England v Italy

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

England v Italy

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

What a performance, what quality in this group of Englishmen

England 3 Italy 1 qualified for the Euros in Germany!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Re: England v Italy

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Yeah...good show all round especially Bellingham and Sir Harry.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

This game was an outstanding example of the modern game. There was long boring periods of endless passing, especially in the first half, followed by absolute brilliance. This sort of game only works when you have the players that are able be to provide the brilliance, and England certainly do. There are periods where the crowd goes almost silent watching the 'cat & mouse' manoeuvres, almost like a game of chess. Then everything is lifted by breath taking skill and all of England's goals had elements of individual brilliance.

We really do have a 'golden era' of players in this country, especially attacking talent. I think it will be an absolute waste if we don't win a major tournament in the near future.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

It was incredibly quiet for long periods. Total opposite of the 1966 Final. The noise was relentless. Style of play different?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Missed the first half but in the 2nd we were superb. Jude Bellingham is the best England player since Paul Gascoigne imho.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Betelgeuse wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:04 am Missed the first half but in the 2nd we were superb. Jude Bellingham is the best England player since Paul Gascoigne imho.
Truly world class, and hopefully he proves to be less 'flawed' than Gazza 🤞
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:06 am
Betelgeuse wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:04 am Missed the first half but in the 2nd we were superb. Jude Bellingham is the best England player since Paul Gascoigne imho.
Truly world class, and hopefully he proves to be less 'flawed' than Gazza 🤞
That`s the difference these days, the Players are looked after and schooled. Bellingham has spent two years in Germany and is now with Real Madrid. He does not seem affected like Gazza or Best, long may it continue!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

New Forester wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:55 am It was incredibly quiet for long periods. Total opposite of the 1966 Final. The noise was relentless. Style of play different?
Yes I think it is because of the style of play that causes the quiet periods. There is not a lot to get excited about when your team is passing the the ball in the same area for long periods. In earlier times the team that had the ball were generally going forward so the crowd would urging them on. I don't think it is quite the same for crowd to urge the players to pass it back to the keeper, then the centre half, then the full back and then back to the keeper.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

New Forester wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:55 am It was incredibly quiet for long periods. Total opposite of the 1966 Final. The noise was relentless. Style of play different?
I didn't know you were at the World Cup Final in '66 NF? 😉
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

I think he is as already as good as Gascoigne and will hopefully surpass him in years to come.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:17 am We really do have a 'golden era' of players in this country, especially attacking talent. I think it will be an absolute waste if we don't win a major tournament in the near future.
The only reason we won't win anything will be because of our manager. Added to this, if we do win a tournament it will be in spite of him, not because of him. Only my opinion, of course ;-)
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Selsey Bill wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:07 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:17 am We really do have a 'golden era' of players in this country, especially attacking talent. I think it will be an absolute waste if we don't win a major tournament in the near future.
The only reason we won't win anything will be because of our manager. Added to this, if we do win a tournament it will be in spite of him, not because of him. Only my opinion, of course ;-)
I am not saying that we won't win a major tournament but I do believe that we could miss out because Southgate is too cautious. Most of these 'golden era' players are extremely talented attacking players. I just wish they could be encouraged to take more risks more often. Try and beat players instead of making the safety first pass in order to keep the ball. Players like Sako, Forden and Rashford have the ability to take players on and get past them. Last night Rashford done that and scored a brilliant goal.