Derby Away

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: Derby Away

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:44 pm
eltorrro wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:55 pm
NSRailings wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:40 pm We're an extra Saydee away from being a top squad. We had a positive attitude today :thumb
You could be right but can't see anything in Whyte and thought Lane was pretty ineffective today.

What I did see was how much Anjorin needs more time to get acclimatised to lge 1. Thought he looked like a rabbit in the headlights and not into it at all. Lets hope he comes good.
Maybe play him instead of Whyte for a while if Saydee is not available can’t be any worse
Personally I thought Whyte offered more than Lane yesterday who, always seemed to be on his heels.

Swanson was very good for large parts of the match, but he did give the ball away a few times especially in the the first half, which is where so of derby's more dangerous moments came from.

Robertson playing on central midfield offered a lot, and showed the value of having someone a little more forward thinking alongside one of Pack or Morrell.

Judging from what I have seen elsewhere I must be in the minority as I didn't think Tino did much at all when he came on, but it is very very early days for him.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:25 pm
NSRailings wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:40 pm We're an extra Saydee away from being a top squad. We had a positive attitude today :thumb
You could be right but can't see anything in Whyte and thought Lane was pretty ineffective today.

What I did see was how much Anjorin needs more time to get acclimatised to lge 1. Thought he looked like a rabbit in the headlights and not into it at all. Lets hope he comes good.
Maybe play him instead of Whyte for a while if Saydee is not available can’t be any worse
Personally I thought Whyte offered more than Lane yesterday who, always seemed to be on his heels.

Swanson was very good for large parts of the match, but he did give the ball away a few times especially in the the first half, which is where so of derby's more dangerous moments came from.

Robertson playing on central midfield offered a lot, and showed the value of having someone a little more forward thinking alongside one of Pack or Morrell.

Judging from what I have seen elsewhere I must be in the minority as I didn't think Tino did much at all when he came on, but it is very very early days for him.
I agree with you regarding Tino but he will need time to adapt to the pace of the game at our level
With Robertson he is undoubtedly talented but must stop picking up silly bookings that was number 5 yesterday already this season nearly all needless as I thought he had won the free kick so must have said something stupid
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:11 pm

I agree with you regarding Tino but he will need time to adapt to the pace of the game at our level
With Robertson he is undoubtedly talented but must stop picking up silly bookings that was number 5 yesterday already this season nearly all needless as I thought he had won the free kick so must have said something stupid

He was fouled, he waved a yellow. Which it probably should have been. I think it was also their player who had already been booked..
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:13 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:11 pm

He was fouled, he waved a yellow. Which it probably should have been. I think it was also their player who had already been booked..
There player was on a booking and they subbed him at halftime
But now days with the strict interpretation of the rules waving a card gesture to the ref is certainly going to end up with getting himself booked for ungentlemanly conduct so it was a bit silly
PompeyinAnjou
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by PompeyinAnjou »

It is about time Devlin got a chance. In his cameo yesterday he could/should have scored with a header and made an intelligent run to flick the ball on for the equalizer. I like the lad's energy and desire and would prefer him getting minutes to Yellow Card Robertson and Champions League Anjorin.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

ExHGS1973 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:46 pm It is about time Devlin got a chance. In his cameo yesterday he could/should have scored with a header and made an intelligent run to flick the ball on for the equalizer. I like the lad's energy and desire and would prefer him getting minutes to Yellow Card Robertson and Champions League Anjorin.
I would agree we saw him in the game against Fulham in the EFL trophy and he scored a good goal and looked good throughout
Unfortunately I’d guess the other 2 might need to play a percentage of games or we lose them in January
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:11 pm
ExHGS1973 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:46 pm It is about time Devlin got a chance. In his cameo yesterday he could/should have scored with a header and made an intelligent run to flick the ball on for the equalizer. I like the lad's energy and desire and would prefer him getting minutes to Yellow Card Robertson and Champions League Anjorin.
I would agree we saw him in the game against Fulham in the EFL trophy and he scored a good goal and looked good throughout
Unfortunately I’d guess the other 2 might need to play a percentage of games or we lose them in January
As yesterday showed - we need all three.
PompeyinAnjou
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by PompeyinAnjou »

I gotta feeling Devlin will turn out to be more influential, for Pompey this season, than both these Prem loanees. He looks like a proper Pompey player and despite his youth, he looks strong enough to compete at this level.

