Wimbledon

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Wimbledon

Post by eltorrro »

Sam_Brown wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:20 pm
eltorrro wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:44 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:42 pm
eltorrro wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:33 pm
eltorrro wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:31 pm From the ground:

Pompey update. Sean Raggett has a back spasm. Colby Bishop is here, just a bit stiff after Saturday’s game.
Although there is no sign of the new goalkeeper John Mousinho had hoped to have recruited in time to be involved.
Was that a direct quote from someone at the club or just slow news day rumours?
That is c&p from The News reporting from Plough Lane
Sorry. I meant that Mou said we would have a new keeper today.
Yes, he said negotiations were well advanced and hoped for them to be completed in time for new keeper to play tonight.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

At the end of the day it’s just a pre season friendly the only concern is Lane limped off injured and Pack Bishop and Raggett never played
It’s all about learning and the team gelling rather than results
It just shows our midfield need to be more creative as do our wide players and our strikers need to score if possible that can all be sorted out on the training ground and on Saturday when we play our next friendly when I’d hope we actually play our best 11 from the start
Or that’s what we are actually led to believe is the aim
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

It's true that the result of pre-season friendlies is irrelevant but we have to see something encouraging and based on the numerous reports, this match showed no enterprise, no cohesion and very, very few chances. True, the side was flipped at half-time but the evidence of a lack of creativity, chances and general quality was apparent in both halves. No number 10, no competition for Bishop and a priority of quantity over quality in summer recruitment are already there to see.
I will show my ar@e in Burton's window if it turns out otherwise but predict another desolate, hand-wringing nine months ahead of us.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

I do wonder if our transfer dealings apart from a back up keeper are at an end as last night Devlin was on the club website team sheet as number 8 it will be I interesting to see what it is on Saturday also from the initial view from Moushino that's Lanes injury looked bad doesn't sound promising
Still glad to hear from Moushino that it's all teething problems which can be sorted out in training and Saturdays friendly the problem as always is a lack of a creative central midfield which I'm afraid doesn't look like something we intent to invest in if Devlin now has the 8 shirt so sorry not teething problems but a lack of a player in a key position

Snooze now reporting that Moushino Anjorin is still a possibility despite reports he's gone to Reading so maybe we do still have an interest in bolstering the midfield
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

The lack of a creative attacking midfielder has been apparent ever since Gary Roberts left. We could have got Wing but he went to Reading. Why are we so reluctant to pay to fill this extremely important position?
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:10 am I do wonder if our transfer dealings apart from a back up keeper are at an end as last night Devlin was on the club website team sheet as number 8 it will be I interesting to see what it is on Saturday also from the initial view from Moushino that's Lanes injury looked bad doesn't sound promising
Still glad to hear from Moushino that it's all teething problems which can be sorted out in training and Saturdays friendly the problem as always is a lack of a creative central midfield which I'm afraid doesn't look like something we intent to invest in if Devlin now has the 8 shirt so sorry not teething problems but a lack of a player in a key position

Snooze now reporting that Moushino Anjorin is still a possibility despite reports he's gone to Reading so maybe we do still have an interest in bolstering the midfield
Have their used their squad numbers so far in preseason? Or even this year's kit?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:22 am
Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:10 am I do wonder if our transfer dealings apart from a back up keeper are at an end as last night Devlin was on the club website team sheet as number 8 it will be I interesting to see what it is on Saturday also from the initial view from Moushino that's Lanes injury looked bad doesn't sound promising

Have their used their squad numbers so far in preseason? Or even this year's kit?
Not sure about the kit but if the club site was accurate for the Havant and Gosport games used the specified squad numbers as far as I recall
Looking at the Crawley videos again yes used squad numbers and what looked like Devlin was wearing 8 then as well and certainly Yengi 24 not 19 as previously advised
Same as per website lineup last night
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:29 am
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:22 am

