Signing number 6!

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: Signing number 6!

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Blue Walter wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:53 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:24 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:18 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:46 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:58 am
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:01 am we are going down this season, I mean signing 6 absolutely useless players within a week of the window opening, what were the board and manager thinking.
Now I havent seen these players in action, either for their old teams, or as part of a pompey team being coached by the mouse, however if their stats say they are sh!te well then they must be, after all stats dont lie do they
A bit over the top response, if I may say. I am sure all the players that have been signed are competent, which doesn't turn us into relegation fodder. As I have said before this present regime have come up with some good signings and, from all accounts, the signing of Devlin in the face of opposition seems to be a bit of a coup. Conversely just because we have suddenly come up with a mass of signings doesn't make us world beaters either. It is the quality of the signings that make the difference. Judgement on the transfer activity can only really be judged when the window has closed and the performance of the new players. What am questioning is that the pedigree of some of the signings are not that exciting at the moment. That's not to say they are bad signings because I don't know much about them but they don't appear very inspiring just yet for a team that has an increased transfer budget with promotion in mind.
Who should we have been singing?

I think one of the important points that gets swept under the carpet here is the fact they they are all on 2 or 3 year deals, mostly with club options. That means that for future years while sale changes become less, equally if these players kick on, we will see a return on them. Small but important details.

How many of the Plymouth players were / are names? Same for Barnsley, Peterborough and other teams that finished above us. Very few.

Before we signed Linvoy on a free he had made 90 ish appearances for Reading over 3 years - hardly inspiring... But look what happened there.

Of course you may well be right and I am not saying that they are going to fail. Some could well turn out to be great signings whereas, quite possibly, some won't. I still say that the signings of Stevenson and Shaughnessy are not the most inspiring. They have come from clubs who didn't do very well last season and they don't have a pedigree that would suggest they should be good. Mousinho obviously sees something in them that moved him to sign them and I do hope it's not the cheapness that was the attraction. Scully looks like he can operate in League One but, perhaps, not the Championship. I can see the attraction in the other three but I haven't seen anything yet that gives me confidence we are going to give it a real go just yet. You say we have them on 2 or three years contracts but I can't quite see why that should boost confidence in these players. There are still 3 or 4 places for players to come in yet so maybe the 'marquee' signings are still to come. However, I am pretty certain a place or two will be taken up by loans so there can't be too many permanent signings to come. I am sorry to say I am underwhelmed a little with the business so far.

I give you John Marquis, a name people knew, a proven player, look what happened there
I also give you Rafferty, hardly known when he signed, didnt play at first, turned into a top top player for us last year
Thanks for giving me those two players but I am not sure what point you are trying to are. Marquis was a flop in the end, I grant you, but I don't necessarily put the whole blame on him. I think the managers here failed to get the best out of him by the way they stuck rigidly to the way they wanted to play, but not how to get the best out of the players at their disposal. Not playing to strengths. Plus the fact wasn't really that good anyway, but did you already know that? Or was you like me, excited when we brought him in? You mentioned Rafferty but I was aware of him and I was very keen to know we had signed him and he did live up to what I thought he can do.

Are you saying that you think all the players we have signed have got 'let's have a real crack at promotion' about them? Are you excited by the signings we have made? Do you think these are statement of intent signings or are you a little deflated by the business so far, especially after all the rhetoric about promotion before the season started?

I am quite excited by how Devlin and Saydee shapes up and to see if Scully is as good as Curtis on the left wing. However, as things stand, I don't think the match day eleven is an improvement on last seasons one just yet, do you? Hopefully it will turn out to be a master stroke with these signings, if so I will say well done and I got it wrong to be so doubting.
your first sentence proved my point Walter, Marquis proved to be a flop in the ned, but you dont blame him you blame the manager and system
Thats my point, you can take a name and if mous doesnt play him the right way he will be a flop, equally if a "nobody" comes along and mous gets the best out of him he isnt a nobody any more.

of course i am not saying they are all league winners, but I am equally saying they arent relegation fodder.
What i am excited about is that the management team have identified players that they think they can make a team out of, and have gone out and got those players very early in the window, and not only that they have been signed permanently and on 2/3 year deals.

you say you dont think they are an improvement, but thats an on paper improvement, not an on pitch, because that is as yet unkown.
How many arsenal fans said WTF when wenger signed a skinny french winger and played him as a centre forward?
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

can we also all remind ourselves that the transfer window only opened eight days ago. That we have signed 6 permanent players in that time (and no loan players) and all of these signings can join in the right from the start of pre-season training.

