Luton

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Rjk66
Alan Biley
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 15 times

Luton

Post by Rjk66 »

Fantastic result, support and Sunderland played their part in the game as well. To think that nine seasons ago Luton were a non league club with little money coming in. While we have spent nearly all those seasons in league one, just shows what can be done around us. How many more seasons before we attempt to get back to the premiership? I dare not wonder. Luton aren’t there yet but based on last nights showing, stand a very good chance.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Re: Luton

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Rjk66 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:15 pm Fantastic result, support and Sunderland played their part in the game as well. To think that nine seasons ago Luton were a non league club with little money coming in. While we have spent nearly all those seasons in league one, just shows what can be done around us. How many more seasons before we attempt to get back to the premiership? I dare not wonder. Luton aren’t there yet but based on last nights showing, stand a very good chance.
Did I hear last night that promotion will mean they need to spend £10millon on Kenilworth Road?
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by PeteM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... s-65249178

Yeah, looks to be about right. They're also looking to build a new stadium, so I'd imagine they probably weren't expecting to have to do this in the meantime (although £100m+ of Premier League money would soften the blow somewhat!
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:22 pm
Rjk66 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:15 pm Fantastic result, support and Sunderland played their part in the game as well. To think that nine seasons ago Luton were a non league club with little money coming in. While we have spent nearly all those seasons in league one, just shows what can be done around us. How many more seasons before we attempt to get back to the premiership? I dare not wonder. Luton aren’t there yet but based on last nights showing, stand a very good chance.
Did I hear last night that promotion will mean they need to spend £10millon on Kenilworth Road?
I heard something similar a few weeks ago. Frankly, I hope they go up. Kenilworth Road is going to be a real culture shock for a few teams and supporters - and media. I've shot pitchside there a few times now, and its the only ground where I've had to physically move my gear out the way every time they take a corner. Its so narrow - definitely the most claustrophobic ground I know.

Pompey in the Premier League got fined on a weekly basis I recall too. An uncovered Milton End, and media facilities not up to a particular standard.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

I played at Kennilworth road, many years ago when they had the plastic pitch. Charity match for the company I was working for against Mars.
Their guy was boasting he has a secret weapon but wouldnt say until the day.
I was playing centre back, and their secret weapon was their centre forward...one Paul Mariner

Lovely chap, I stopped him scoring until the 80th minute, from a very dubious penalty. He bought me a drink in the bar afterwards.

The ground was very tight and worse for wear back then
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

£100m for a 23,000 seater stadium. Wowsers!
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:59 pm £100m for a 23,000 seater stadium. Wowsers!
But its right in Luton town centre. That alone puts the cost through the roof. Probably a sellout every week when its built.

Theoretically they could be better off sharing with MK Dons next year. It would go down like a lead balloon with the Luton faithful, but there's a state-of-the-art, 30,000 seater in League Two next year going largely unused. 20 miles away is probably a sticking point, but I bet its cheaper than £10m of temporary upgrades.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Weybridge wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 4:11 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:59 pm £100m for a 23,000 seater stadium. Wowsers!
But its right in Luton town centre. That alone puts the cost through the roof. Probably a sellout every week when its built.

Theoretically they could be better off sharing with MK Dons next year. It would go down like a lead balloon with the Luton faithful, but there's a state-of-the-art, 30,000 seater in League Two next year going largely unused. 20 miles away is probably a sticking point, but I bet its cheaper than £10m of temporary upgrades.
Looks like they sold a load of other land by the M1 to go towards the funding too.
Sawbo Blue
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Sawbo Blue »

Club captain Sonny Bradley is leaving Luton as a free agent whatever happens. At 31 must still have several good years ahead for whoever takes him on. Apparently Derby are after him
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:22 pm Charity match for the company I was working for against Mars.
Always said you were living on another planet 😂
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
NSRailings
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by NSRailings »

A Cov vs Luton final would be good. I would've liked both of them to go up but one of them would be fine.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Sam_Brown wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:13 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:22 pm Charity match for the company I was working for against Mars.
Always said you were living on another planet 😂
you arent wrong Sam :wink: :thumb
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Mickemo »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:22 pm
This subtle post wasn’t lost on me 1984+1😀