Car Parking 5th August

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Car Parking 5th August

Post by Milton End »

Although I don't have a season ticket, I have one for the Bristol Rovers match on Saturday.

Normally, I would drive to Havant, park and catch the train to Fratton, But because of industrial action, there are no Southern trains at all to Fratton - Chichester to Porstmouth route - and also only one train per hour on South Western railway - the train from London.

Hence, i'm thinking of driving into to Porstmouth. But where to park?

Amongst those with experience of driving in for the match, any suggestions on parking would be welcome. Thank you.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Re: Car Parking 5th August

Post by PeteM »

Depends how early you're getting there I guess. If you're arriving before about 2pm, there is normally space on some of the side streets off Haslemere Road or Winter Road (Winter Road is the one with the Shepherd's Crook on the corner).

If you're arriving after 2, I've turned off Eastern Road a few times when it's been really busy, parked over in Baffins and walked in from there - probably around a 20 minute walk to the ground.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

We usually park on Bransbury Road next to the park down Eastney. Never not been able to get a space in about 15 years. It's probably about 20 minute walk as well. Usually stop in The Flagship on the way to get some Fish and Chips before the game as well.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Parking has become almost impossible unfortunately. I don't know if it is the same as last season where the St Mary's car park was off limits to football parking. The situation has been made more difficult where most of the side streets have resident permit parking only.

When there was the park and ride from Tipner it was much better and I hope they consider bringing that back in. Last season I used the bus or was dropped off.
Chicken_Fillery
Collins Mbesuma

Post by Chicken_Fillery »

Whenever we have driven, we have parked at Milton cross school. It is £6.00 a car and only five minutes from the ground.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:50 pm Parking has become almost impossible unfortunately. I don't know if it is the same as last season where the St Mary's car park was off limits to football parking. The situation has been made more difficult where most of the side streets have resident permit parking only.

When there was the park and ride from Tipner it was much better and I hope they consider bringing that back in. Last season I used the bus or was dropped off.
I've been going to games at Fratton Park by car (2.5 hours each way at shortlist) for over 30 years and we have never, ever ever had problems parking - granted we have walked through or round Milton Park but there is always parking on the Milton / Eastney boarder.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:59 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:50 pm Parking has become almost impossible unfortunately. I don't know if it is the same as last season where the St Mary's car park was off limits to football parking. The situation has been made more difficult where most of the side streets have resident permit parking only.

I've been going to games at Fratton Park by car (2.5 hours each way at shortlist) for over 30 years and we have never, ever ever had problems parking - granted we have walked through or round Milton Park but there is always parking on the Milton / Eastney boarder.

OK. It must be just us that has trouble finding a parking space then. That's apart from those people that we have met coming across the Gosport ferry who have had similar problems. It hasn't been made any easier by the fact that one of the people I go with cannot walk too far these days. We usually found somewhere over the South side of the ground but we have found this increasingly difficult for the reasons I mentioned.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Milton End »

Many thanks for the guidance....PUP
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Milton End wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:18 am Although I don't have a season ticket, I have one for the Bristol Rovers match on Saturday.

Normally, I would drive to Havant, park and catch the train to Fratton, But because of industrial action, there are no Southern trains at all to Fratton - Chichester to Porstmouth route - and also only one train per hour on South Western railway - the train from London.

Amongst those with experience of driving in for the match, any suggestions on parking would be welcome. Thank you.

How did you get on with your car parking? OK I hope, if you did where did you park?
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Milton End »

Blue Walter wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:32 pm
Milton End wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:18 am Although I don't have a season ticket, I have one for the Bristol Rovers match on Saturday.

How did you get on with your car parking? OK I hope, if you did where did you park?
Thanks for asking.

Eventually, I decided to meet some friends for lunch - just a sandwich - near Commercial Road so parked near there - Canal Walk area. I then walked to FP from there - dodging the very heavy showers on the way back.

Incidentally, I was pleased that I did not try to take the train. On my way back, I passed Fratton bridge station: there was a massive queue right across the bridge and then queuing down onto Goldsmith Avenue.

Given that there was only one train per hour, it must have been a long wait for some people....
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Milton End wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:42 am
Blue Walter wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:32 pm

Thanks for asking.

Eventually, I decided to meet some friends for lunch - just a sandwich - near Commercial Road so parked near there - Canal Walk area. I then walked to FP from there - dodging the very heavy showers on the way back.

Incidentally, I was pleased that I did not try to take the train. On my way back, I passed Fratton bridge station: there was a massive queue right across the bridge and then queuing down onto Goldsmith Avenue.

Given that there was only one train per hour, it must have been a long wait for some people....
I went by bus which is fine going but a bit of a bummer coming home. What annoys me is that they have the technology, on a shelter screen, to show that the bus is 4 minutes away and it is quiet and the next bus is 24 minutes away, also quiet. Only for the due bus not to arrive because its not actually running. This happened yesterday and the match before. Anyway I am glad you got there OK, but was it worth the effort?
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Chicken_Fillery wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:16 pm Whenever we have driven, we have parked at Milton cross school. It is £6.00 a car and only five minutes from the ground.
Reviving this thread as am going on Saturday. Does anyone know what time Milton Cross opens for parking and how quickly it fills up?
Super Matt Macey in goal...
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Or street park on Moorings Way, and have a swift half in the Good Companion before the match.