The window does not close for another sixty eight days - so plenty of time to get the difference maker players that we all want to see the club sign but are not always easy to sign from other clubs. This first wave may just be those that they have targeted early and are deals that are the most easy to conclude.

Last year it took Pompey twelve days after the window opened before they signed anyone and were still discussing which trialists were going on the summer camp/bonding exercise the night before they flew out for it.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:18 pm can we also all remind ourselves that the transfer window only opened eight days ago. That we have signed 6 permanent players in that time (and no loan players) and all of these signings can join in the right from the start of pre-season training.

The window does not close for another sixty eight days - so plenty of time to get the difference maker players that we all want to see the club sign but are not always easy to sign from other clubs. This first wave may just be those that they have targeted early and are deals that are the most easy to conclude.

Last year it took Pompey twelve days after the window opened before they signed anyone and were still discussing which trialists were going on the summer camp/bonding exercise the night before they flew out for it.
Which is exactly the point I made. We are discussing the business up to now not for the whole window.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Blue Walter wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:45 pm
Jack_Tinn wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:18 pm can we also all remind ourselves that the transfer window only opened eight days ago. That we have signed 6 permanent players in that time (and no loan players) and all of these signings can join in the right from the start of pre-season training.

Which is exactly the point I made. We are discussing the business up to now not for the whole window.
I don't have an issue with your viewpoint BW. Personally, I am pleased with the business getting done early. Ultimately Hughes and Mousinho jobs are dependent upon them getting results and therefore these transfers correct. They did a decent job with Macey and Towler (neither players I had seen before they signed) so I am happy to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:01 am we are going down this season, I mean signing 6 absolutely useless players within a week of the window opening, what were the board and manager thinking.
Now I havent seen these players in action, either for their old teams, or as part of a pompey team being coached by the mouse, however if their stats say they are sh!te well then they must be, after all stats dont lie do they
Fell about laughing when I read this post - assumed it was totally non-serious....especially the cryptic reference to the (un)reliability of the stats.

Thanks PB2

[Or were you trying to make a serious point? Without even waiting to see the full picture from PFC? :? ]
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:49 pm
A bit over the top response, if I may say. I am sure all the players that have been signed are competent, which doesn't turn us into relegation fodder. As I have said before this present regime have come up with some good signings and, from all accounts, the signing of Devlin in the face of opposition seems to be a bit of a coup. Conversely just because we have suddenly come up with a mass of signings doesn't make us world beaters either. It is the quality of the signings that make the difference. Judgement on the transfer activity can only really be judged when the window has closed and the performance of the new players. What am questioning is that the pedigree of some of the signings are not that exciting at the moment. That's not to say they are bad signings because I don't know much about them but they don't appear very inspiring just yet for a team that has an increased transfer budget with promotion in mind.

I think one of the important points that gets swept under the carpet here is the fact they they are all on 2 or 3 year deals, mostly with club options. That means that for future years while sale changes become less, equally if these players kick on, we will see a return on them. Small but important details.

How many of the Plymouth players were / are names? Same for Barnsley, Peterborough and other teams that finished above us. Very few.

Before we signed Linvoy on a free he had made 90 ish appearances for Reading over 3 years - hardly inspiring... But look what happened there.