Give him three games, two at home, and he'll be in front of the two supposed young stars.

No, I'm not related to him.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I would have taken a point before the game so I would have to say I am pleased with the draw. As I never saw the game I can't comment on it but according to the radio we should really have won it. Derby supporters generally think a draw was a fair result but many claimed the game was low on quality with two poor teams on show.

We have really got to turn some of these draws into wins while others will point out that some of the drawn games could have been losses. Apparently it appears this game again showed
Pompey's lack of creativity in the forward areas, which really needs to be solved if we are going to get anywhere this season. Although 15 attempts on goal with 5 on target doesn't seem to bear that out, and a pretty good return for an away team against one of the fancied sides.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:46 pm I would have taken a point before the game so I would have to say I am pleased with the draw. As I never saw the game I can't comment on it but according to the radio we should really have won it. Derby supporters generally think a draw was a fair result but many claimed the game was low on quality with two poor teams on show.

We have really got to turn some of these draws into wins while others will point out that some of the drawn games could have been losses. Apparently it appears this game again showed
Pompey's lack of creativity in the forward areas, which really needs to be solved if we are going to get anywhere this season. Although 15 attempts on goal with 5 on target doesn't seem to bear that out, and a pretty good return for an away team against one of the fancied sides.
We have the highest XG in the league (but a poor conversation rate) - and as Saturday showed we can create chances, we just aren't taking them. That said I don't think we carve out lots of clear cut chances, another day (like many of our games) we walk away 2-0 winners on Saturday and neither side can have any complaints.

That said I don't think we created the
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:03 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:46 pm I would have taken a point before the game so I would have to say I am pleased with the draw. As I never saw the game I can't comment on it but according to the radio we should really have won it. Derby supporters generally think a draw was a fair result but many claimed the game was low on quality with two poor teams on show.

We have the highest XG in the league (but a poor conversation rate) - and as Saturday showed we can create chances, we just aren't taking them. That said I don't think we carve out lots of clear cut chances, another day (like many of our games) we walk away 2-0 winners on Saturday and neither side can have any complaints.

The what? :lol:
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:59 pm

Apparently it’s the expected goals statistically that a team should score based upon a whole host of factors (I cheated and googled it)
Simply statistically it shows we should be scoring far more goals than we are at present
Doesn’t surprise me at all when we only have one established proven goalscorer in the team and decided to take a punt on Yengi Saydee and Kamara coming good and Scully / Whyte not being a total waste of space
Saydee is fine at what he does but rarely looks like scoring as is Kamara
And I’m not buying into the hype surrounding Yengi being the answer to all these problems if and when he is actually fit as yet
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

....calibre of chances some of our football deserved.

One day, when it clicks someone is going to get a pasting!
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

I think it would be a pity if we blew promotion for the sake of another top goalscorer. Maybe the goals will come as the team gells.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey55 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:25 pm

Apparently it’s the expected goals statistically that a team should score based upon a whole host of factors (I cheated and googled it)
Simply statistically it shows we should be scoring far more goals than we are at present
Doesn’t surprise me at all when we only have one established proven goalscorer in the team and decided to take a punt on Yengi Saydee and Kamara coming good and Scully / Whyte not being a total waste of space
Saydee is fine at what he does but rarely looks like scoring as is Kamara
And I’m not buying into the hype surrounding Yengi being the answer to all these problems if and when he is actually fit as yet

Yes, well we have had plenty of discussion on this board concerning our summer recruitment before. My view is still the same and think there were too many 'punts' made on players for a club 'really going for promotion'. Some of them could well turn out to be winning punts, hopefully all of them, but the odds are that some will be 'losing punts'. Yengi is one of the gambles as was Saydee. I like Saydee for his effort and spirit and if he could add some genuine skill to his game could be a real winner. I suppose all players are gambles but, in my opinion, going for players with pedigree is less so.

Having said that, while the football hasn't been wildly exciting, I would think it has been an encouraging start.