Not sure about the kit but if the club site was accurate for the Havant and Gosport games used the specified squad numbers as far as I recall
Looking at the Crawley videos again yes used squad numbers and what looked like Devlin was wearing 8 then as well and certainly Yengi 24 not 19 as previously advised
Same as per website lineup last night
Ok cool - not looked that closely, but think your probably reading a bit too much into who's wearing the number 8 has being important 1-11 hasn't mattered for about 25 years.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

can i ask why the hell we are so fixated on the number 8 shirt ???
Players have all sorts of numbers these days what difference does the shirt number make anymore ??
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:14 am The lack of a creative attacking midfielder has been apparent ever since Gary Roberts left. We could have got Wing but he went to Reading. Why are we so reluctant to pay to fill this extremely important position?
creativity was no where to be seen against crawley, no chances created all game
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I was at the game last night, and whilst the players all wore numbered shirts, they didn't have their names printed on them.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Selsey Bill wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:44 am I was at the game last night, and whilst the players all wore numbered shirts, they didn't have their names printed on them.
What did you think?
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:14 am can i ask why the hell we are so fixated on the number 8 shirt ???
Players have all sorts of numbers these days what difference does the shirt number make anymore ??
I personally preferred the coveted 69 when I used to play waaaaay back in the day!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:33 am
Selsey Bill wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:44 am I was at the game last night, and whilst the players all wore numbered shirts, they didn't have their names printed on them.
What did you think?
I never get too worked up about friendlies, especially as I think players tend to hold back a bit. That said, I thought we looked a little lacklustre last night.
For the first 15-20 minutes they hardly touched the ball. We must have had 85%. Passed the ball about neatly, played out from the back and bossed midfield, tried to penetrate their defence with Saydee and the loanee from Norwich trying some neat little moves that didn't quite come off. Their goal was completely against the run of play, with their number 10 (the impressive Ali Al-Hamadi) rinsing Towler down the right wing, cutting in and then crossing low and hard. Own goal off Stevenson, a bit fortuitous, but created by pace and confusion, something we lacked last night. Slightly concerning that this didn't cajole us straight into action, though we ended the half very strongly, forcing a couple of corners late on. We started the second half with Josh in goal and then proceeded to give everyone on the bench a run out, with the exception of Pack.
For what it is worth:
Norris - could do nothing about the goal, but hardly tested other than with that. Did appear very calm and collected though which bodes well.
Rafferty - captain's armband, but surprisingly didn't really lead during his first half appearance
Poole - really liked the look of him. Very commanding in defence, and keen to play out with the ball. Surprised he wasn't made captain in Pack's absence. Definitely an upgrade on Raggett.
Towler - played the full 90 which would indicate the starting position could be his? Generally very good, and again comfortanle with the ball at his feet. Did get skinned a couple of times by Al-Hamidi though which is a slight concern that I have put down to lack of fitness.
Ogilvie - did OK, took a couple of clattering tackles in his stride, tried hard to link up with Scully on a attack on a few occasions, but none of them quite came off.
Stevenson - played holding MF in Pack's place, played the full 90 minutes and looks like a great deputy for our club captain
Lowery - one of the most pleasing things about last night is that Tommy looks back to his best. Bossed midfield for much of the game, was replaced by Morrell late on. Suspect Morrell may still start ahead of him as don't see them both in the same starting eleven.
Whyte - one of the biggest disappointments for me last night, again though, will put it down to match fitness as showed some glimpses of quality
Kamara - our loanee from Norwich - has great feet, but is a little lightweight. Tried really hard, and could be a great impact player to bring on when legs are tired. Played the full 90.
Scully - looked good in parts, and shows great attacking threat. Things just didn't come off for him last night. Will improve with the team gelling
Saydee - he was a revelation - a definite contender for man of the match. Reminded me of Yakubu in stature, and should scare a few L1 defenders. Held the ball up very well, tracked back to help the defence, and not afraid to get stuck in. Could become a fan's favourite, and work well alongside the Bish.
