Your Team vs Exeter

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Your Team vs Exeter

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I think Mous will only make one change from the team that started vs Orient with Scully coming in for Kamara on the left wing.

I suspect that Sparkes will be desperate to get on and play given Exeter let him go in the off-season.

My team:

Norris,
Rafferty
Poole
Shaughnessy
Oglivie
Pack
Morell
Saydee
Whyte
Scully
Bishop

Subs: Schofield, Raggett, Sparkes, Devlin, Robertson, Kamara, Yengi,
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: Your Team vs Exeter

Post by Selsey Bill »

You could be spot on with that starting eleven. The big question for me is will Pack be able to play three games in a week? I'm not convinced, so either tomorrow, or more likely Saturday as the game looks easier on paper, he could start Ben Stevenson. I'd also like to see Swanson on the bench, along with Towler instead of Raggett.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Selsey Bill wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:22 am You could be spot on with that starting eleven. The big question for me is will Pack be able to play three games in a week? I'm not convinced, so either tomorrow, or more likely Saturday as the game looks easier on paper, he could start Ben Stevenson. I'd also like to see Swanson on the bench, along with Towler instead of Raggett.
interesting thought about Ben Stevenson. I could see that definitely happening.

There is the first of the Pizza Cup games on Tuesday 22nd: indeed Pompey play Saturday - Tuesday - Saturday now for the next three weeks, so I am expecting to see some squad rotation. As has been pointed out there is a run of tough games in September against expected promotion rival teams so getting your key players fit and in form for those games is going to be something you'd think Mousinho will have one eye on too.

I am expecting Robertson to get his first start vs Cheltenham as he will have had about two weeks training with Pompey by then. You'd think Saydee is the one who makes way to accommodate him but Saydee looks like a difficult player to drop right now. Perhaps he goes to the bench vs Cheltenham and then comes back in vs Fulham U21s with Yengi up front instead of Bishop. I am loving the options and strength in depth this squad has! Lane may be able to play 60mins or so vs Fulham next week too with a fair wind.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Exeter have only sold 500 tickets apparently. They normally bring three times that figure. School Holidays, match live on Sky maybe the reasons why?
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:25 am Exeter have only sold 500 tickets apparently. They normally bring three times that figure. School Holidays, match live on Sky maybe the reasons why?
Live on Sky will definitely have an effect, with our supporters as well. I know one or two season ticket holders who live a bit of a way away who are going to stay home and watch it on TV
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Selsey Bill wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:22 am You could be spot on with that starting eleven. The big question for me is will Pack be able to play three games in a week? I'm not convinced, so either tomorrow, or more likely Saturday as the game looks easier on paper, he could start Ben Stevenson. I'd also like to see Swanson on the bench, along with Towler instead of Raggett.
The question is Bill who is the best replacement for Pack is it Stevenson, Devlin or do we push Shaughnessy up in that role and bring in Raggett or Towler? Or do we bring in another good loan Premiership Midfielder as a Pack replacement rather than compromise our performance?
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

I wouldn't disagree with that team Jack.

The excellent thing about this squad is that there appears to be real competition for places across the pitch, so we could potentially make four or five changes to freshen things up when the fixture congestion bites a little more without weakening the side very much, if at all.

Should also help to keep our standards high as players know that if they don't perform, they won't keep the shirt for the following game.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

jam tomorrow wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:13 am
The question is Bill who is the best replacement for Pack is it Stevenson, Devlin or do we push Shaughnessy up in that role and bring in Raggett or Towler? Or do we bring in another good loan Premiership Midfielder as a Pack replacement rather than compromise our performance?
If possible, I'd leave our CB pairing as it is. I don't trust Raggett, and Towler is woefully out of form. From what I have seen of Stevenson, he will be fine stepping in and I'd play him ahead of Devlin in Pack's role as I see Devlin as more of an attacking midfielder. Personally, I wouldn't bring in another loan player at the moment. The current squad feels very well balanced, and an additional loan will only create more selection headaches for Mous.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

I think rather than make changes the team that started Saturday should start again. Rather than disrupt things a bit of continuation would be fine. Our bench is so strong as has proved in the 1st 2 league games.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Mousinho was mentioning in his pre-game interview that he wants to rotate the squad and mentioned that he made 10 changes the previous Tuesday. He went on to say he wanted to manage minutes and had a squad of players who all deserve some playing time.

Surely he cannot be thinking of making substantial changes for the Exeter game? This must be a bluff and mind games to keep Exeter off guard.

It will be interesting to see how many changes Mousinho makes. I had thought that Kamara would take a breather in this game since he came off at halftime vs Orient because of the amount of running he had completed vs Forest Green and then again in the first half vs Orient he started to look 'leggy' and I can see that Robertson and even Yengi could be pushing hard for a start but up to 10 changes for a league game vs Exeter seems extremely unlikely to me. We'll see.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

One thing for sure he will keep his defence you don’t go changing things there when you’ve had a clean sheet. I can see the only change being Scully starts instead of Kamara. I think Robertson will come on at some stage maybe to replace Saydee. What I like about Saydee though is he doesn’t get pushed around and he beefs up our midfield
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Setting off for the game soon. Hopefully not too much bl**dy traffic, and fingers crossed for a repeat of the level of our performance on Saturday, though I think Exeter could be a tough nut to crack. PUP
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Actual Team shows two changes Robertson for Saydee & Scully for Kamara
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham