England in World Cup Final

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

England in World Cup Final

Post by New Forester »

My, how the standard of play has improved. Let’s hope they go the whole way now.

Err, did I ever mention I was there in 1966. πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 61 times

Re: England in World Cup Final

Post by GreenBlue »

New Forester wrote: ↑Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:37 pm Err, did I ever mention I was there in 1966. πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
No NF. Really? I'm sure you have never mentioned that before. πŸ˜‰

...but well worth repeating.
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

I’m guessing you haven’t got a ticket for this one!

Glad someone has at least acknowledged the achievement on here.

I watched the last half hour and thought England played really well.

Here’s hoping for Sunday.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

I also only saw the last 30mins and thought England played it really well. And I agree, the standard has improved considerably - fingers crossed for Sunday.
I wonder how the manager would get on in the men's game?
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

New Forester wrote: ↑Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:37 pm My, how the standard of play has improved. Let’s hope they go the whole way now.

Err, did I ever mention I was there in 1966. πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
Me too, not for the Final, but for two matches in the Group Stages. The opening game against Uruguay and also against France.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Hey, party-pooper here! I agree about the standard improving but the women's game is a world away from the level of the men's in almost every respect - technique, athleticism, tactics, pace....etc - so I cannot get on board with all the hype and the ridiculous comparison with the achievement of '66. I hope they do well on Sunday and it will, not doubt, boost the women's game but, although the quality is improving, it's still just the women's game.
Sawbo Blue
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Sawbo Blue »

As the saying goes, comparison is the thief of joy. And in this case, in my view, irrelevant.

Enjoy and celebrate for what it is, a fantastic achievement in a sport that is advancing at an astonishing rate. The goals England scored were technically excellent and would grace any semi final of any top class tournament.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Dinksy wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:41 am Hey, party-pooper here! I agree about the standard improving but the women's game is a world away from the level of the men's in almost every respect - technique, athleticism, tactics, pace....etc - so I cannot get on board with all the hype and the ridiculous comparison with the achievement of '66. I hope they do well on Sunday and it will, not doubt, boost the women's game but, although the quality is improving, it's still just the women's game.
why is it a rediculous comaprison??
if as you say they ladies arent all at the standard of the men, it means that all the teams are not at the standard, which means a level playing field which means beating everyone to get to a WORLD CUP FINAL is an achievement much as the men getting there in 66 was

maybe they should all be back in the kitchen eh Dinksy
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

I watched the whole game and it was good to watch. The defending leaves a lot to be desired though, particularly by Australia, but a great achievement overall. I think we have enough to beat Spain in the final.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:22 am
Dinksy wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:41 am Hey, party-pooper here! I agree about the standard improving but the women's game is a world away from the level of the men's in almost every respect - technique, athleticism, tactics, pace....etc - so I cannot get on board with all the hype and the ridiculous comparison with the achievement of '66. I hope they do well on Sunday and it will, not doubt, boost the women's game but, although the quality is improving, it's still just the women's game.
if as you say they ladies arent all at the standard of the men, it means that all the teams are not at the standard, which means a level playing field which means beating everyone to get to a WORLD CUP FINAL is an achievement much as the men getting there in 66 was

Ha, ha! Nice one PB2 - although very predictable! But seriously, getting back to the issue. Yours is a fair point that THEIR achievement is as great an achievement for them as the men's was for the men but because the quality level is so far apart, you cannot cross over and compare like for like. So for me, comparison with '66 is an insult to the players who reached the highest achievement the sport of football has to offer.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I am going to be in Barcelona when England play in the final. Should be interesting because I will proudly wear my England shirt, hopefully I may be able to come home.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Dinksy wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:49 am

Ha, ha! Nice one PB2 - although very predictable! But seriously, getting back to the issue. Yours is a fair point that THEIR achievement is as great an achievement for them as the men's was for the men but because the quality level is so far apart, you cannot cross over and compare like for like. So for me, comparison with '66 is an insult to the players who reached the highest achievement the sport of football has to offer.
but is not the world cup final the highest achievement the sport has to offer for women too?? is there something higher than that ?? i wasnt aware of any other football competions higher than the world cup??

All you are basically saying Dinksy is that women are crap at football so dont even mention them in the same sentance as men ??
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:23 am

but is not the world cup final the highest achievement the sport has to offer for women too?? is there something higher than that ?? i wasnt aware of any other football competions higher than the world cup??

All you are basically saying Dinksy is that women are crap at football so dont even mention them in the same sentance as men ??
Aww! I thought we were actually going to have an intelligent, rational exchange of views there but it seems you're just not up to it or simply prefer to go on the wind up which is boring. Shame, but I blame myself for giving you a bit of credit. What was I thinking?!
Where I CAN give you credit is with bringing a smile to my face with your earlier spelling of 'ridiculous' ("rediculous") and 'comparison' ("coma-prison"!) in the earlier post. Made my day. Thank you.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

β€œ As the saying goes, comparison is the thief of joy. And in this case, in my view, irrelevant.”

I must tuck that away.

Victoria Pendleton could never beat Chris Hoy. But I got as much joy watching her win Olympic Gold as I did when watching Chris.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Dinksy wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:54 am
Portchesterblue2 wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:23 am

Aww! I thought we were actually going to have an intelligent, rational exchange of views there but it seems you're just not up to it or simply prefer to go on the wind up which is boring. Shame, but I blame myself for giving you a bit of credit. What was I thinking?!
Where I CAN give you credit is with bringing a smile to my face with your earlier spelling of 'ridiculous' ("rediculous") and 'comparison' ("coma-prison"!) in the earlier post. Made my day. Thank you.
ooooh spelling police, apologies Dinksy
"but is not the world cup final the highest achievement the sport has to offer for women too?? is there something higher than that ?? i wasn't aware of any other football competitions higher than the world cup??"

is this not a discussion point, please tell me why the women's world cup is not the highest achievement of the women's game, that's what your post alluded to so I am keen to understand why you think it isn't
made sure i spell checked too just for you