4 More Says Hughes.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 163 times

Re: 4 More Says Hughes.

Post by Pompey55 »

I do think that as Moushino has said no more strikers and what we have could play the 8/10 position they are taking a massive leap of faith hoping both Saydee and Yengi come good pretty quickly having had very little tangible record of doing so previously
I just hope his confidence is justified as otherwise I can see the same goal scoring issues we had last season being repeated and god forbid Bishop gets injured or suspended for any period of time
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

I do agree. I think we need another "good" striker. Happy to take a punt on untested talent but goals win matches. Hoping this is a bit of a play and we have one in our sights and being a bit savy in not declaring interest. Have been pleasantly surprised so far this window and a marquee striker will be the cherry on top of a good window assuming we also get the 4 Hughes mentions.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:21 pm I do think that as Moushino has said no more strikers and what we have could play the 8/10 position they are taking a massive leap of faith hoping both Saydee and Yengi come good pretty quickly having had very little tangible record of doing so previously
I just hope his confidence is justified as otherwise I can see the same goal scoring issues we had last season being repeated and god forbid Bishop gets injured or suspended for any period of time
I think that's a little disingenuous to Saydee, last season he was a 1 in 3 striker in this league.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:39 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:21 pm I do think that as Moushino has said no more strikers and what we have could play the 8/10 position they are taking a massive leap of faith hoping both Saydee and Yengi come good pretty quickly having had very little tangible record of doing so previously
I think that's a little disingenuous to Saydee, last season he was a 1 in 3 striker in this league.
No he was not 7 goals 3 assist in 35 league one appearances started 30 games substituted on 5 games according to transfermarkd and whoscored.com as I double checked
So 1 in 5 games
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 180 times

Re: 4 Mor Says Hughes.

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:06 pm
No he was not 7 goals 3 assist in 35 league one appearances started 30 games substituted on 5 games according to transfermarkd and whoscored.com as I double checked
So 1 in 5 games
Would still be second top goal scorer..

He improved from the season before, which is all that can be asked of a youngster being given their chance.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:13 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:06 pm
So 1 in 5 games
Last season he was a 1 in 3 striker - which is why I said last season he was a 1 in 3 striker. Or to put it another way, last season he would have been our second highest goalscorer.

He improved from the season before, which is all that can be asked of a youngster being given their chance.
I’ve not said he’s not improving but it a big ask for him to hold his own if Bishop is unavailable based on his record previously
In reality we could have signed any number of strikers who scored 7 last season and they would all have been our second highest scorer
Using that argument actually highlights the problem we had last season what we need is players who contribute goals in double figures or can match Bishop if he’s missing next season and we still do not have that based on previous seasons
I did not say Saydee and Yengi did not have the potential to achieve that just that it’s a bit of a risk expecting them to based on their past record
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Even though I previously said we probably could do with another marquee striker I do also appreciate goals coming from all areas of the team is probably better than just having one or two players who can score most of your goals.

In an ideal world both is better obviously. Given the choice I’d rather have a good team than a team of good individuals if that makes sense.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I understand the call for a proven marquee striker to be signed but:

1. marquee strikers are not readily available - they are a rare commodity;
2. those strikers cost significant money (transfer fees and wages);
3. those strikers want to be playing regularly and Mousinho's system is one central striker with two wing/support forwards not 4-4-2

Pompey probably chose between building a squad with two young strikers or putting that money into signing one more experienced player approaching the end of their career as a back up to Bishop. They have gone with pace, power, youth and development opportunity from Saydee and Yengi and I think most would understand that is probably the better decision over the medium term for Pompey.

Don't forget the transfer window is open until end of August and Pompey still have five match day squad loan places that they can choose to use if an option comes available to add to the squad later in the window or even in January.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:45 pm Even though I previously said we probably could do with another marquee striker I do also appreciate goals coming from all areas of the team is probably better than just having one or two players who can score most of your goals.

In an ideal world both is better obviously. Given the choice I’d rather have a good team than a team of good individuals if that makes sense.
It is the same with creativity - better to have lots of players with assists than to rely on one or two players to create scoring opportunities.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:26 am I understand the call for a proven marquee striker to be signed but:

3. those strikers want to be playing regularly and Mousinho's system is one central striker with two wing/support forwards not 4-4-2

Pompey probably chose between building a squad with two young strikers or putting that money into signing one more experienced player approaching the end of their career as a back up to Bishop. They have gone with pace, power, youth and development opportunity from Saydee and Yengi and I think most would understand that is probably the better decision over the medium term for Pompey.

Don't forget the transfer window is open until end of August and Pompey still have five match day squad loan places that they can choose to use if an option comes available to add to the squad later in the window or even in January.
I totally agree that in the medium term it’s best for the club to have up and coming talent up front but I would have preferred something akin to last season when we had Scarlett as the young potential all be it on loan and Pigott with experience
I think it’s all about a balance but we have gone down the route of 2 fairly inexperienced young prospects ( although at 24 Yengi is not so young) and Moushino was very clear yesterday there are no plans to add the that
That’s my concern the signings so far in my opinion seem to indicate a transitional period of yet another 3 window period and not a concerted promotion push.Although they would take a playoff position if circumstances allow it thus the 2 year contracts to the squad quality players and longer to those we see as assets for the future
Apart from Scully I can’t see goals coming from anywhere consistently apart from Bishop even then that’s based on his form 2 years ago not last season and that is very similar to that offered by Curtis when fit and playing on the left
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:26 am I understand the call for a proven marquee striker to be signed but:

All good fair points. It is refreshing to see us building a good squad with development opportunity. I'm quietly optimistic for the upcoming season.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix