have been terrible owners at Pompey.
Sawbo Blue
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Sawbo Blue »

Not a fair comparison really. Bloom is a bit of a unicorn being a local life long fan with oodles of cash he's willing to inject into his club. How many of those do we have in Portsmouth? Until one comes forward we'll have to make do with prudent step by step investment, poor us.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I think the success Brighton are having now shows the value of not just throwing money at the playing side of it.

Had they just thrown money at players and wages (like we did) the football side of the business outgrows the rest of the business and it's just unsustainable.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

This transfer window is the most important of them in terms of Eisner's ownership. I like the style of recruiting young talent with plenty of potential but it needs to be matched with experienced players. The likes of Wing from Wycombe are the type of player that fit this category, it will be in interesting to see if we can get these players over the line. We lost out on the winger from Barnet (can't remember his name) who went to Peterborough and won their players player of the season. Almost certainly they offered a better deal than we did. I want to see real intent from the owners this window, the supporters won't accept mediocre any longer. When you think of all the wasted wages on loan players we cannot afford to make those mistakes again.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:21 am This transfer window is the most important of them in terms of Eisner's ownership. I like the style of recruiting young talent with plenty of potential but it needs to be matched with experienced players. The likes of Wing from Wycombe are the type of player that fit this category, it will be in interesting to see if we can get these players over the line. We lost out on the winger from Barnet (can't remember his name) who went to Peterborough and won their players player of the season. Almost certainly they offered a better deal than we did. I want to see real intent from the owners this window, the supporters won't accept mediocre any longer. When you think of all the wasted wages on loan players we cannot afford to make those mistakes again.
If you watch the interview with JM he talks about the sort of player we want and that age isn't a deciding factor. Well worth a watch.
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 37 times

Post by PeteM »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:21 am This transfer window is the most important of them in terms of Eisner's ownership. I like the style of recruiting young talent with plenty of potential but it needs to be matched with experienced players. The likes of Wing from Wycombe are the type of player that fit this category, it will be in interesting to see if we can get these players over the line. We lost out on the winger from Barnet (can't remember his name) who went to Peterborough and won their players player of the season. Almost certainly they offered a better deal than we did. I want to see real intent from the owners this window, the supporters won't accept mediocre any longer. When you think of all the wasted wages on loan players we cannot afford to make those mistakes again.
Ephron Mason-Clarke was the winger - he looked very good against Sheffield Wednesday the other night.

Fully agree that we need to have a blend between experienced players who can help us get promoted and young talent who can improve alongside them. One of the underrated things that Brighton have done is to sign cheap senior pros with good characters to help the young players develop (which allows them to repeat the cycle with the transfer market profits they make, just at the next level up because they can attract better players) - Lallana is a good example of that and it is no surprise that they're going to announce James Milner shortly for next season.

Encouraged from what we've heard so far from Mousinho on the subject of recruitment, seems clear that the club are looking to do both this summer but I guess we'll all judge on who comes through the door by September.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

and Mr Bloom has done all this overnight, well if you class 14 years as overnight anyway :thumb
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Claygate wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:53 am Tony Bloom, the owner of Brighton is an avid fan. To date he is ploughed more than £300m into the club, since he took control 15 years.

That’s the sort of investment Michael Eisner is going to have to make if he wants to replicate Brightons achievements and be successful in the Prem.

The ground alone has cost nearly £100m and the training ground £20m, which is one of the best in Europe apparently.
I can vouch that the training facility is very impressive as I was a regular visitor there not so long ago. I was able to look round and speak to the training staff there, even though I took stick off them for being a Pompey supporter. Actually one of the trainers was a Pompey supporter and had a family season ticket at Fratton Park.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Some interesting comments here that cover the spectrum of opinions concerning our ownership. There is no doubt Brighton have done really well and deserve their place at the the top table after their turbulent recent past. There is a distinct difference between a committed fan owning a football club and that of a more detached business venture. There is possibly a different sort danger with an owner that has an emotional tie to a club that doesn't exist with other owners. That being will the club be as well backed when the owner is no longer around, as we have seen with Southampton? The same thing happened at Blackburn although I think his fortune was diminished by the club before he died. I still think that the ideal owner is a super rich supporter of the club rather than someone coming in as a business venture.

I suppose my veiw of our clubs owner is somewhere in between the polarised veiws posted on here. I do think that the club is being well run and with the future in mind. I have said that I would like the owners to make more money available for the playing side, but not at the expense that it puts the club at risk. I have held the opinion that the owners have been happy to mark time while the infrastructure is being rebuilt. I have always thought they do
want to go up eventually when they consider the club ready. The transfer kitty has only been 'competitive' by the fact it has been funded by players transfered from the club. I do sense that the owners seem a bit keener to progress next season but that will be seen by the way the the club does its transfer business. If either Bishop or Morrell, or both are sold for anything less than a ridiculous fee(s) then we will know the answer.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

I read yesterday that Bristol City are very interested in Morrell.

Don't know too much about them or their financial situation...is that Mr Tan and his 'red birds' still??