Top of the League.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

Top of the League.

Post by GreenBlue »

Top of the league with none of the next 4 below us expected to be challenging at the end of the season. My smile, going in to work this morning, was a big one and I thought... what the f**k, there are so many bad things going on in the world today, I should enjoy every opportunity I get to genuinely smile.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Top of the League.

Post by Sam_Brown »

My man. It does certainly help brighten these grey autumnal days. I’m going to enjoy while I can.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

And didn’t we have a brief spell at the top of the Premiership? Another happy memory.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Its about time we started to smell the flowers of success and it smells good. We still have a long road ahead so let’s enjoy the journey
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but things could change on Saturday 23rd.

Lincoln could play a strong defensive game: we've had difficulty breaking down such tactics. Maybe a draw - one point. On the same day, Stevenage are playing the bottom club Cheltenham away - a win with three points would put Stevenage above PFC if we draw.

More generally, these are still early days. For example and if my recollection is correct, weren't we top of Div 1 around this time last year?

Admittedly, we have much more squad depth than last year. But a few injuries and suspensions could still make it difficult for us. PUP.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Milton End wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:05 pm Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but things could change on Saturday 23rd.

Lincoln could play a strong defensive game: we've had difficulty breaking down such tactics. Maybe a draw - one point. On the same day, Stevenage are playing the bottom club Cheltenham away - a win with three points would put Stevenage above PFC if we draw.

More generally, these are still early days. For example and if my recollection is correct, weren't we top of Div 1 around this time last year?

Admittedly, we have much more squad depth than last year. But a few injuries and suspensions could still make it difficult for us. PUP.
I’d agree with you regarding not only Lincoln but most teams come here and park the bus and we seem still to have the same problems as last season breaking them down Cheltenham being a prime example and yes we were in a similar post last season until we visited Ipswich after that the wheels came off our challenge
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Can't we just be happy in the moment we are top!

Football is transient in nature.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

If we could get off to a blistering start like we did last match home and away then hold on to our lead it would be just fine, but football is not like that. I still wonder if JM knows his best team yet there must be a formula to counter the “park the bus teams” if there is JM needs to find it fast ? Possibly Saydee may be the missing link we are looking for he can bully their defenders whilst we hit them from all angles?
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Pompey55 »

May be at home only play either Pack or Morrell and use both Saydee and Robertson in tandem behind Bishop
Or go with a back 3 and wingbacks to allow us to use another forward looking player in the centre

Edit just heard Moushino and he seems to indicate Ogilvie is touch and go for Saturday so as Sparkes can’t really defend then maybe we should go back 3 with Sparkes as left wingback and Lane right
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

While it's good to see Pompey at the top of the league we do, obviously, need to keep some perspective. There is a long way to go and so many twists and turns to come. There are players that will become unavailable with injuries and suspension that hamper things. Plus, as already mentioned, we have been here before and we still have the problem of breaking teams down at home, Cheltenham's only point this season has come from Fratton Park. Especially so now we are top of the league but there is one thing different from last season and that is our performances against the better teams. Barnsley, Peterborough and Derby are all fancied teams but they haven't fared that well against Pompey. I believe the league is much weaker than last season and the signs are encouraging.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

dit just heard Moushino and he seems to indicate Ogilvie is touch and go for Saturday so as Sparkes can’t really defend then maybe we should go back 3 with Sparkes as left wingback and Lane right

I’d concur with that 55 no way should Sparkie play left back if necessary we could play Towler at CB and move Shaughnessy to LB
-- Diane Johnson
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Milton End wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:05 pm Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but things could change on Saturday 23rd.
And there starts the misery :lol:

Some people are just enjoying the moment and don't need others giving them some perspective. People know that things can change in football - so just enjoy the good times.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

If we get promoted, we might get relegated.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:11 pm If we get promoted, we might get relegated.
😀😀😀
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

What`s the point of promotion when you could get relegated the following year
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man