Pompey Team v Orient

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Re: Pompey Team v Orient

Post by Mickemo »

Whatever team plus subs JM puts out its very clear we have real competition in all areas of the pitch - I think the only change from last Sat will be Saydee in for Lowery.

Can’t wait and hopeful for a decent performance and win (1-2)
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:13 pm My team would be:

Norris
Rafferty Poole Shaughnessy Ogilvie
Pack Morrell
Saydee
Kamara Bishop Scully

Subs Schofield, Towler, Yengi, Whyte, Stevenson, Sparkes, Robertson

I have gone with Shaughnessy but could equally have gone with Raggett or even Towler to be fair. I suspect Shaughnessy or Raggett will play to give some height in defence given that Orient have Piggott in their team.

Lowery is out and I think Saydee starts to link up play and Robertson is on the bench whilst he builds up fitness and understanding. Again I could have gone the other way around and brought on Saydee on 60mins for Robertson to bully a tiring defence. Either way around works for me. Kamara is in form on the right side over Whyte who is out of form. Stevenson is on the bench over Devlin as the more ready replacement for Pack or Morrell.

Raggett, Devlin and Swanson unlucky to be outside of the match squad. Lowery out injured and Hume being ushered to the exit. This is the strength in depth that Pompey have accumulated this off-season.
Based on Tuesday I would say on those performances them Raggett would get the nod ahead of Shaughnessy in my opinion
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Pompey55 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:54 pm

Norris
Pack Morrell
Saydee
Kamara Bishop Scully

I have gone with Shaughnessy but could equally have gone with Raggett or even Towler to be fair. I suspect Shaughnessy or Raggett will play to give some height in defence given that Orient have Piggott in their team.

Lowery is out and I think Saydee starts to link up play and Robertson is on the bench whilst he builds up fitness and understanding. Again I could have gone the other way around and brought on Saydee on 60mins for Robertson to bully a tiring defence. Either way around works for me. Kamara is in form on the right side over Whyte who is out of form. Stevenson is on the bench over Devlin as the more ready replacement for Pack or Morrell.

Raggett, Devlin and Swanson unlucky to be outside of the match squad. Lowery out injured and Hume being ushered to the exit. This is the strength in depth that Pompey have accumulated this off-season.
Based on Tuesday I would say on those performances them Raggett would get the nod ahead of Shaughnessy in my opinion
I'd be happy with Raggett in defence alongside Poole.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:09 am
Pompey55 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:54 pm

Norris
Pack Morrell
Saydee
Kamara Bishop Scully

I'd be happy with Raggett in defence alongside Poole.
Have you been worrying about this all night, Jack? :D
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Hope the lads start on the front foot today instead of waiting until we are a goal down PUP
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Actual Team who got this right not me?

Pompey: Norris; Rafferty, Poole, Shaughnessy, Ogilvie; Pack (c), Morrell; Whyte, Saydee, Kamara; Bishop

Subs: Schofield, Raggett, Sparkes, Devlin, Robertson, Scully, Yengi
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

jam tomorrow wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:06 pm Actual Team who got this right not me?

Pompey: Norris; Rafferty, Poole, Shaughnessy, Ogilvie; Pack (c), Morrell; Whyte, Saydee, Kamara; Bishop

Subs: Schofield, Raggett, Sparkes, Devlin, Robertson, Scully, Yengi
Mous got it right... so far.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Currently 4-0 Pompey. Wow.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Well that was a brilliant result. Didn't see any of it but sounds like the team is gelling well. Anyone have a first hand experience of the game?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:17 pm Well that was a brilliant result. Didn't see any of it but sounds like the team is gelling well. Anyone have a first hand experience of the game?
We went and although it took a while for the team to settle after the first goal there was only going to be one winner the use of Saydee behind Bishop certainly looks the way to go as his physical presence upset their defence although Robertson showed good touch as a less physical option it was disappointing however than he picked up an unnecessary booking for a show of petulance when penalised
The 2 man holding midfield looks right with Pack and Morrell both having their best games to a whole maybe Lowery getting injured has forced Moushinos hand
I was surprised at the half time change of Scully for Kamara in still not convinced it improved things
At the end it could easily been more than 4 as their heads dropped after the own goal extended our lead
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Pompey55 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:10 am
Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:17 pm Well that was a brilliant result. Didn't see any of it but sounds like the team is gelling well. Anyone have a first hand experience of the game?
We went and although it took a while for the team to settle after the first goal there was only going to be one winner the use of Saydee behind Bishop certainly looks the way to go as his physical presence upset their defence although Robertson showed good touch as a less physical option it was disappointing however than he picked up an unnecessary booking for a show of petulance when penalised
The 2 man holding midfield looks right with Pack and Morrell both having their best games to a whole maybe Lowery getting injured has forced Moushinos hand
I was surprised at the half time change of Scully for Kamara in still not convinced it improved things
At the end it could easily been more than 4 as their heads dropped after the own goal extended our lead
Thanks for the info 55 I think JM took Kamara off at half time because he wasn’t up to the pace of the game that was my understanding but could be wrong ? In terms of Lowery be interesting when he comes back whether he still gets in the team same with Paddy Lane ? It does give us some options to fall back on in case of injuries, did Whyte have a better game today?
-- Diane Johnson
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

