Top of the League.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 135 times

Re: Top of the League.

Post by Blue Walter »

NSRailings wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:06 pm
Milton End wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:05 pm Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but things could change on Saturday 23rd.
And there starts the misery :lol:

Some people are just enjoying the moment and don't need others giving them some perspective. People know that things can change in football - so just enjoy the good times.

Of course, you are absolutely right. The thread was themed at how nice it was seeing Pompey at the top of the table. Any football fan of any club with a modicum of intelligence will know all the pit falls in a season and being top of the table only really counts at the seasons end. Therefore it didn't really need people, like myself, adding pragmatism to the thread when everyone knows what can happen without being told.

I do apologise for that but I was also trying to convey that although we have been here before there is a difference. Last season I didn't join in the general euphoria at being top because I didn't think we deserved it. I thought we had been extremely lucky in games and we were fotunately winning games, which was just papering over the cracks. We hadn’t played any of the fancied teams and I thought we were pretty poor in most games. This season is different in my opinion because I think we have deserved to win the games we have and, perhaps, should have won the games we drew. We have also played 3 fancied teams and generally came out on top. Plus I believe that League One is weaker this season so I think there is genuine encouragement, unlike last season.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Still top!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 230 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

And Undefeated
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:02 pmStill top!
BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:37 pm And Undefeated
Yeah but only for now...
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 388 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

This original thread was not a prediction, but more a 'let's enjoy the moment'. Whilst we remain top, let's enjoy it. We all know football is a funny old game but after 9 games, a fifth of the season, we should be starting to see an indication how things could turn out. I think next week will be very tough away at Wigan but none of the top 7 sides have easy games. PUP.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

As you all know Pompey have gone 20 league games undefeated. That run has seen Pompey winning 9 games and drawing 11 which has yielded 38 points. That makes it an average of 1.9 points per game. If that form is repeated for the next 31 games that would give us somewhere in the region of 78 points. Obviously we are going to lose games, and the first defeat after such a long unbeaten run is going to hurt like hell, so that does mean more wins are required to compensate for defeats. 78 points should get us into the Play Offs. It goes without saying that more points will be needed for automatic promotion but, as things stand, we are on course for the Play Offs at least.

Just saying, I was a bit bored.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Blue Walter wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:23 pm As you all know Pompey have gone 20 league games undefeated. That run has seen Pompey winning 9 games and drawing 11 which has yielded 38 points. That makes it an average of 1.9 points per game. If that form is repeated for the next 31 games that would give us somewhere in the region of 78 points. Obviously we are going to lose games, and the first defeat after such a long unbeaten run is going to hurt like hell, so that does mean more wins are required to compensate for defeats. 78 points should get us into the Play Offs. It goes without saying that more points will be needed for automatic promotion but, as things stand, we are on course for the Play Offs at least.

If we just focus on this season, and why wouldn't we? We are averaging over 2.1 points per match which would relate to 97 points. Now that wouldn't be bad would it..
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

GreenBlue wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:18 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:23 pm As you all know Pompey have gone 20 league games undefeated. That run has seen Pompey winning 9 games and drawing 11 which has yielded 38 points. That makes it an average of 1.9 points per game. If that form is repeated for the next 31 games that would give us somewhere in the region of 78 points. Obviously we are going to lose games, and the first defeat after such a long unbeaten run is going to hurt like hell, so that does mean more wins are required to compensate for defeats. 78 points should get us into the Play Offs. It goes without saying that more points will be needed for automatic promotion but, as things stand, we are on course for the Play Offs at least.

If we just focus on this season, and why wouldn't we? We are averaging over 2.1 points per match which would relate to 97 points. Now that wouldn't be bad would it..
Yes, that would be more gooder.
PompeyinAnjou
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by PompeyinAnjou »

The arithmetic is faulty. We have 19 points from 9 games and thus 37 to be played. At 1.9 per match that is another 70 points, making 89 which should secure an automatic place. There again as my old man used to say, 'If my aunty Floss had a dick , she'd be my uncle'. Early days yet, we'll see.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

ExHGS1973 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:54 pm

The arithmetic is faulty. We have 19 points from 9 games and thus 37 to be played. At 1.9 per match that is another 70 points, making 89 which should secure an automatic place. There again as my old man used to say, 'If my aunty Floss had a dick , she'd be my uncle'. Early days yet, we'll see.
Yes, of course I said 31 games when there are actually another 37 to be played. I don't know why I said 31, perhaps I really am the dick some on here think I am.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

ExHGS1973 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:54 pm The arithmetic is faulty. We have 19 points from 9 games and thus 37 to be played. At 1.9 per match that is another 70 points, making 89 which should secure an automatic place. There again as my old man used to say, 'If my aunty Floss had a dick , she'd be my uncle'. Early days yet, we'll see.
19 points from 9 games is certainly not 1.9 points per game.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by New Forester »

It’s 2.1111111111111
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

New Forester wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:11 am It’s 2.1111111111111
Let’s hope our current form is recurring moving forwards!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Melbourne Graham
Collins Mbesuma
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Melbourne Graham »

Isn’t there a relegation fee paid for the following 2/3 years or is that only the premier league, also history shows you were promoted and maybe league champions and have a cup for a year.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Melbourne Graham wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:46 am Isn’t there a relegation fee paid for the following 2/3 years or is that only the premier league, also history shows you were promoted and maybe league champions and have a cup for a year.
Parachute payments only go to clubs relegated from the Premier League which distorts the Championship that’s why the EFL want changes to create a more level playing field