Derby Away

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Re: Derby Away

Post by NSRailings »

We're an extra Saydee away from being a top squad. We had a positive attitude today :thumb
Super Matt Macey in goal...
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

NSRailings wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:40 pm We're an extra Saydee away from being a top squad. We had a positive attitude today :thumb
You could be right but can't see anything in Whyte and thought Lane was pretty ineffective today.

What I did see was how much Anjorin needs more time to get acclimatised to lge 1. Thought he looked like a rabbit in the headlights and not into it at all. Lets hope he comes good.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Was it even a penalty?
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:02 pm Was it even a penalty?
Well the ball did hit his arm which was raised and not in a 'natural' position (wherever that would have been at the time?) and he wasn't looking at the ball or aware of it's flight.
I think most refs would have given it because they really like the attention it aims towards them.

In my day it would not have been a penalty but in todays format...yes it was!!
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

eltorrro wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:33 pm
Well the ball did hit his arm which was raised and not in a 'natural' position (wherever that would have been at the time?) and he wasn't looking at the ball or aware of it's flight.
I think most refs would have given it because they really like the attention it aims towards them.

In my day it would not have been a penalty but in todays format...yes it was!!
From where I was stood it looked very harsh.

Absolutely hit his arm, but what else was he meant to do?!

Good performance today, losing would have been a crime, but we should have had a couple before going behind.
NSRailings
Alan Knight

Post by NSRailings »

These days, yes. But I think the recent rules have been introduced because of the amount of cheating/gamesmanship that's come into the game. The players need to clean up their act - particularly in the Prem and other higher leagues. Although asking for honesty in a league that's been corrupted by money is probably asking too much unfortunately.

Anyway, am encouraged by today. Looking forward to Tuesday. Fingers crossed Saydee isn't long term.
PompeyExpat
Robbie Pethick
Been liked: 1 time

Post by PompeyExpat »

Great to see we didn’t give up and managed to get a point. My only worry is that we still are not putting away our chances.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Quick back from the game.

Derby were poor, really poor. We played well but didn't really do enough to trouble their keeper, especially in the first half.

As the game went in it was becoming clearer that Derby would likely only score from a Pompey mistake or some weasly goal. Derby's brightest moments nearly all came from Pompey mistakes e.g. giving the ball away.

We looked in control for most of the match but we really need to put teams away when on top. I'd have like to have seen use take a few shots from range on occasions.

The players were really up for it, and they let out a lot of emotion when we equalised Norris running over to celebrate in front of the away fans.

The signs are promising but we do need to take our chances. Tuesday is a big game, the winner can go top of the league but we have absolutely nothing to fear.
NSRailings
Alan Knight

Post by NSRailings »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:43 pm but we have absolutely nothing to fear.
Exactly. That needs to be said in training etc. Mousinho has been more vocal about stepping things up this season and belief/ambition needs to be emphasized. I think Mousinho is finding his feet 👍

JM was a defender, so I wonder whether it's taken some time to think in a more attacking way. Not a criticism.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

eltorrro wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:25 pm Whyte??? What does he bring?
Just got home and the simple answer based on today f all who the hell thinks that he is a number 8 it didn’t work at Stevenage and it didn’t work today
Moushino is trying to prove a point as why else was he not substituted at some point rather than others
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Yes but a soft one if it was handball then it’s a red card so take what you want from that decision ref was inconsistent and rubbish
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:43 pm Quick back from the game.

Derby were poor, really poor. We played well but didn't really do enough to trouble their keeper, especially in the first half.

As the game went in it was becoming clearer that Derby would likely only score from a Pompey mistake or some weasly goal. Derby's brightest moments nearly all came from Pompey mistakes e.g. giving the ball away.

We looked in control for most of the match but we really need to put teams away when on top. I'd have like to have seen use take a few shots from range on occasions.

The players were really up for it, and they let out a lot of emotion when we equalised Norris running over to celebrate in front of the away fans.

The signs are promising but we do need to take our chances. Tuesday is a big game, the winner can go top of the league but we have absolutely nothing to fear.
We came away disappointed that on the balance of play we should have won just the same old problem no creativity
Also yet again Robertson let himself down he wins a free kick and gets booked for the 5th time for being petulant someone needs to speak to him he’s no good playing games with a red card looming
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

I think the red card only applies if it is deemed ‘deliberate handball’, which was the old rule for any handball.

Similarly I think the red card for a foul in the box is only for clearly deliberate, not a genuine attempt to win the ball.

I’m happy to be corrected if someone knows better.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

eltorrro wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:55 pm
NSRailings wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:40 pm We're an extra Saydee away from being a top squad. We had a positive attitude today :thumb
You could be right but can't see anything in Whyte and thought Lane was pretty ineffective today.

What I did see was how much Anjorin needs more time to get acclimatised to lge 1. Thought he looked like a rabbit in the headlights and not into it at all. Lets hope he comes good.
Maybe play him instead of Whyte for a while if Saydee is not available can’t be any worse
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Rjk66 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:54 pm All over them, then give a penalty away. Normal service will be resumed in the negativity forum.
Not at all we should have won all in all a good day out just spoiled by the referee