Lincoln

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Re: Lincoln

Post by Blue Walter »

I thought we played well and deserved to win as we were the better side. I thought we played some decent football in places and beat a decent side. However, I think the final third let us down again and, for a decent side, lack the creativity our play should produce. I think we had a certain swagger about our play but I think we should make sure we are winning games by a bigger margins before that starts. I think we should have put more crosses in when the opportunity arose instead of passing it about and look to get more shots off.

Nevertheless, we are winning games, and deservedly so, and we are top of the league. We are one of the best sides in the league at the moment or if not, quite possibly, the best. The problem round the corner is that Mousinho could be manager of the month, and we know what that could mean.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:35 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:38 pm
jam tomorrow wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:29 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:16 pm
New Forester wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:49 pm How well did we play?
Very well apart from giving away a soft goal and we were hanging on a bit at the end
Overall I think we should have been out of sight at the end but the same old problem of dominating a game but lacking a final ball and an ability to create it
Robertson was good but lacks that experience to create the goals we need
Thought Kamara was outstanding
We can’t afford to play Sparkes in defence hopefully JM has got the message in future hope we play Shaughnessy there still a good win against a team that hasn’t lost a game this season.
Agree about Sparkes but was put in my place earlier for suggesting he can’t defend by another poster stating we signed him as a left back so should play him there
So you would rather play someone who isn't a left back at left back? You who moaned so much (amongst many, many, other things) about players being played out of position.

Your suggestion this morning was to change the formation that has seen us go 20 games unbeaten and play Paddy Lane at right wing back.

I can only assume you have been partying with Snoop Dogg.
Not at all I suggested that he was a liability at left back and if necessary we might need to play a different formation to compensate for that and he was better going forward
Their goal and our second supported that view in my opinion
And did not Lane play right wing and Kamara left wing today or was my partying causing me to get that wrong as obviously Lane can’t play that position apparently
And btw during the unbeaten run we have actually changed our formation a number of times based upon who was available or again I guess I never saw the majority of those games because of my partying
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

I thought Sparkes had a mixed game today. I thought he was good going forward and put in some decent crosses. I thought he held the ball up well in forward positions but I worry about him in defensive areas. He lost the ball that led to them scoring and I agree his best position is probably a wing back.

Exeter supporters were surprised that he went to a top League One team rather than dropping into League Two, which they thought he would be doing. They generally thought he was good going forward but not good defensively. I think we have seen enough for ourselves to concur with those assessments. I do think he is worth a place in our squad but I don't see him as a starter.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:54 pm
Very well apart from giving away a soft goal and we were hanging on a bit at the end
Overall I think we should have been out of sight at the end but the same old problem of dominating a game but lacking a final ball and an ability to create it
We can’t afford to play Sparkes in defence hopefully JM has got the message in future hope we play Shaughnessy there still a good win against a team that hasn’t lost a game this season.
Agree about Sparkes but was put in my place earlier for suggesting he can’t defend by another poster stating we signed him as a left back so should play him there
So you would rather play someone who isn't a left back at left back? You who moaned so much (amongst many, many, other things) about players being played out of position.

Your suggestion this morning was to change the formation that has seen us go 20 games unbeaten and play Paddy Lane at right wing back.

Not at all I suggested that he was a liability at left back and if necessary we might need to play a different formation to compensate for that and he was better going forward
And did not Lane play right wing and Kamara left wing today or was my partying causing me to get that wrong as obviously Lane can’t play that position apparently
And btw during the unbeaten run we have actually changed our formation a number of times based upon who was available or again I guess I never saw the majority of those games because of my partying

:smt025 :smt025 :smt025
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:57 pm I thought Sparkes had a mixed game today. I thought he was good going forward and put in some decent crosses. I thought he held the ball up well in forward positions but I worry about him in defensive areas. He lost the ball that led to them scoring and I agree his best position is probably a wing back.

Exeter supporters were surprised that he went to a top League One team rather than dropping into League Two, which they thought he would be doing. They generally thought he was good going forward but not good defensively. I think we have seen enough for ourselves to concur with those assessments. I do think he is worth a place in our squad but I don't see him as a starter.
I think both he and Hume are perfectly acceptable back ups for Oglivie - which is fundamentally what any other left back in the squad is.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:01 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:54 pm

:smt025 :smt025 :smt025
If anything it’s🍺🍺🍺
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:02 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:57 pm I thought Sparkes had a mixed game today. I thought he was good going forward and put in some decent crosses. I thought he held the ball up well in forward positions but I worry about him in defensive areas. He lost the ball that led to them scoring and I agree his best position is probably a wing back.

