Derby Away

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: Derby Away

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:40 pm I think it would be a pity if we blew promotion for the sake of another top goalscorer. Maybe the goals will come as the team gells.
Would we create as many with two forwards?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:40 pm I think it would be a pity if we blew promotion for the sake of another top goalscorer. Maybe the goals will come as the team gells.
How long does it take a team to gel most of them were here for all the preseason and including cup games we have now played 10 games competitively?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:35 pm
Would we create as many with two forwards?
Maybe we would create less but convert a higher percentage with 2
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

In my opinion having more than one goalscorer on the pitch goes someway into compensating for a lack of creativity. Obviously you can have too many strikers on the pitch at one time. However, when a team is losing and chasing the game they, invariably, bring on extra strikers. I think Bishop does well toiling away on his own up front and his goals return from the scraps of chances he gets is very good. Against Peterborough I think Pompey looked a good side when the Peterborough defence had Saydee to contend with as well. Against Bristol Rovers Pompey employed three strikers at the end with Rovers hanging on before succumbing to Pompey pressure late on.

I think Pompey do create chances but not so many clear cut ones and if Bishop is marked out the game goals are very hard to come by.