Transfer Window: How many will Pompey Sign on Wednesday?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Transfer Window: How many will Pompey Sign on Wednesday?

Post by Jack_Tinn »

The transfer window opens on Wednesday 14th June 2023. Pompey can on that day register any new player that they have agreed terms.

There is no requirement that Pompey sign anyone on Wednesday but it would be welcome. The club have said they would like to sign 9 - 10 new players this off-season and they would like as many of these in the building for when pre-season training begins.

So purely for fun. How many players do you believe Pompey will sign/announce on Wednesday.

I'm going to go for two players. what do you think?

Also, would you worry if the day or week passed without any signings?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Transfer Window: How many will Pompey Sign on Wednesday?

Post by Pompey55 »

I’d go for none but would not start worrying unless we don’t make significant progress by the time players report back for preseason
Certainly not a fan of Cowley and his big list of players on trial during preseason few if any end up signing
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I don't think we will sign anyone.

Jay Mingi will sign for someone and no ambition will get branded about for a while.

Then we will make a marquee signing... Literally a signing in a marquee on the side of a pitch in Spain - not Messi.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

By the end of the week sticking my neck out I reckon we will have Norris plus Whyte and Dan Agyei watch this space.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:31 pm By the end of the week sticking my neck out I reckon we will have Norris plus Whyte and Dan Agyei watch this space.
I wouldn’t think that because Agyei had one good season in league 2 that he’d be good at our level prior to Crewe he had 4.5 seasons in league one with 11 goals in 93 appearances in my opinion I think he’s found his level where he is
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Pompey55 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:35 pm
jam tomorrow wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:31 pm By the end of the week sticking my neck out I reckon we will have Norris plus Whyte and Dan Agyei watch this space.
I wouldn’t think that because Agyei had one good season in league 2 that he’d be good at our level prior to Crewe he had 4.5 seasons in league one with 11 goals in 93 appearances in my opinion I think he’s found his level where he is
All will be revealed he has done well in league two so there’s a good chance he will fancy his chances in League one
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:02 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:35 pm
All will be revealed he has done well in league two so there’s a good chance he will fancy his chances in League one
If we sign him I hope he does well, he may fancy his chances in league one but as I said he’s had a good try already and never produced either goals or assists
Whyte however doesn’t score a lot but has an impressive record of providing assists and I think would be a good addition at this level
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Cullen said in an interview with Radio Solent today that he is confident of a couple of signings this week:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0ftqzj6

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I wouldn't know what the club has lined up trasfer wise, like everyone else on this board, but I don't think it is unduly important that anyone is signed specifically on the opening day of the window. However, I am more confident about the signing of good quality players after the comments made by the owners. A couple of my biggest concerns about the clubs transfer policy was the budget and the reliance on the loan system. Both these concerns appear to have been addressed by the club in saying that the budget has been increased and that the club are going to rely less on the loan market. Eric Eisner's apparent optimism on our promotion capabilities is also a confidence booster. If that is what he really believes we have to assume that it is based on something, perhaps the size of the transfer budget. So, hopefully, I can have a moan free season, although I don't like playing with a loan striker.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Conor Shaughnessy signed free transfer from Burton Centre back
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:19 pm Conor Shaughnessy signed free transfer from Burton Centre back
Saw that BBC Solent saying it’s a done deal he seems to be useful however 26 years old and only 126 games hope he’s not another injury prone player
Also right sided centre back so where does that leave the interest in Bernard as surely we don’t need both plus Raggett in that position
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Pompey55 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:33 pm
jam tomorrow wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:19 pm Conor Shaughnessy signed free transfer from Burton Centre back
Saw that BBC Solent saying it’s a done deal he seems to be useful however 26 years old and only 126 games hope he’s not another injury prone player
Also right sided centre back so where does that leave the interest in Bernard as surely we don’t need both plus Raggett in that position
Not sure maybe he is just a squad player replacement for injuries I hope so
-- Diane Johnson
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I think Towler and Raggett are left sided centre backs and Mousinho wants two right sided centre backs: Conor Shaughnessy would be the 2nd of these if Barnard signs and would presumably be an option as first choice centre half if he didn't.

I see he's 6'4" and can also play centre midfield . I think it is helpful to have some height for set pieces and his versatility in position is helpful too if (Barnard signs and) he is going to be a regular player for the subs bench.

Nice slide rule pass in this video whilst playing as Centre Half for Leeds.

https://streamable.com/infu9
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:00 pm
I think Towler and Raggett are left sided centre backs and Mousinho wants two right sided centre backs: Conor Shaughnessy would be the 2nd of these if Barnard signs and would presumably be an option as first choice centre half if he didn't.

I see he's 6'4" and can also play centre midfield . I think it is helpful to have some height for set pieces and his versatility in position is helpful too if (Barnard signs and) he is going to be a regular player for the subs bench.
With respect I’m sorry that’s not the case Raggett is a right sided centre back thus why when Bernard played the later games he was not played
Last season we started with Raggett right Robertson Left Centre
Then it’s was Towler/Raggett or Towler/Bernard later in the season as Robertson was injured
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Pompey55 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:09 pm
Jack_Tinn wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:00 pm

With respect I’m sorry that’s not the case Raggett is a right sided centre back thus why when Bernard played the later games he was not played
Last season we started with Raggett right Robertson Left Centre
Then it’s was Towler/Raggett or Towler/Bernard later in the season as Robertson was injured
Until Mousinho and Towler arrived Raggett played most of his games for Pompey from the left side of the centre half pairings. The start of last season the back two pairing was Morrison and Raggett. Even when Robertson returned from injury Raggett kept the left hand side and Robertson played left back. I get that he is right footed and that he can play on the right side too but he's played most of his career as a right footed left sided centre half.

When Morrison left in Jan he moved over to the right hand side firstly since he can and Robertson can't....and also because Barnard was getting up to speed and overcoming injury. When Towler started Raggs moved over again to accommodate him because he could. Raggs was out of the side when Barnard and Towler were both fit and up to speed because he is 30 years of age and developing younger more technically gifted players is now the direction of travel for Pompey