I think both he and Hume are perfectly acceptable back ups for Oglivie - which is fundamentally what any other left back in the squad is.
I don't think Sparkes could be described as an ideal back up full back. I think him playing solely as a full back is a weak link for the team. You are right he is a full back by description but not a very good one at this level. I do think he has other attributes that make him a good squad member but I don't think he makes a good out and out defender. I do agree that if we need a full back because of necessity it is better to use someone who plays there rather than playing someone out of position, which is where Sparkes has played, but only in emergency.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

We are improving as the season goes on. Mousinho seemed hyped up in his post match interview - I guess he feels the weight of expectation. But it's his first manager/head coach job and he's been doing extremely well. So I think it's important to reduce any pressure on him and the squad and give full support.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

NSRailings wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:29 pm We are improving as the season goes on. Mousinho seemed hyped up in his post match interview - I guess he feels the weight of expectation. But it's his first manager/head coach job and he's been doing extremely well. So I think it's important to reduce any pressure on him and the squad and give full support.
Definitely. If anyone can’t muster the motivation to get behind the team and manager 100% while we are top of the table I don’t know why’d they’d bother calling them self a supporter tbh. Let’s enjoy things while we can. Who knows where the season will go.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I watched thematch on IFollow yesterday, because I really am in Italy (rather than use my VPN). Unfortunately the quality of the transmisssion was not brilliant and it froze for virtually the last 5 minutes. However Pompey were basically in control of the Game. Lincoln were unable to regroup to defend their lead because of the quick response of our equaliser. We had many attacks in their penalty area which faltered because of the sheer numbers of defenders when the ball regularly ricocheted around never to fall cleanly for a Pompey Player. We do have a swagger with quick first time passes, I like it and feel we should enjoy how we are playing and not expect perfection. We are top of the League and undefeated for 20 Matches now, Rejoice!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:26 am I watched thematch on IFollow yesterday, because I really am in Italy (rather than use my VPN). Unfortunately the quality of the transmisssion was not brilliant and it froze for virtually the last 5 minutes. However Pompey were basically in control of the Game. Lincoln were unable to regroup to defend their lead because of the quick response of our equaliser. We had many attacks in their penalty area which faltered because of the sheer numbers of defenders when the ball regularly ricocheted around never to fall cleanly for a Pompey Player. We do have a swagger with quick first time passes, I like it and feel we should enjoy how we are playing and not expect perfection. We are top of the League and undefeated for 20 Matches now, Rejoice!
By swagger I meant some players doing 'party pieces' in areas that could have left them red faced. Even to the point of some of the passing in defensive areas was a bit mickey taking. I have no problem with that, in fact it is part of the entertainment. The quicker passing is essential to unlock defences and game by game Pompey seem to be getting better and better and I don't see that as swagger. At 2-1 it is a bit too close and we knew Lincoln would push forward and I think Pompey were not home and dry by any means as Lincoln did miss a very presentable chance late on. Not to have won the game would have been criminal because I think we were by far the best side and fully deserved to win.

Lincoln defended really well and I think they are a good side. Their penalty area was very congested and I think we could have tried more balls in the air to cause them more problems. Of course I am not expecting perfection because Pompey are a League One team with League One players. I just think there are areas that could be improved that can make us just that bit better. Obviously all that won't be lost on Mousinho because he is doing a brilliant job at the moment and he will see where improvements can be made.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Lincoln are going to be a difficult team to beat this season as they have already proved. I thought that was a very professional all round performance from us. I must have been watching a different game to some of you as I didn't see Robertson kicking the ball away for his yellow? I could be wrong but I thought their player kicked the ball from the free kick straight at him as he was walking back to get into position. Either way, he did leave himself open to what happened. He's a great player though, along with Morrell who was comfortably the best player on the pitch. Absolutely bossed midfield
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by blue architect »

Selsey Bill wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:44 am Lincoln are going to be a difficult team to beat this season as they have already proved. I thought that was a very professional all round performance from us. I must have been watching a different game to some of you as I didn't see Robertson kicking the ball away for his yellow? I could be wrong but I thought their player kicked the ball from the free kick straight at him as he was walking back to get into position. Either way, he did leave himself open to what happened. He's a great player though, along with Morrell who was comfortably the best player on the pitch. Absolutely bossed midfield
The Lincoln player took the freekick quickly, purposely kicking that ball at him and because he had not retreated the requisite distance was booked for obstructing a free kick.
It was a bit of gamesmanship. We could have done the same to them several times but elected to wait for them to retreat.
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

blue architect wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:32 am
Selsey Bill wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:44 am Lincoln are going to be a difficult team to beat this season as they have already proved. I thought that was a very professional all round performance from us. I must have been watching a different game to some of you as I didn't see Robertson kicking the ball away for his yellow? I could be wrong but I thought their player kicked the ball from the free kick straight at him as he was walking back to get into position. Either way, he did leave himself open to what happened. He's a great player though, along with Morrell who was comfortably the best player on the pitch. Absolutely bossed midfield
The Lincoln player took the freekick quickly, purposely kicking that ball at him and because he had not retreated the requisite distance was booked for obstructing a free kick.
It was a bit of gamesmanship. We could have done the same to them several times but elected to wait for them to retreat.
I'm not going mad then!