Of course you may well be right and I am not saying that they are going to fail. Some could well turn out to be great signings whereas, quite possibly, some won't. I still say that the signings of Stevenson and Shaughnessy are not the most inspiring. They have come from clubs who didn't do very well last season and they don't have a pedigree that would suggest they should be good. Mousinho obviously sees something in them that moved him to sign them and I do hope it's not the cheapness that was the attraction. Scully looks like he can operate in League One but, perhaps, not the Championship. I can see the attraction in the other three but I haven't seen anything yet that gives me confidence we are going to give it a real go just yet. You say we have them on 2 or three years contracts but I can't quite see why that should boost confidence in these players. There are still 3 or 4 places for players to come in yet so maybe the 'marquee' signings are still to come. However, I am pretty certain a place or two will be taken up by loans so there can't be too many permanent signings to come. I am sorry to say I am underwhelmed a little with the business so far.

I give you John Marquis, a name people knew, a proven player, look what happened there
I also give you Rafferty, hardly known when he signed, didnt play at first, turned into a top top player for us last year
Thanks for giving me those two players but I am not sure what point you are trying to are. Marquis was a flop in the end, I grant you, but I don't necessarily put the whole blame on him. I think the managers here failed to get the best out of him by the way they stuck rigidly to the way they wanted to play, but not how to get the best out of the players at their disposal. Not playing to strengths. Plus the fact wasn't really that good anyway, but did you already know that? Or was you like me, excited when we brought him in? You mentioned Rafferty but I was aware of him and I was very keen to know we had signed him and he did live up to what I thought he can do.

Are you saying that you think all the players we have signed have got 'let's have a real crack at promotion' about them? Are you excited by the signings we have made? Do you think these are statement of intent signings or are you a little deflated by the business so far, especially after all the rhetoric about promotion before the season started?

I am quite excited by how Devlin and Saydee shapes up and to see if Scully is as good as Curtis on the left wing. However, as things stand, I don't think the match day eleven is an improvement on last seasons one just yet, do you? Hopefully it will turn out to be a master stroke with these signings, if so I will say well done and I got it wrong to be so doubting.
your first sentence proved my point Walter, Marquis proved to be a flop in the ned, but you dont blame him you blame the manager and system
Thats my point, you can take a name and if mous doesnt play him the right way he will be a flop, equally if a "nobody" comes along and mous gets the best out of him he isnt a nobody any more.

of course i am not saying they are all league winners, but I am equally saying they arent relegation fodder.
What i am excited about is that the management team have identified players that they think they can make a team out of, and have gone out and got those players very early in the window, and not only that they have been signed permanently and on 2/3 year deals.

you say you dont think they are an improvement, but thats an on paper improvement, not an on pitch, because that is as yet unkown.
How many arsenal fans said WTF when wenger signed a skinny french winger and played him as a centre forward?

Porchy, you have done it again. You said that I blamed the managers and systems for Marquis's lack of success, which I did, but you conveniently left out that I said that as it turned out he wasn't that good anyway. I never said that qe have been turned into relegation fodder either. By all means disagree with me but do it fairly.

I don't even know why I am even responding to your post to be quite honest because I don't particularly disagree with you on the subject of these new players. I have already said that it may that Mousinho may turn these players into a decent team . I have already acknowledged that in Devlin it represents a possible gem several other clubs thought so too. I also acknowledged that Saydee could turn out to be a great signing as to Scully might be rejuvenated by his move here. We needed a keeper anyway so job done there.

Where we do disagree is that I have been underwhelmed so far as I was hoping to see players of pedigree arriving. Although you didn't answer my question I assume you are excited about the new arrivals. Whereas I wanted players coming in that were better than what we have you are quite happy with our arrivals. Whichever way I have never said they were rubbish because they could turn out to be great, I don't know. Who does knows, apart from you and a couple of others.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:18 pm

Porchy, you have done it again. You said that I blamed the managers and systems for Marquis's lack of success, which I did, but you conveniently left out that I said that as it turned out he wasn't that good anyway. I never said that qe have been turned into relegation fodder either. By all means disagree with me but do it fairly.

