Your Starting xi vs Port Vale

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Your Starting xi vs Port Vale

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Mousinho is going to be forced into at least two changes to the starting eleven since Robertson and Poole are suspended. It also doesn't sound likely that Pack is going to be fit for the game vs Port Vale so what is your team and formation?

I am going to go to resist the temptation to start two holding midfielders at home in this game and go for the win from the off. Stevenson can come on from the bench if the tactic does not work at half time or if Pompey are in a winning position and we want to fortify the midfield.

I am going to give Devlin his first start and ask him to play centrally and to take his que from Morrell as to whether he should drop into a defensive position alongside Morrell or be released to go join the attack. I also prefer Saydee starting the game over Anjorin but I'd sub Anjorin on at 65-70mins to give him 20mins against a tiring defence in the 10 role and Stevenson at the same time for Devlin.

My Team would be:

Norris,
Rafferty,
Raggett,
Shaughnessy,
Sparkes,
Morrell,
Devlin,
Lane,
Saydee,
Kamara,
Bishop,

Subs: Schofield, Swanson, Stevenson, Whyte, Towler, Anjorin, Mottoh.

Mottoh gets onto the bench because injuries and suspensions are leaving the match day squad a little thin and it picks itself basically from the fit professionals. Maybe a 'surprise' on match day is that Yengi is declared fit enough - even for say 10-20mins - and in which case I would put him on the bench naturally ahead of Mottoh.

Oglivie is said to be 'touch and go' for this game with a groin injury. I'm not going to risk him. Pompey have a gap now for two weeks before the next game so give him that extra time so that he is fully fit after the break. There is always the EFL on Tuesday night too if he is ready for 45mins of football for example.

Schofield, Swanson, Raggett, Towler, Robertson, Stevenson, Whyte and Saydee all start for me in midweek in the EFL Trophy. Yengi and Oglivie are involved too if fit enough.

By the time the next league game vs Carlisle comes around - and then its three games in eight days for Pompey - the team should have be targetting to have Oglivie, Robertson, Poole and Yengi all available and have hopefully Anjorin up to full speed too. Pack hopefully will be back by then too and by late October Lowery's return won't be too far away either.

What is your team for Port Vale?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Your Starting xi vs Port Vale

Post by Pompey55 »

I agree totally with your suggested team in particular starting Saydee as Anjorin whilst talented still looked of the pace on Tuesday and bringing Saydee on changed the dynamic of the team
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I wonder if he might go Stevenson to 'sit' a bit more than Devlin
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Pompey55 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:01 am I agree totally with your suggested team in particular starting Saydee as Anjorin whilst talented still looked of the pace on Tuesday and bringing Saydee on changed the dynamic of the team
I am hoping that Anjorin can become a more important player for Pompey as the season develops and he gets up to full speed/fitness. Almost like a new signing from November onwards.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

I'd have Yengi in the bench. Feel a bit for Towler but he's young and has time. No idea about Stevenson but i like the look of Devlin so I'd start with him, gets in the box too.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Mousinho has confirmed that Yengi has trained all of this week and is fit and available for Saturday. He indicated that he is likely to be involved but I suspect that it will be from the bench. Mousinho mentioned since he was an athletic powerful forward that he would need to perhaps be brought on slowly to protect him whilst he gets match fit.

Yengi for me then on the bench instead of Mottoh (as I said y'day if Yengi was fit).
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I would be happy with that starting eleven too Jack. Yengi is fit, but Pack definitely isn't. According to Mous he will be out for at least 4-6 weeks. From the little I have seen of Devlin, he has looked good to me, very attacking, and I too think we should go for it from the start. I would also be happy to bring Swanson back in for Rafferty, but happy either way. As others have suggested, I think Tino will become very important for us in time. He is so obviously not match fit, but has shown some glimpses of just what he is capable of, as did Robertson when he first arrived, and look at him now.
Pompeypete73
Collins Mbesuma
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Pompeypete73 »

I agree with all the team selections that could possibly start, however I was slightly concerned with our last starting XI
I have seen so many of you guys praising the management about signing players on a permanent contract rather than being overly reliant on loanees, yet against Wycombe we started started with Robertson, Anjorin and Kamara. I am not trying to play devils advocate here, but is this this the way we should go and (fingers crossed) if we get promoted, thats an entire midfield thats needs rebuilding
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompeypete73 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:29 pm I agree with all the team selections that could possibly start, however I was slightly concerned with our last starting XI
I have seen so many of you guys praising the management about signing players on a permanent contract rather than being overly reliant on loanees, yet against Wycombe we started started with Robertson, Anjorin and Kamara. I am not trying to play devils advocate here, but is this this the way we should go and (fingers crossed) if we get promoted, thats an entire midfield thats needs rebuilding
Playing as we did on Tuesday 4-2-3-1
Only Robertson who was covering for Pack was an actual midfielder and will be covered by Devlin a contract player in future or Jewitt-White or possibly at sometime Stevenson
Anjorin was a 10 replaced by Saydee a contracted player
Kamara played left wing covered by Scully a contract player (unfortunately) or Mottoh or even Sparkes if necessary not forgetting maybe even Curtis when recovered
So not totally reliant on loans
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Mousinho went with Stevenson in midfield alongside Morrell, Saydee over Anjorin and Lane and Kamara the wide players. Yengi on the bench
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Norris, Rafferty, Raggett, Shaughnessy, Sparkes, Morrell (c), Stevenson, Lane, Saydee, Kamara, Bishop

Subs: Schofield, Swanson, Towler, Devlin, Anjorin, Whyte, Yengi

PUP
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pretty strong line up and bench all things considered.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:22 pm Pretty strong line up and bench all things considered.
I feel it's stronger than last year. Fingers crossed.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
PompeyExpat
Robbie Pethick
Been liked: 1 time

Post by PompeyExpat »

Again, a poor 1st half, no threat on goal, very complacent from the team. Let hope the second half improves.
Last edited by PompeyExpat on Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Pretty average at ht...nobody disgraced themself...no contender for MoM!!

Can only get better (unless we lose!!) :roll: