Port Vale reviews

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Port Vale reviews

Post by New Forester »

What’s the verdict?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Port Vale reviews

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Certainly an important win as everyone else in the top 6 won except Bolton.
Div III. Call it what it is.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

First half..pretty dire with Lane missing a really good opportunity, team not gelling well but no shockers.

Second half started similarly with Pompey gradually getting the upper hand. Breakthrough with Bishop being in right place and some good work on the right by Rafferty who hit a low bullet across goal for Bishop to touch in. Second was a penalty, a bit harsh on PV but put away with confidence by Bishop.
MoM, rightly, was Bishop who led the line excellently despite a lot of dubious contact from defenders but every Pompey player put in a shift culminating in a good result of 23 consecutive league matches without defeat.

Oh, and still Top of the League!! :thumb
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

We thought that Morrell should have been man of the match given his overall contribution
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Considering the midfield and defence changes a win was a great result. Rags almost had a goal a couple of times. Saydee causes problems no matter how good a game he has. Nice cross from Sparkes for the first goal. PV could've had a goal in the first half but you have to take your chances. Another win shows a very good and growing team spirit.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I thought it was the least impressive performance by Pompey for some time. Overall I think Port Vale can count themselves as a little unfortunate as they were much the better side in the first half. In fact I thought we were a tad lucky to go in at 0-0 and the second half started in the same way with Vale causing problems and playing the better football. As already said they didn't take their chances and we scored from our first effort on target. I didn't think we played anywhere near the standard we have been with our passing slow and generally lacking penetration. We obviously missed the players out through injury and suspension and I don't think Stevenson done himself any favours although, in fairness, this was his first game for some time but I don't think he done enough to keep anyone out. I think Bishop was the Man of the Match because he scored the goals but no one really excelled and next weekends rest is probably just in time.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Missed Robertson.
Rjk66
Alan Biley
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Rjk66 »

Without Bishop’s goals we would be struggling. An injury to him will find us out.
Mark Hateley and Alan Biley made my favourite season.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

At 2.50 I "popped over to France" to watch the Match on IFollow. The reports so far echo what I saw. PV were unlucky not to be in front at Half Time. However what do you expect when you do not play a Striker. We did and in the course of 5 minutes Bishop demonstrated what quality Strikers do best. The whole impetous of the Match changed and we peppered their goal and only two point blank saves stopped PV being thrashed. Good Teams grind out wins when they are not playing well!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:23 pm Missed Robertson.
Would agree and it is concerning that based on yesterday Stevenson is not the answer. It is concerning that with both Pack and Lowery injured and Anjorin not up to speed yet we will be relying on Robertson and Morrell for the central midfield position and both have a tendency to get booked most games. I would guess that also Morrell is getting close to 5 thus he will be suspended shortly
Hopefully this 2 week break will help lessen the risk and give more time for Lowery to expedite his return
Edit I forgot about Devlin but much the same a Anjorin I don't think he is ready to be in the starting line up yet and based on yesterday neither does Moushino
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:13 am
Would agree and it is concerning that based on yesterday Stevenson is not the answer. It is concerning that with both Pack and Lowery injured and Anjorin not up to speed yet we will be relying on Robertson and Morrell for the central midfield position and both have a tendency to get booked most games. I would guess that also Morrell is getting close to 5 thus he will be suspended shortly
Hopefully this 2 week break will help lessen the risk and give more time for Lowery to expedite his return
Edit I forgot about Devlin but much the same a Anjorin I don't think he is ready to be in the starting line up yet and based on yesterday neither does Moushino
Stevenson isn't supposed to be the same type as player as Robertson. A fairly patched up team got the win against a none to shabby outfit.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:22 am
Pompey55 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:13 am
Would agree and it is concerning that based on he yesterday Stevenson is not the answer. It is concerning that with both Pack and Lowery injured and Anjorin not up to speed yet we will be relying on Robertson and Morrell for the central midfield position and both have a tendency to get booked most games. I would guess that also Morrell is getting close to 5 thus he will be suspended shortly
Stevenson isn't supposed to be the same type as player as Robertson. A fairly patched up team got the win against a none to shabby outfit.
I never said Stevenson is the same type of player as Robertson as neither are Pack or Lowery just based on his performance yesterday that he is not the answer to any of the 3 absent players yesterday Pack Lowery or Robertson
He filled the position adequately but is in my opinion a weak link when he plays
Also I did not criticize the team performance yesterday either as I understood it was a patched up team in particular in midfield
My concern is that we could easily lose Morrell and Robertson through suspension before the others are fit based on their tendency to get booked frequently
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by blue architect »

First half PV pressed hard and closed down our flanks, so neither Lane nor Kamara had much opportunity, our ability then to go through the middle was put under the spotlight and found lacking. I thought Kamara was poor and disinterested for much of the game. Second half we started to run with the ball across the park rather than passing which started to create gaps as it pulled players away. Rafferty started to make forward runs into spaces (with and without the ball) which created doubt in the PV defensive line. The first goal was created by this tactic.
All in all, a bit of a boring, lackluster performance, but as with Tuesday night's game Mousinho was given a puzzle to unravel and he found a solution, so next time we have a similar nut to crack we know how to overcome it.
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by blue architect »

Oh and good to see Yengi back on the pitch.
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I thought that Stevenson was largely anonymous yesterday which meant he didn't stand out as being particularly bad or good. It was his first game for a while so he probably wasn’t match fit but, on yesterday's performance, he didn't show he was the answer for the absentee players in this position. I think Sparkes showed why he cannot be relied on as a full back replacement, purely in a defensive role, and especially in the first half. Going forward I think he is fine, perhaps even good, but defending wise he was our weak link in defence. He got caught on the ball when he should have cleared and he created one of Port Vale's best openings with a woefully misplaced pass. I do think he is worth a place in the squad because of his other attributes.