jam tomorrow wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:19 am
Thanks for the info 55 I think JM took Kamara off at half time because he wasn’t up to the pace of the game that was my understanding but could be wrong ? In terms of Lowery be interesting when he comes back whether he still gets in the team same with Paddy Lane ? It does give us some options to fall back on in case of injuries, did Whyte have a better game today?
Mousinho's gave the reason for Kamara's withdrawal in an interviw after the match. He said that Kamara had played the full 90 minutes on Tuesday evening and he is only 20.

As JT said above, Kamara therefore was no longer up to the pace of the game - nothing deeper.

Incidentally, probably irrelevant, but I was thinking about Ronan Curtis during the game. Early days, but we appear to have a strong side now. I'm not sure that we miss him?

[Don't get me wrong: like everyone else, I wish him all the best in his continuing return to fitness.]
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

I thought he was better but still not sure about him
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Pompey55 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:42 am
I thought he was better but still not sure about him
According to one report I read he was MoM!! Can't see it myself...bit of a nondescript but hope he comes good.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I was at the game yesterday with two of my sons, and a proper away day it was too! Our fans were fantastic from start to finish, whilst theirs looked shell-shocked. I have a client who is an Orient fan, and he thought they were going to surprise a few teams in this league, having run away with L2 last season. He's now worried after two games!
There was so much to like about yesterday that I am not sure where to start. From the moment the first whistle went we were in total control. I was delighted to see Shaughnessy starting alongside Poole as I was completely shocked he wasn't even in the starting eleven against Rovers last weekend. He is so superior to Towler and Raggett and that CB pairing should be the go to choice. Ogilvie and Rafferty both had much better games yesterday with the latter being responsible for assisting the opening two goals. His cross for Bishop's goal was inch perfect. On that subject, I felt that was a really important goal for Colby to get him him off the mark. Yet again, he led the line brilliantly. Pack had his best game for us for a very long time. He seemed up for it from the get go - even egging our fans on a few times. His goal was a very well taken one from a good Rafferty corner. Morrell played well alongside Pack, and he definitely seems to have learned to control his petulance as he had a couple of one on ones where you could see him just backing off a little. Long may that continue, though I fear leopards and all that. Saydee probably had his worst game for us, but he is still one hell of a handful. I'd like to see him playing a little higher up the pitch as he was sat quite deep yesterday. Having played so well in previous games, I was disappointed by Kamara yesterday, and it was a good move for Mous to sub him at HT. He may have been knackered, but I think his underperforming was as much to do with being played on the left as him being tired. In previous games he has been on the right side. Whyte is improving with every game, and yesterday was his best performance to date for us. I don't think he is fully up to speed yet, but that once he is we will see a far better player. I've said all I need to about Bishop. Reading some fans on social media earlier in the week suggesting dropping him is utter insanity. He is one of, if not, the best striker in our league. With regards to the subs, Scully replaced the slightly off Kamara, and did fine. I suspect he will now start on Tuesday. Robertson replaced Saydee on the hour mark so I got a good chance to take a good look at him. He is some player. I'm more excited about him than anyone else going forward. Watching him live was an eye-opener. His movement off the ball was incredible, and he will make a huge difference to us going forwards. He is a different ball game to the likes of Azeez and Scarlett, and a far superior player to Ben Thompson who so many of us Pompey fans wet ourselves over. He is also unlikely to be recalled by City in January. I expect him to get both goals and assists for us. Whyte was then replaced by Sparkes who does look very lively, excuse the pun! Bishop was then replaced by Yengi who is already a fans' favourite. Couldn't believe how many Australian flags and blow up kangaroos were brought along by our supporters. I can't believe the referee deliberated so long over giving the penalty, it was probably the most blatant one I've ever witnessed live. I actually think it was the linesman who eventually told him to give it. Anyway, when he scored, his celebrations were pure quality. Final substitution late on was Raggett for Morrell with Shaughnessy moving to midfield where, incidentally, he looked equally at home as at CB. His versatility will be an added bonus this season. Joe Piggott looked lost up front for them, but good to see our fans giving him a bigger round of applause than theirs when he was subbed. My player of the match yesterday was Poole, again! He is a Rolls Royce of a defender and I'm still staggered that we managed to get him to sign for us. He should definitely be playing at a higher level. Finally, I have to give a mention to the Gaffer who has been my player of the season so far. His management of each game has been spot on so far, making the right decisions at the right time. Long may it continue. PS. The last time I watched Pompey win 4-0 away live was against Colchester United in March 2017 and we all know what happened at the end of that season :wink: PUP