Welcome to Wrexham! Why not Welcome to Portsmouth?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Welcome to Wrexham! Why not Welcome to Portsmouth?

Post by Sam_Brown »

Feel like Eisner as an ex Disney guy would have had the sway to get Disney to do a show on us. Feel like it’s a massive mixed opportunity.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Re: Welcome to Wrexham! Why not Welcome to Portsmouth?

Post by Blue Walter »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:41 pm Feel like Eisner as an ex Disney guy would have had the sway to get Disney to do a show on us. Feel like it’s a massive mixed opportunity.
I don't think he has got any sway at Disney as he left under an acrimonious cloud. What about Pathe News?
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Oh did he? I didn’t even realise. My wife became a bigger Eisner fan after hearing he was responsible for some of her favourite films like Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast.

She also asked me if I were out this weekend so she could get Aladdin but I’m not sure that’s related.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pretty sure he said recently that ship has sailed as every club seem to do it.

He did suggest there might be an opening for one based on ladies football.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Pompey55 »

I’ve got the view that the actors pitched it to Disney before they took over then that funded it
It was obviously good for the club less so I think the National league as it has no FFP rules so they were able to buy the promotion much the same as Salford did
Also I think the investment is mainly loans not equity as ours is so will be interesting how it goes now they are subject to FFP regulations
Think yesterdays game will make good viewing for them
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:28 pm Oh did he? I didn’t even realise. My wife became a bigger Eisner fan after hearing he was responsible for some of her favourite films like Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast.

She also asked me if I were out this weekend so she could get Aladdin but I’m not sure that’s related.
Is she of legal age? :lol: :lol:
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

She is now.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
itsaintfunny
Mick Channon
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by itsaintfunny »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:41 pm Feel like Eisner as an ex Disney guy would have had the sway to get Disney to do a show on us. Feel like it’s a massive mixed opportunity.
Definitely a mixed opportunity Sam !
I've had a couple of welcomes to Portsmouth over the years for derby days 2004 about the worst but also remember an FA Cup game where Steve Moran scored the winning goal [early 80's , ask your Dad or possibly Grandad for that one.] :thumb
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

itsaintfunny wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:59 pm
I've had a couple of welcomes to Portsmouth over the years for derby days 2004 about the worst but also remember an FA Cup game where Steve Moran scored the winning goal [early 80's , ask your Dad or possibly Grandad for that one.] :thumb
Lol you guys give as good as you get. I went to the cup game in 2010!!!

Joking aside it does get a bit too much sometimes I admit. A fierce rivalry is good but not when it ends up with people getting physically attacked.

Funnily enough I was at uni in Langston campus in 2004. I’d just come down the previous year after a hiatus when the family moved away up to the midlands when I was a kid. I had a few “mates” trying to get me to go down the road and join in the carnage which I was happy to decline. They aren’t mates anymore.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

itsaintfunny wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:59 pm

I was at that game as I was for most of the derby games. I went to the Dell games as well and usually came away disappointed. I think the Saints teams in the 60's were, begrudgingly, a delight to watch when they weren't playing Pompey. When Saints first got promoted I used to alternate between Pompey and Saints home matches because the fixtures were arranged that they were not at home on the same day.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:28 pm Oh did he? I didn’t even realise. My wife became a bigger Eisner fan after hearing he was responsible for some of her favourite films like Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast.

🤣
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Yep - Eisner is none too popular at Disney, at least from a purist sense. He brought about massive layoffs and got rid of the Disney old guard, reinventing the whole corporate structure and turned Disney into a commercial behemoth - putting profit before tradition.

And Lord Farquaad in Shrek, who's enslaving all the fairy tale creatures, and has an unhealthy obsession with a castle themed park? Guess who that character is based on?
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Weybridge wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:08 pm Yep - Eisner is none too popular at Disney, at least from a purist sense. He brought about massive layoffs and got rid of the Disney old guard, reinventing the whole corporate structure and turned Disney into a commercial behemoth - putting profit before tradition.

And Lord Farquaad in Shrek, who's enslaving all the fairy tale creatures, and has an unhealthy obsession with a castle themed park? Guess who that character is based on?
Rishi Sunak?
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Weybridge wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:08 pm Yep - Eisner is none too popular at Disney, at least from a purist sense. He brought about massive layoffs and got rid of the Disney old guard, reinventing the whole corporate structure and turned Disney into a commercial behemoth - putting profit before tradition.

With respect, I think that you are confusing the recent regime of Bob Chapek with the much earlier and more successful time of Michael Eisner.

Mr Chapek was appointed as Chief Executive in February 2020 to replace Bob Eiger who had led the company since 2005. Mr Chapek then proceeded to strip the studio chiefs of their traditional authority to determine budgets, marketing plans, etc. He also dismissed Disney's major resources in animation like 'Mickey Mouse' as 'background noise' because they were only for children and would not deliver growth in teenagers and adults. He also promoted some senior executives and fired others, some of whom - like Peter Rice - were well-respected in the industry.

Unfortunately for Mr Chapek, he also was CEO when Disney reported a loss of $1.5 billion in the 3rd quarter of 2022. Mr Chapek was fired and Mr Eiger re-hired.

Michael Eisner left Disney in 2005 after a successful period re-vitalising the animation studios with hits like 'Lion King'. He also broadened Disney media into television studios and related areas. However, his record towards the end was not so good. But he did not get rid of the Disney old guard: that was Mr Chapek much later. Mr Eisner still has the Disney HQ in Birbank, California named after him. Mr Chapek does not.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante