How good are Man City ?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Re: How good are Man City ?

Post by blue architect »

Pompey55 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:18 pm I’ve been reading this thread and quite honestly I don’t give a toss how good they are as we are not likely to play them in the foreseeable future unless it’s in the cup guess it’s a case of nothing better to post about
A little bit harsh 55, if I may say so.
I love to see entertaining football no matter who is playing. Obviously, if we are involved then all the better. I am a football fan and watching the pinnacle of the sport play sublimely is a great pleasure.
This is a football-based forum so posting about such events is entirely acceptable.
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Pompey55 »

blue architect wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:54 am
Pompey55 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:18 pm I’ve been reading this thread and quite honestly I don’t give a toss how good they are as we are not likely to play them in the foreseeable future unless it’s in the cup guess it’s a case of nothing better to post about
I love to see entertaining football no matter who is playing. Obviously, if we are involved then all the better. I am a football fan and watching the pinnacle of the sport play sublimely is a great pleasure.
This is a football-based forum so posting about such events is entirely acceptable.
I’m not a football fan that’s why I support Pompey
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

There’s always a bit of recentism* is regards to these conversations. But City are very bl**dy good. In the prem I still think as a joy to watch Arsenal 03/04 were a better team to see play but in terms of individual matches City vs Madrid I can’t think of any performances that beat it as a one off.

*yeah I know that’s not a real word lol.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I understand that City are being investigated for over a hundred incidents concerning breaking the Fair Play rule. Having so many incidents against them you would have assume that a fair number will stick. So I wonder what the punishment will be, if there willbe any.

Having a bottomless pit of money and being able to buy any player they want invites this rule being contravened. But also, in my opinion, it takes the sport out of the game because it becomes an un level playing field. Other clubs become 'also rans' because they can't compete. I don't know what the answer is but I would rather see other clubs win the domestic honours who don't have City's spending power. A club like Leicester, for instance, who won the League title against the odds. I want City to win the Champions League Cup and bring it back to England though, even though there won't be many Englishmen in the team. I don't like the idea of rich foreign owners controlling our national game because I think it will ruin it in the long run.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Blue Walter wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:47 pm I understand that City are being investigated for over a hundred incidents concerning breaking the Fair Play rule. Having so many incidents against them you would have assume that a fair number will stick. So I wonder what the punishment will be, if there willbe any.

Having a bottomless pit of money and being able to buy any player they want invites this rule being contravened. But also, in my opinion, it takes the sport out of the game because it becomes an un level playing field. Other clubs become 'also rans' because they can't compete. I don't know what the answer is but I would rather see other clubs win the domestic honours who don't have City's spending power. A club like Leicester, for instance, who won the League title against the odds. I want City to win the Champions League Cup and bring it back to England though, even though there won't be many Englishmen in the team. I don't like the idea of rich foreign owners controlling our national game because I think it will ruin it in the long run.
A lot of the Premiership case against them are those that they were found guilty of by EUFA but they were overturned on a technicality in that they were more than 5 years old so under their rules could not count.
However Premier League rules do not have this time limit so it’s really a case that it’s been proven once so why not again it looks like they are bang to rights
I would imagine any punishment will go to the courts if the punishment is severe and not just financial it eventually cost them £42 million in fines at EUFA so pocket money to even some of their players
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

If the only punishment is a fine then that punishment only exists to punish poor people.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:38 pm If the only punishment is a fine then that punishment only exists to punish poor people.
Can anyone remember a Premier League team Losing points for financial issues I can’t
But how many clubs in the EFL have Reading Derby Wigan spring to mind immediately
Bournemouth broke FFP rules on the way to the Premier League and when they got there all they got was a slap on the wrist once proven, seems to me Premier League teams are treated differently to EFL teams it stinks
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 37 times

Post by PeteM »

Pompey55 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:18 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:38 pm If the only punishment is a fine then that punishment only exists to punish poor people.
Can anyone remember a Premier League team Losing points for financial issues I can’t
But how many clubs in the EFL have Reading Derby Wigan spring to mind immediately
Bournemouth broke FFP rules on the way to the Premier League and when they got there all they got was a slap on the wrist once proven, seems to me Premier League teams are treated differently to EFL teams it stinks
I think the only example of a Premier League club being deducted points was Pompey when we went into administration during the season we were relegated.
NSRailings
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by NSRailings »

Premier League = Promised Land

Who wants us to get there and at what cost?
Super Matt Macey in goal...
almondsbury
Alan Biley
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by almondsbury »

It's an odd one, isn't it? To me, Championship = promised land. Premier League = pointless battle for mid table position.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Mickemo »

Pompey55 - what a bundle of joy you must be down the pub!

It was a simple thread asking a question that seems be be being asked on all the football channels at the moment.

If you don’t like the thread don’t read it, don’t post and keep your caustic comments to yourself!!!
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Mickemo »

Pompey55 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:02 am
blue architect wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:54 am
I’m not a football fan that’s why I support Pompey
Been on the sauce again I see !
NSRailings
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by NSRailings »

almondsbury wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:10 pm It's an odd one, isn't it? To me, Championship = promised land. Premier League = pointless battle for mid table position.
It is. At least we won something when we were in it. Over the last 20 years it's usually one of the so called big 6.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

As I have said I would like City to win the Champions League Cup but I not that keen to see them win anything else. I accept they are good to watch but I think their plaudits are devalued by their extensive wealth.

It's a bit like someone turning up in your street in a Rolls Royce and everyone is admiring it. Then you learn that the owner has paid for it from an endless pit of shadey money. Every one else in your street has had to scrimp and save for their cars.

I don't really know what the answer is but I don't think that these mega rich people should be allowed to corrupt the sport out of the game. Newcastle are going to be the next club to buy anything that moves that can kick a ball if they want them. Maybe going head to head with City trying to buy the same players and completely taking the sanity out of the transfers of players. I think that, perhaps, there should be a ceiling on transfer fees and wages which, hopefully, would then enable more clubs able to compete for players.
blue-two
Collins Mbesuma
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by blue-two »

Amazing team. I loved how Aguero played but Haaland is like no one I have ever seen. Strong as an ox but immensely mobile, aerial prowess is phenomenal. I rarely watch motd, but if I do it is Man C I want to watch. I agree Barca and City top 2 in my lifetime. Real Madrid not so far behind. Pep is defo top 3, possibly the best. I am sure his salary reflects this.