I don't even know why I am even responding to your post to be quite honest because I don't particularly disagree with you on the subject of these new players. I have already said that it may that Mousinho may turn these players into a decent team . I have already acknowledged that in Devlin it represents a possible gem several other clubs thought so too. I also acknowledged that Saydee could turn out to be a great signing as to Scully might be rejuvenated by his move here. We needed a keeper anyway so job done there.

Where we do disagree is that I have been underwhelmed so far as I was hoping to see players of pedigree arriving. Although you didn't answer my question I assume you are excited about the new arrivals. Whereas I wanted players coming in that were better than what we have you are quite happy with our arrivals. Whichever way I have never said they were rubbish because they could turn out to be great, I don't know. Who does knows, apart from you and a couple of others.
Can you give an example of a player of pedigree though? What sort of players we're you expecting / hoping for?
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

I see that in his first interview Stevenson mentioned that he was injured for the last 2 months of last season, so was not available for Ferguson to pick.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Berkshire Blue wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:38 pm I see that in his first interview Stevenson mentioned that he was injured for the last 2 months of last season, so was not available for Ferguson to pick.
Said he was probably fit for the last two games but they were already down.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:28 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:18 pm

Can you give an example of a player of pedigree though? What sort of players we're you expecting / hoping for?

Some of the players we have been supposedly connected with or players from the Championship looking for regular game time. Players that want to go to an ambitious upwardly mobile club. Perhaps even fringe players at Premiership clubs who are out of contract but, no doubt, these players would be too expensive for us. Maybe the sort of players Ipswich went for when they were looking to get out of this league. I don't know any particular names really but players from clubs relegated to League 2 are not the most inspiring. However, I don't discount that these players may well turn out to be good and that players coming from a higher league could fail. But players with good pedigree is a good start.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:02 pm Some of the players we have been supposedly connected with or players from the Championship looking for regular game time. Players that want to go to an ambitious upwardly mobile club. Perhaps even fringe players at Premiership clubs who are out of contract but, no doubt, these players would be too expensive for us. Maybe the sort of players Ipswich went for when they were looking to get out of this league. I don't know any particular names really but players from clubs relegated to League 2 are not the most inspiring. However, I don't discount that these players may well turn out to be good and that players coming from a higher league could fail. But players with good pedigree is a good start.
Scully - was in the championship last season. Looking for game time.
Saydee - signed from a premier League club.
Devlin - signed from a club who were going to play European football.
All the players we have signed believe they have signed for an ambitious upwardly mobile club, they have all said so. They certainly aren't looking for one last pay day.

How many league one clubs sign fringe premier league players?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Barely played last year previously only played at our level mostly

After being farmed out to lower league clubs and spending last season at Shrewsbury hardly setting the world on fire then released by Bournemouth

In the qualifying for the Europa cup/plate and playing for a team possibly at league 1/2 level in quality

All the players we have signed believe they have signed for an ambitious upwardly mobile club,

LMFAO

they have all said so. They certainly aren't looking for one last pay day.

They have signed because that was the best deal their agents could negotiate not because of some magical belief in the club

Obviously they are not going to say that based on our signings so far we are not likely to do anymore than possibly challenge for a playoff place

Who Saydee was never a fringe premier league player he was part of a pool of players in their development squad

[/quote]

I’m not saying that they are bad signings but please don’t insult my intelligence with such a ridiculous statement of pointless facts

This thread is going nowhere so I’m not bothering to comment at all on players anymore because certain people think the sun shines out of the recruitment teams back ends and anyone who thinks they are recruiting players no better than those we had last season are the one who are the delusional ones

I’ll be back after we play Bristol in our first match and enjoyed winding Barton up
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:33 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:02 pm Some of the players we have been supposedly connected with or players from the Championship looking for regular game time. Players that want to go to an ambitious upwardly mobile club. Perhaps even fringe players at Premiership clubs who are out of contract but, no doubt, these players would be too expensive for us. Maybe the sort of players Ipswich went for when they were looking to get out of this league. I don't know any particular names really but players from clubs relegated to League 2 are not the most inspiring. However, I don't discount that these players may well turn out to be good and that players coming from a higher league could fail. But players with good pedigree is a good start.
All the players we have signed believe they have signed for an ambitious upwardly mobile club, they have all said so. They certainly aren't looking for one last pay day.

