Is there still law in this country?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Is there still law in this country?

Post by eltorrro »

StMonkton wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:12 pm A couple of points related to this discussion.

Spain.
The bull seems to have taken a liking to Spanish policing especially the robust approach from the ‘Guardia Seville’. I wonder what happens in all the other Spanish cities?
When I lived in Spain 40 years ago there was a force called the Guardia Civil. Those guys really were to be feared. People I knew tended to see them as Franco’s enforcers.

The T shirt incident at the Cup Final was pretty disgusting in my view. I’m glad the wearer was grabbed by the authorities. I hope no one sees that behaviour as ‘just banter’.
Oops! I've just come back from a trip to Seville and it must have been in mind when I wrote the message!
Of course it should have been Guardia Civil and you are correct about them being Franco's enforcers, which in fact is why they were originally formed...as Franco's private police force to keep the population in check.
However, things are much different now although they are still a force to be reckoned with and you 'dis' them at your peril. Having said that they do keep a firm grip and probably are the root cause of low crime.
I recall an instance when I first came here, a local Brit was stopped by GC motor bikes and given an on the spot fine of 40euro for which he had the temerity to ask for a receipt!!
He ended up going to court for a number of motoring offences and received a 1000euro fine!

And yes, totally agree about the T shirt incident..in fact I'm a little surprised none of the football fans admonished him??
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

eltorrro wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:32 pm
StMonkton wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:12 pm A couple of points related to this discussion.

Spain.
The bull seems to have taken a liking to Spanish policing especially the robust approach from the ‘Guardia Seville’. I wonder what happens in all the other Spanish cities?
When I lived in Spain 40 years ago there was a force called the Guardia Civil. Those guys really were to be feared. People I knew tended to see them as Franco’s enforcers.

The T shirt incident at the Cup Final was pretty disgusting in my view. I’m glad the wearer was grabbed by the authorities. I hope no one sees that behaviour as ‘just banter’.
Oops! I've just come back from a trip to Seville and it must have been in mind when I wrote the message!
Of course it should have been Guardia Civil and you are correct about them being Franco's enforcers, which in fact is why they were originally formed...as Franco's private police force to keep the population in check.
However, things are much different now although they are still a force to be reckoned with and you 'dis' them at your peril. Having said that they do keep a firm grip and probably are the root cause of low crime.
I recall an instance when I first came here, a local Brit was stopped by GC motor bikes and given an on the spot fine of 40euro for which he had the temerity to ask for a receipt!!
He ended up going to court for a number of motoring offences and received a 1000euro fine!

And yes, totally agree about the T shirt incident..in fact I'm a little surprised none of the football fans admonished him??
bl**dy immigrants going over to Spain breaking their laws - deport them.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:41 pm
eltorrro wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:32 pm

Spain.

bl**dy immigrants going over to Spain breaking their laws - deport them.
:smt005 :rofl :thumb :chickmoon :chickmoon
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

I think they are called ex-pats now :D
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:20 pm I think they are called ex-pats now :D
No ex-Pats are deceased Irishmen
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man