Oluwemi - Josh played well, marking a smart couple of stops, and was greeted well by the Pompey fans which should do his confidence the world of good.
Swanson - I thought he looked better than Rafferty, sharper, quicker, more skillful. Our strongest position I'd say.
Shaughnessy - was quite impressive with his 20 odd minutes. Another good back up, and surely pushes Raggs back to 4th choice?
The other players not on long enough to give any opinion about.
All in all, a little disappointed, but not at all worried at this stage. Not quite gelling yet, but when it does we could well be a force to reckon with. In my humble opinion, I think this overall squad is far stronger than last season's. Whether it's quite good enough to get us up, especially automatically, remains to be seen. PUP
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Selsey Bill wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:55 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:33 am
What did you think?
I never get too worked up about friendlies, especially as I think players tend to hold back a bit. That said, I thought we looked a little lacklustre last night.
For the first 15-20 minutes they hardly touched the ball. We must have had 85%. Passed the ball about neatly, played out from the back and bossed midfield, tried to penetrate their defence with Saydee and the loanee from Norwich trying some neat little moves that didn't quite come off. Their goal was completely against the run of play, with their number 10 (the impressive Ali Al-Hamadi) rinsing Towler down the right wing, cutting in and then crossing low and hard. Own goal off Stevenson, a bit fortuitous, but created by pace and confusion, something we lacked last night. Slightly concerning that this didn't cajole us straight into action, though we ended the half very strongly, forcing a couple of corners late on. We started the second half with Josh in goal and then proceeded to give everyone on the bench a run out, with the exception of Pack.
For what it is worth:
Norris - could do nothing about the goal, but hardly tested other than with that. Did appear very calm and collected though which bodes well.
Rafferty - captain's armband, but surprisingly didn't really lead during his first half appearance
Poole - really liked the look of him. Very commanding in defence, and keen to play out with the ball. Surprised he wasn't made captain in Pack's absence. Definitely an upgrade on Raggett.
Towler - played the full 90 which would indicate the starting position could be his? Generally very good, and again comfortanle with the ball at his feet. Did get skinned a couple of times by Al-Hamidi though which is a slight concern that I have put down to lack of fitness.
Ogilvie - did OK, took a couple of clattering tackles in his stride, tried hard to link up with Scully on a attack on a few occasions, but none of them quite came off.
Stevenson - played holding MF in Pack's place, played the full 90 minutes and looks like a great deputy for our club captain
Lowery - one of the most pleasing things about last night is that Tommy looks back to his best. Bossed midfield for much of the game, was replaced by Morrell late on. Suspect Morrell may still start ahead of him as don't see them both in the same starting eleven.
Whyte - one of the biggest disappointments for me last night, again though, will put it down to match fitness as showed some glimpses of quality
Kamara - our loanee from Norwich - has great feet, but is a little lightweight. Tried really hard, and could be a great impact player to bring on when legs are tired. Played the full 90.
Scully - looked good in parts, and shows great attacking threat. Things just didn't come off for him last night. Will improve with the team gelling
Saydee - he was a revelation - a definite contender for man of the match. Reminded me of Yakubu in stature, and should scare a few L1 defenders. Held the ball up very well, tracked back to help the defence, and not afraid to get stuck in. Could become a fan's favourite, and work well alongside the Bish.
Oluwemi - Josh played well, marking a smart couple of stops, and was greeted well by the Pompey fans which should do his confidence the world of good.
Swanson - I thought he looked better than Rafferty, sharper, quicker, more skillful. Our strongest position I'd say.
Shaughnessy - was quite impressive with his 20 odd minutes. Another good back up, and surely pushes Raggs back to 4th choice?
The other players not on long enough to give any opinion about.
All in all, a little disappointed, but not at all worried at this stage. Not quite gelling yet, but when it does we could well be a force to reckon with. In my humble opinion, I think this overall squad is far stronger than last season's. Whether it's quite good enough to get us up, especially automatically, remains to be seen. PUP
Cheers really interesting to read. A few of the players are a week or two behind fitness wise, and they seemed to be the ones who you say weren't quite at it last night (Whyte and Rafferty). Hopefully with another game, and a week and a half more training in them we head into the first game in good shape.

I get the impression Bishop has been wrapped up in cotton wool a bit this preseason.