Wigan points deduction

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 37 times

Wigan points deduction

Post by PeteM »

Starting on minus 4 next season after again failing to pay their players and staff wages for May.

Also have another suspended deduction hanging over them and their owner has been personally sanctioned too.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 114 times

Re: Wigan points deduction

Post by Blue Walter »

In situations like this it is difficult formulate ones personal response to news like this. On the one hand it i easy to have some empathy with Wigan supporters as fellow supporters as we have been in their position. In fact we have been in a worse position than them, as they themselves have been. It is the clubs owners who are to blame for their present demise not the ordinary supporter, which is the same for any club. However, on the other hand, I expect Wigan to be one of the front runners for promotion next season and therefore a competitor for the top spots. So being hampered by points deductions and financial problems helps our cause.

I certainly don't want to gloat at other people's misfortune but Wigan's problems helps us.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

I seem to remember going to wigan away during our problems and I don't recall them laughing at us. Talking to their fans after the match, they all sympathised with us.

So yes, -4pts helps us possibly (*if* we actually have a good season at long last), but I certainly don't get any enjoyment from their situation.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

The problem I have with Wigan is they came put of admin twice & splashed the cash twice. Meanwhile the creditors got just a fraction of what they were owed.
Football so needs to get its house in order, but it won't.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

another 4 points deduction so start season -8 points. Owner failed to deposit 125% of next months wages.

Looks like they have an owner like we had!! Pity them. :(
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

pompeygunner wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:17 pm The problem I have with Wigan is they came put of admin twice & splashed the cash twice. Meanwhile the creditors got just a fraction of what they were owed.

The thing is that yes Wigan the club did come out of administration twice and, as you say, splash the cash. The creditors were also left dangling twice but that was the people running the club and it was in no way the fault of their supporters. That's just like In our case where the owners are the guilty parties but it is the supporters and creditors that suffer.

I remember a Bolton supporter who used to give me stick about our situation. He didn't seem to be able to separate the guilty people at the club from the supporters. He seemed to think that everyone connected with the club were cheaters and shysters. He used to tell me that Pompey bought the FA Cup and we deserved everything we got. He was right about the Cup though. He had moved on and I never saw him when Bolton were in the cack unfortunately.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Mickemo »

Blue Walter wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:47 pm
pompeygunner wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:17 pm The problem I have with Wigan is they came put of admin twice & splashed the cash twice. Meanwhile the creditors got just a fraction of what they were owed.

The thing is that yes Wigan the club did come out of administration twice and, as you say, splash the cash. The creditors were also left dangling twice but that was the people running the club and it was in no way the fault of their supporters. That's just like In our case where the owners are the guilty parties but it is the supporters and creditors that suffer.

I remember a Bolton supporter who used to give me stick about our situation. He didn't seem to be able to separate the guilty people at the club from the supporters. He seemed to think that everyone connected with the club were cheaters and shysters. He used to tell me that Pompey bought the FA Cup and we deserved everything we got. He was right about the Cup though. He had moved on and I never saw him when Bolton were in the cack unfortunately.
The Bolton fan was talking utter ******!

Whenever anyone raises that argument with me I get really annoyed…my response “ do tell me how Pompey bought the cup as the last time I checked Pompey went to Old Trafford and beat Utd 0-1, the same United who had spent significantly more than Pompey in that (& prior) seasons/s. That’s also the same Utd that had Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez, Scholes, Ferdinand to name a few playing that day. The same Utd that lost just once at home in the Premier League, the same United that won the Title and Chamions League…yes we def bought the FA Cup that year” They tend to go a bit quiet 😀
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Everyone buys the cup...purely by buying and paying the players who win it. Dumb argument.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:13 pm Everyone buys the cup...purely by buying and paying the players who win it. Dumb argument.
Yes of course they do. Any professional clubs have 'bought' whatsoever they have achieved. It is the paying more than a club can afford is the genuine subject for criticism. In our case that was true and we couldn't sustain that sort of spending. However, it's not the supporters doing the spending it's the owners.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mickemo »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:13 pm Everyone buys the cup...purely by buying and paying the players who win it. Dumb argument.
Of course every club buys players, we wouldn’t have a sport otherwise!!!

Do you understand the term buying the league, buying the cup?
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mickemo »

Blue Walter wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:07 pm
Yes of course they do. Any professional clubs have 'bought' whatsoever they have achieved. It is the paying more than a club can afford is the genuine subject for criticism. In our case that was true and we couldn't sustain that sort of spending. However, it's not the supporters doing the spending it's the owners.
Disagree - it’s outspending all your opponents to achieve the objective and we didn’t do that.

The sustainability argument is valid however I’d counter argue that had it not been for the credit crunch, debts woud not have been called in by the banks,

The main point is we didn’t spend double or treble what our fellow Premier League clubs did to win that Cup and any suggestion that we did is wrong.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Mickemo wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:17 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:47 pm

The Bolton fan was talking utter ******!

Whenever anyone raises that argument with me I get really annoyed…my response “ do tell me how Pompey bought the cup as the last time I checked Pompey went to Old Trafford and beat Utd 0-1, the same United who had spent significantly more than Pompey in that (& prior) seasons/s. That’s also the same Utd that had Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez, Scholes, Ferdinand to name a few playing that day. The same Utd that lost just once at home in the Premier League, the same United that won the Title and Chamions League…yes we def bought the FA Cup that year” They tend to go a bit quiet 😀
Spot on. It's a pathetic argument usually spouted by losers, the jealous and scummers who tick both the first two boxes anyway. Surprised to see it aired on here by one of our own.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Mickemo wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:53 am
Of course every club buys players, we wouldn’t have a sport otherwise!!!

Do you understand the term buying the league, buying the cup?
Yeah I do, and we didn't do that in those terms.
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 37 times

Post by PeteM »

Two of their directors have resigned today, sounds like they have got some serious issues.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65805738
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

And now the subject of a HMRC winding-up order.