Not the top 20 League one

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Not the top 20 League one

Post by jam tomorrow »

Worth a listen to if you can’t wait Pompey prediction 6th behind Charlton,Oxford, Blackpool Derby Bolton

Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times

Re: Not the top 20 League one

Post by Dinksy »

Most of the bookies have us as third favourites behind Derby and Bolton.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

I think the reason for Oxford and Charlton being placed so well is their high quality transfer dealings they called ours uninspired or words to that effect. The jury was still out on Mous although they wanted him to do well as he is well liked, they were full of admiration for Manning and if Oxford do well we may have wished we went for him? As we’ve said right from the start if Hughsie’s risky signings including Mous do well then we have got a good chance.The so called average signings need to show they are better than the pundits and critics think they are, a good marque creative attacking midfielder wouldn’t go a miss either!
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Moushino interview with snooze today was enlightening
His ambition is that we will be in the promotion “mix” rather than saying promotion as such is our target I think that’s being realistic with the squad we have not automatic promotion just a crack at the playoffs
He believes our strength is the fact we have 2 players challenging for every position not that we have a particularly strong first eleven or particular individual who will make us that playoff challenging team
And most interesting it should be days not weeks when he expects to bring in the next signing maybe not this week but by next week. I would hope this is that elusive attacking midfield player I think we need to chip in goals and assists from the centre of midfield rather than relying virtually solely on the 2 wingers
All in all I’m sorry that to me he really doesn’t inspire any confidence that we will be a real threat in this league this season
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

Come on then Pompey55 make a prediction, where in your opinion will we finish at the end of the season ?

I’m predict we will finish top 6 - if we get a quality attacking midfielder I may go 1 step further.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

As long as Bishop stays fit I think we could scrape into a playoff position I would be more confident if we have a creative central midfield player
My concern is without Bishop we would be on wing and a prayer hoping one of the other strikers are as good as Hughes and Moushino think
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mickemo »

That’s a fair appraisal, not dissimilar to my own view TBH. We have to keep Bishop and we need to hope he stays fit
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I think we will be in the promotion mix.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I may have mentioned that I have not been overly impressed by Pompey's dip into the transfer market which was billed as "a real go at promotion". I think that there is some good business done along with some steady League One standard business. I think bringing in Poole was very good as I think he is a top League One player, but let's not kid ourselves that we beat off a load of Championship clubs to sign him. A player at his age will be wanting to play at the highest level he can and would want to maximise his earnings. If there was genuinely a Championship option available I would think he wouldn't be here. Most of the rest are League One level or a gamble on potential. Aiming to be in 'the top six mix' is not a 'real go at promotion' in my veiw. Mr Eisner said before the summer that funds will be made available for a promotion tilt. I would think that more funds have been made available than in recent years as we have brought players in without inflating our 'competitive' budget with selling our best players. We have so far failed to bring in the players that we have been missing for years. Someone of genuine quality who can unlock defences but genuine quality generally cost money. I think that our summertime transfer policy has been one of quantity over quality. I would think the players that have been brought in will fit into Mousinho's mould more easily that those that have departed.

I would think that a top six finish is a fair assessment of where we stand. I think we have a squad capable of that in a league missing the big spending hitters with, consequently, this league being weaker than last season. Clubs like Barnsley haven't had the most inspiring recruitment summer so far. I am optimistic that we can achieve a play off place but I do think clubs like Stevenage & Leyton Orient will challenge.

On the other hand I am a football fan at the beginning of a new season where anything & everything is possible. Some of these 'average' players may well turn out to be gems and Mousinho could be up for a knighthood.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

I reckon we can win it.... :wink: :rofl
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

That was a really good thread to bring back for an airing at this time. Just reading through those views, including my own, it seems almost naive now reading some of them. I am surprised we have done so well just as many other people have been, including the bookies.

Thinking of our summer recruitment where I found it to be 'uninspiring' amongst some good signings. My vote was for Shaughnessy as player of the season because of the way he played and the really important goals he scored. Yet he was one of the 'uninspiring' players to me at the time when he was signed. Conversely I thought Whyte was a good signing and thought he could be our 'ace in the pack' which turned out to be one of the less successful signings. I wouldn't say I was overly concerned about Mousinho, although I thought he would make errors of judgement that was consistent with being on a learning curve. He had shown that he was capable the season before.

I thought that we would be starting the season with a better starting first team squad than the previous season. I also thought that as there were no big spenders in League One this season the the league was weaker at the top from the previous season and, with us improved, we could make the play offs. I saw Bolton, Oxford, Derby County, Peterborough, Barnsley and Leyton Orient as contenders at the top. I didn't expect us to be the best team in the league and finish top.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

I thought that Mousiinho was one helluva risk...

...shows what I know about football!
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mickemo »

Mickemo wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:28 pm
I’m predict we will finish top 6 - if we get a quality attacking midfielder I may go 1 step further.
We did get the AM, we kept Bishop too and we did go one step further ! 😀

See some of you on the common tomorrow afternoon

PUP!