You obviously don't read my posts do you, I don't suppose you have much time for posts that don't totally agree with what you say. All the players you mentioned I have acknowledged on their merits as signings.

Yes Scully was in the Championship last season and I think he managed about 5 games, I am sure you will correct me if I am wrong of course. Injury didn't help his cause but he does have good pedigree from his time in League One though. But is he better than Curtis? I think they appear to be very much the same mould but Curtis won't be available much of next season and then he is probably off. Like for like perhaps, Scully may turn out to be better or worse whatever the case may be.

Saydee never played in the Premiership and Devlin played in a league well below League One standard, possibly akin to the Conference, but as you say in Europe next season. But good signings for their possible potential, as I have said which you may have missed.

Of course Stevenson is glad to be at Pompey rather than playing in League Two with a little club. Shaughnessy likewise really, he would prefer to swap, quite possibly another relegation battle with Burton, for a promotion tilt here. All players will say the right PR stuff, I would have thought someone as knowledgeable as yourself would know that.

How many League One clubs sign fringe Premiership players?, well Pompey are supposed to be trying to get Bernard from Manchester United, who are a Premiership club. As you have said yourself Saydee cam from a Premiership club.

I don't even think that we have made bad signings because they could all turn out to be gems. But as yet I am a bit underwhelmed by our business so far whereas you are cockerhoop, but thats OK we just disagree slightly.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Blue Walter wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:40 pm
NSRailings wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:38 pm
Pompey Mike in Suffolk wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:08 pm The surprising thing to me is that we have so many experts on this board that are able to decide that the players bought so far are not good enough and will not fit into a system that the mouse is deciding to play. Possibly they may play well together.
Surely, once the season or even pre-season starts then will be the time to make judgments over our teams future.
Apparently, Stevenson's a "waste of space" already. It's utterly pointless judging a new player until he's had a chance.

Who said he was a 'waste of space"?
Pompey55 did early in this thread.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:41 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:33 pm

You obviously don't read my posts do you, I don't suppose you have much time for posts that don't totally agree with what you say. All the players you mentioned I have acknowledged on their merits as signings.

Yes Scully was in the Championship last season and I think he managed about 5 games, I am sure you will correct me if I am wrong of course. Injury didn't help his cause but he does have good pedigree from his time in League One though. But is he better than Curtis? I think they appear to be very much the same mould but Curtis won't be available much of next season and then he is probably off. Like for like perhaps, Scully may turn out to be better or worse whatever the case may be.

Saydee never played in the Premiership and Devlin played in a league well below League One standard, possibly akin to the Conference, but as you say in Europe next season. But good signings for their possible potential, as I have said which you may have missed.

Of course Stevenson is glad to be at Pompey rather than playing in League Two with a little club. Shaughnessy likewise really, he would prefer to swap, quite possibly another relegation battle with Burton, for a promotion tilt here. All players will say the right PR stuff, I would have thought someone as knowledgeable as yourself would know that.

How many League One clubs sign fringe Premiership players?, well Pompey are supposed to be trying to get Bernard from Manchester United, who are a Premiership club. As you have said yourself Saydee cam from a Premiership club.

I don't even think that we have made bad signings because they could all turn out to be gems. But as yet I am a bit underwhelmed by our business so far whereas you are cockerhoop, but thats OK we just disagree slightly.
I'm just taking the signings at face value - I'm not sure who you and other posters think we should be looking to sign? I believe your expectations with regards to the sort of players we should be looking to sign are at best unrealistic, and you are never going to be happy.

Barnard and Saydee aren't fringe Premier League players they weren't ever going to get near the grass - no problem with that but calling them fringe premier league players is a stretch...