Booing the English National Anthem

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 36 times

Re: Booing the English National Anthem

Post by Betelgeuse »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:28 am
Blue Walter wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:09 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:02 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:07 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:29 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:36 am I wondered what the thoughts of people on this board were of
Scottish supporters drowning out the English National Anthem with booing and derision.

I was reading an article concerning this issue and some Scots seem to be saying that the booing wasn't all to do with just plain hatred. There are two things that particularly annoy the Scots about the 'English' National Anthem. One is the wording in the second verse that, they claim, is concerning victory by the English over the Scots. The other reason is that 'God Save the King' is the British National Anthem and, therefore, can not be the English Anthem. They see that using this Anthem as an English National Anthem is another sign of 'English arrogance' by assuming that being British is the same as being English. Then, of course, the King is their monarch as well, not just the English.

Please note that I am passing on the views that were stated in the article I was reading and that they are not particularly my views. However, I do have my own views on the subject that are not that far removed from the Scottish veiw point. Firstly I think most of the booing was basically down to hatred to a certain point. They see this game, England v Scotland as their local derby, theirs and our version of Pompey against Southampton. That on it's own ramps up the atmosphere and importance of winning this game. Obviously there is a lot of support for Scottish independence up there and they see the English as an occupying force holding them against their will, which fuels anti English feelings. But I do agree with them concerning our National Anthem and I believe it should be changed to an English prospective. I would prefer to hear something more uplifting that mentions England in the lyrics.
but surely the "hatred" is based on the fact that the english King isnt their King, so saying that its a British national anthem is counter intuitive ??
if their chosen anthem is all about beating the english and remaining scottish, then moaning the English use a British anthem is all wrong?

I am half scottish, so have suffered some "banter" from relatives and locals when i have been up there

No, that's the basis of their argument. They are saying that the King is the King of the United Kingdom not just England. They are also saying that the British National Anthem is a celebration of defeating the Scots by the English.

Personally I think the booing had more to with the dislike of the English nation rather than song choices. Possibly the Anthem itself may have had something to do with it but, in my opinion, it is more to do with Scottish nationalism and anti English opinion.
I think you are right Walter, and as a half scot, I say give them independence and watch them founder hopelessly for a while. their economy wouldnt sustain the nation, but hey they want it
Actually I think that both England and Scotland would survive and, perhaps, thrive outside of the Union. I think when you look back over history it shows that the Scots have provided more to the success of Britain per capita than the rest of the United Kingdom. So I can see them making a success of independence but with a much lower imput on the world stage. England & Wales, on the other hand, would maintain its position on the world stage. I believe it is only a matter of time before Northern Ireland will join Southern Ireland and become a single state, which is quite ironic because the Loyalist of Ulster are the most fervent at being British. Also Loyalist rootes are imbedded in Scottish ancestry after it became Scotlands overseas territory when it was annexed under Scottish rule.

I hope it doesn't happen because we have come such a long way together. Generally it is seen that Scotland was invaded by England and had the Union imposed on them, that's what many Americans think. They don't realise it wad the other way round and James the 6th of Scotland took the English throne, legally by birth right, and made it his 'United Kingdom' and became James the 1st of England.
Unfortunately for them the oils nearly all gone and that is the basis that they have been providing money to the union. Once that's taken away they are floundering for other sources of national income.
their independence has been hampered severely by Sturgeon being a complete fool and just focusing on being independent rather than the how's and whys behind it. She was once asked what currency they would use, and she said the GBP, to which she was told by the bank of England and the government, no you cant use that, her reply was oh we will it will be ok.
Unfortunately for those scots who do want it, she "Scotched" that for them
Sturgeon is what we say in Pompey "A ****** din."