Assuming we get promoted how different will the team look next season?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: Assuming we get promoted how different will the team look next season?

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:17 am
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:26 pm Wonder how long till someone sniffs around the gaffer
I have thought that myself. If he does get us promoted then I think it is nailed on that other clubs will be looking in his direction. I think that continued success will draw attention anyway. I would think he is ambitious and would want to manage at the highest level he can. I don't know how long his contract is but I would assume the club will be thinking of a longer term offer to him. I would think he would want to finish what he has started here before he is tempted away. A longer contract would mean any admirers would have to pay the club compensation.
He gives the impression of a man who was very grateful for the opportunity Pompey have given him - while I don't think he will show blind loyality I do think he will want to achieve something before moving on. All the whole he feels happy, and like progress can and is being made I suspect we will be able to hold off any potential suitors unless an opportunity absolutely too good to turn down comes in.

I did wonder if Oxford reached out.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:37 am
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:26 pm Wonder how long till someone sniffs around the gaffer
I have thought that myself. If he does get us promoted then I think it is nailed on that other clubs will be looking in his direction. I think that continued success will draw attention anyway. I would think he is ambitious and would want to manage at the highest level he can. I don't know how long his contract is but I would assume the club will be thinking of a longer term offer to him. I would think he would want to finish what he has started here before he is tempted away. A longer contract would mean any admirers would have to pay the club compensation.
He gives the impression of a man who was very grateful for the opportunity Pompey have given him - while I don't think he will show blind loyality I do think he will want to achieve something before moving on. All the whole he feels happy, and like progress can and is being made I suspect we will be able to hold off any potential suitors unless an opportunity absolutely too good to turn down comes in.

I agree, that's the way I see it. Unlike supporters players and managers will move from clubs if and when something better comes along. I don't suppose Mousinho is any different and dreams of the chance to manage a team in the Premiership with money to spend on players. I don't suppose he gave Portsmouth much thought before he came here but then was attracted for the chance to manage a big famous club as a first job in management. He has, no doubt, got ambitions of greater things and I think that the only difference in ambitious players and managers is the level of integrity. The question is will he be tempted away before he completes the job here. Unlike Mr Cook who swore his undying loyalty to the club only to jump at the chance of more money at Wigan.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:37 am

On one of their forums they were very keen for him to return recently.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

I would hope he stays until at least achieving something concrete eg. promotion.

We always need to remind ourselves that no manager is as loyal to the club as we are.

Also managers are aware that loyalty is in scant supply in football; see Sunderland and Sheffield United today.

On the point of kit, can someone tell me why we didn’t play in blue on Saturday? I can see the fancy salmon pink might have clashed but blue wouldn’t have done.

Is it just a commercial decision to have 3 kits?

Sorry for being a dinosaur.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

StMonkton wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:21 pm

On the point of kit, can someone tell me why we didn’t play in blue on Saturday? I can see the fancy salmon pink might have clashed but blue wouldn’t have done.

It is certainly a commercial decision that has been handled somewhat badly as most sizes of the first 2 kits are sold out with no more due this season according to the shop staff
Plenty of the pink as I think it’s a marmite kit you either hate it or like it
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

StMonkton wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:21 pm I would hope he stays until at least achieving something concrete eg. promotion.

We always need to remind ourselves that no manager is as loyal to the club as we are.

Also managers are aware that loyalty is in scant supply in football; see Sunderland and Sheffield United today.

Isn't there a rule these days that none of the colours can clash?
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I think the cold hard facts concerning loyalty at professional football clubs is that there it is rare apart from the supporters. Players, managers and staff will move around to get the best opportunities. That is not a bad thing because that is what most of us do anyway. Most people are working where they are because thats how they earn their living but if the chance to gain employment elsewhere that offers better pay and conditions we move on. There is scant loyalty from the clubs owners as well when you see examples like Sheffield United this week. How often do we see examples of Paul Heckingbottom, where he was good enough to get Sheffield United promoted but then deemed not good enough to keep them up? The league table probably shows that the club are right to do what they have done but it hardly seems fair. They obviously don't have the players that are good enough to reside at the top table. Ironically the club have re employed Chris Wilder who was sacked for the very same reason by Sheffield United. Wilder in turn is showing some loyalty because Sheffield United is his boyhood team, the club he and his family supported.

People talk about Alan Knight as a legend, an example of loyalty in a one club professional career. He is certainly a good club man now but the cynical side of me can't help wondering about a different scenario. Would Mr Knight remained at Portsmouth when he was in his heyday if Liverpool or Manchester United had come in for him? I am sure the club must have had interest in him as he was a very good goalkeeper. If the club did have an big offer for him I am sure they would have considered it, and so would have Alan Knight.