England vs Ukraine - Why why why... Maguire?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 36 times

Re: England vs Ukraine - Why why why... Maguire?

Post by Betelgeuse »

It's not my job to pick a national team manager, but Southgate has had his turn.

Managers who are doing pretty well....Jackett, Cowley?
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:20 am It's not my job to pick a national team manager, but Southgate has had his turn.

Managers who are doing pretty well....Jackett, Cowley?
Got it!!! You are really Joe Biden and I claim my prize! :smt005
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I don't see replacing Southgate as necessary as his record is good. Reaching the Euro Final and the very real prospect of qualification for the World Cup is not a sackable offence in my veiw.

What I find disappointing is that I believe we could do so much better with the players at our disposable. We have several World class players with more players close to joining that group. We could field two teams of emerging talent to give anyone a game and this present group of players are the best this country has produced in a long time. We have players that other countries would love to have in their teams but we seem so reluctant to open up opponents using the talent our players possess. Almost as if Kenny Jackett was in charge. Saturday's game was a fine example of that where our team was clearly far superior to the Ukraine team but we relied on this endless passing in an effort to open them up. In Bellingham we have a player that I believe will become the best player in the world. I would love to see him encouraged to showcase his skills in the central midfield position with players like Sako and Rashford raiding down the wings. That would scare the pants off most teams.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Blue Walter wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:27 am I don't see replacing Southgate as necessary as his record is good. Reaching the Euro Final and the very real prospect of qualification for the World Cup is not a sackable offence in my veiw.

What I find disappointing is that I believe we could do so much better with the players at our disposable. We have several World class players with more players close to joining that group. We could field two teams of emerging talent to give anyone a game and this present group of players are the best this country has produced in a long time. We have players that other countries would love to have in their teams but we seem so reluctant to open up opponents using the talent our players possess. Almost as if Kenny Jackett was in charge. Saturday's game was a fine example of that where our team was clearly far superior to the Ukraine team but we relied on this endless passing in an effort to open them up. In Bellingham we have a player that I believe will become the best player in the world. I would love to see him encouraged to showcase his skills in the central midfield position with players like Sako and Rashford raiding down the wings. That would scare the pants off most teams.
[/quote
Haven't you just given the very reason for replacing him BW?
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:43 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:27 am I don't see replacing Southgate as necessary as his record is good. Reaching the Euro Final and the very real prospect of qualification for the World Cup is not a sackable offence in my veiw.

[/quote
Haven't you just given the very reason for replacing him BW?
No, but like I say I think we could do better with the players we have. I will leave it to you to sack all managers.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

I think we could and should be doing better with a better manager.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:08 pm I think we could and should be doing better with a better manager.
Easy to say that, on paper Eriksson & Capello should've delivered far more. The former had "the golden generation" but was seemingly more interested in...ahem...fringe benefits @ the FA.
I have reservations about Southgate & his lack of killer instinct, but the obvious question is replace him with who? And if they're in a job would they come if the call came in?
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:49 pm More importantly, you can sing why, why, why Maguire to the tune of My, my, my Delilah
thatsthejoke.jpg
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Maguire with an own goal. Lol.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Sam_Brown wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:11 pm Maguire with an own goal. Lol.
Which could have happened to anybody under the circumstances. Why Lol? The guy has never let England down and had another good game tonight. Cut the guy some slack ffs!!
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

eltorrro wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:43 pm
Which could have happened to anybody under the circumstances. Why Lol? The guy has never let England down and had another good game tonight. Cut the guy some slack ffs!!
Because he’s the unluckiest player I’ve ever seen in an England shirt.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

With England 'supporters' like this, who needs the Scots' vitriol?