Team vs Gillingham (EFL Trophy)

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Re: Team vs Gillingham (EFL Trophy)

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Another game of two halves. It showed the quality of our Players compared to theirs. It could have been more!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

eltorrro wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:49 pm We didn't have a great deal to beat but as soon as Morrell came on it was game over. He completely dominated midfield plus kept their playmaker Williams quiet. MoM for me tonight. But didn't everybody else do well also!!
A very good squad performance showing our squad depth. :thumb
Morrell was a huge cut above but I think it's wrong to say we didn't have a great deal to beat going by the first half. JM made the changes as he could see what was needed to win the game.

I think there's real potential in the squad. As long as some of them want to learn and improve.
Last edited by NSRailings on Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

NSRailings wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:31 pm
eltorrro wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:49 pm We didn't have a great deal to beat but as soon as Morrell came on it was game over. He completely dominated midfield plus kept their playmaker Williams quiet. MoM for me tonight. But didn't everybody else do well also!!
A very good squad performance showing our squad depth. :thumb
Morrell was a huge cut above but I think it's wrong to say we didn't have a great deal to beat going by the first half. JM made the changes as he could see what was needed to win the game.
Yes they had the better of the ball in the first half but did not have the quality to use it apart from their goal which was rather fortunate. In the second half as soon as we scored our second goal the whole complex of the match changed. As the commentary team commented Morrell marshalled Williams and pushed forward controlling the game.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

I would agree with others bringing on Morrell at half time totally changed the game he simply oozed quality which was missing from the first half
I think today gave us an indication of where we are with regards to the strength of the squad and who is not up to a starting position

Now I’m going to moan wtf is it going down to the concessions at ten minutes before halftime and then sodding off at the same time before the end why bother going to a game if you not going to watch it

It just me and my family who watch the whole game or just a new phenomenon

Whoops I forgot to say it looks like we need a 5th season ticket next year for another grandson
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Congrats on another future pompey fan 55.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Let's take a minute for Anjorins goal 👍
Super Matt Macey in goal...
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

So pleased with our squad this season just need to iron out our poor starts. I haven’t had a chance to see Stevenson yet, can anybody tell me if he has the quality of Pack or Morrell?
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Stevenson played well last night, he linked up play nicely and was fine in defence. In the second half he worked very well with Morrell and took his goal very coolly. He played better than he did on saturday.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:47 am Stevenson played well last night, he linked up play nicely and was fine in defence. In the second half he worked very well with Morrell and took his goal very coolly. He played better than he did on saturday.
really good to hear that Stevenson is developing with more playing time. I'd emphasise again that this is one reason why these games matter since Pack is out injured and we may need Stevenson to play well in the 1st team in the next couple of months - but he needs playing time to bed into Mousinho's system and to build up confidence and fitness levels.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I think Whittingham made a good point about Whyte last night in that he is trying too hard. He did assist for the Stevenson goal I believe. I know the Northern Ireland team are not top of the tree but you don`t make even their team if you are rubbish. Give him time!
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:25 am
BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:47 am Stevenson played well last night, he linked up play nicely and was fine in defence. In the second half he worked very well with Morrell and took his goal very coolly. He played better than he did on saturday.
really good to hear that Stevenson is developing with more playing time. I'd emphasise again that this is one reason why these games matter since Pack is out injured and we may need Stevenson to play well in the 1st team in the next couple of months - but he needs playing time to bed into Mousinho's system and to build up confidence and fitness levels.
That’s really good news appreciate the feedback we can honestly say now all of Rich Hughes signings have been excellent despite some doubting Thomases including me. Hats off to him and JM for taking us on this terrific rise which we have waited so long to achieve, we will savour this moment and look to the future with positivity PUP.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

We went to the Gills match, agree with most peoples comments about the performance. Credit to Gilllingham who played fairly well in moments during the 1st half for a L2 side (their 13 and 8 stood out as decent players).

It def underlines the importance of matches like this which enables fringe players to get competitive minutes.

Glad to see BS getting some game time, took his goal well and played well (esp 2nd half with JM).

Whilst I’m very pleased (and not all that surprised) to see us sitting top of the table, let’s remind ourselves that no one wins promotion in October.

More of the of the same please Pompey in Nov and Dec!
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Good to see a win wherever it comes. I’d be well up for a double of the League and Cup.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix