What is Yengi worth?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: What is Yengi worth?

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:30 am
Berkshire Blue wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:58 am I know that it doesn't fit our current shape, but if Yengi and Bishop jelled as a pair I would imagine that they would scare the s**t out of most league one defences, and probably quite a few championship defences too. This was only Yengi's second league start of the season, so he is likely to improve quite a bit with game time and continued coaching. To start with though, I just hope that he stays fit until Bishop is back.
I agree with you about pairing Bishop & Yengi, assuming that Yengi continues his promising start. I think there are several good reasons to pair them when Bishop is fit. One being that if Yengi has true genuine prospects as a player he needs to be playing regularly, especially at the age he is. I also think that the potency of our attack will become more lethal. I think Bishop is the ideal person to help in the development of any forward player as he is a master of his art. I think with Yengi sitting on the bench when Bishop is fit would be a criminal waste of a potential blossoming talent. Conversely, to have the best all round center forward in League one sitting out games would also be very wasteful.
I think the best use of both of them is starting Bishop and letting him run himself ragged then bring Yengi in with 30 minutes or so to go, Yangi is quicker and likes to run in behind a bit more I think. Tiring defenders on heavy pitches will not like that.

We have also been limited with our forward options due to injury getting them both back fit gives up that option now.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:35 am
Berkshire Blue wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:58 am I know that it doesn't fit our current shape, but if Yengi and Bishop jelled as a pair I would imagine that they would scare the s**t out of most league one defences, and probably quite a few championship defences too. This was only Yengi's second league start of the season, so he is likely to improve quite a bit with game time and continued coaching. To start with though, I just hope that he stays fit until Bishop is back.
I agree with you about pairing Bishop & Yengi, assuming that Yengi continues his promising start. I think there are several good reasons to pair them when Bishop is fit. One being that if Yengi has true genuine prospects as a player he needs to be playing regularly, especially at the age he is. I also think that the potency of our attack will become more lethal. I think Bishop is the ideal person to help in the development of any forward player as he is a master of his art. I think with Yengi sitting on the bench when Bishop is fit would be a criminal waste of a potential blossoming talent. Conversely, to have the best all round center forward in League one sitting out games would also be very wasteful.
I think the best use of both of them is starting Bishop and letting him run himself ragged then bring Yengi in with 30 minutes or so to go, Yangi is quicker and likes to run in behind a bit more I think. Tiring defenders on heavy pitches will not like that.

We have also been limited with our forward options due to injury getting them both back fit gives up that option now.
I don't think 30 minutes here and there gives Yengi the experience & exposure he needs to develop. It's games that he needs to realise his full potential. I agree with you that injuries are a factor but I see this as a mistake by the club in the summer window where our only striking back up bought in were two inexperienced & untried players. We still have Saydee, who again needs games to show whether he has got what it takes. I would think another experienced striker needs to be bought in during the next window. Maybe someone of McNulty's ilk perhaps.
PompeyinAnjou
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by PompeyinAnjou »

An experienced striker who likely won't be anywhere near starting with Bishop fit? Who wants someone like that on fairly big money? No, use Yengi and Saydee, and bring in someone who could compete with Yengi, to replace Bishop in the Championship.
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by phat_chris »

The other issue is, would you change a winning system to accommodate both of them? Can either of them drop into the number 10 role in the current system? I trust Mous to make the correct decision for the team.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

PompeyinAnjou wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:55 am An experienced striker who likely won't be anywhere near starting with Bishop fit? Who wants someone like that on fairly big money? No, use Yengi and Saydee, and bring in someone who could compete with Yengi, to replace Bishop in the Championship.
Which would also cost money. Buying someone with the Championship in mind when we are not there yet would also be risky as well. I think this window, given the position we are in, we should consolidate our challenge by getting players who will give us that extra assurance and push. I suggested someone like McNulty because he is a proven goalscorer at this level, and the one above, and he was without a club. What would be in it for such a player to come here at his age? It would put him in the shop window, keep him fit and a successful period between now & the end of the season could earn him a longer contract here.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

phat_chris wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:00 pm The other issue is, would you change a winning system to accommodate both of them? Can either of them drop into the number 10 role in the current system? I trust Mous to make the correct decision for the team.
Yes, of course we have to trust Mousinho. He done well so far and we hope that will continue. The problem, as I see it, is what we have seen of Yengi suggests he has a real chance of becoming successful. To achieve that he needs to play and without game time he will not develop into fulfilling his potential. He will become restless to move to a club where he will get the games he needs and we will lose a player who could be of real quality. On the other hand not using Bishop to his full capacity is also a waste of talent, and if you are picking the best team of the players available to you then Bishop is a starter. Can either play in the 'number 10 role' you ask? Well I think Yengi could play there in a more advanced position with Bishop doing what he does best, annoying the hell out of defenders, bringing other players in and scoring goals. Robertson most likely won't be here next season so he will need to be replaced and, if Yengi is up to the task, Yengi could be that man.

Mousinho is fixated on the way he plays the team, which most managers do these days, and it will mean a slight change in the way we operate. I do believe that a good manager can mould a team around the players available to him and not have the need to be fixed on one favoured system.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:29 am
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:35 am

I don't think 30 minutes here and there gives Yengi the experience & exposure he needs to develop. It's games that he needs to realise his full potential. I agree with you that injuries are a factor but I see this as a mistake by the club in the summer window where our only striking back up bought in were two inexperienced & untried players. We still have Saydee, who again needs games to show whether he has got what it takes. I would think another experienced striker needs to be bought in during the next window. Maybe someone of McNulty's ilk perhaps.
So he's too inexperienced to be a back up but you think he should start every week to help him develop?

He's getting minutes, he is improving (same for Saydee) this is how players get better - he's got his chance now he has to take it, give the gaffer a headache.

I'd argue that the fact our inexperienced replacement came in and played as well as he is shows that footballing operation know what they are doing.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Yes that is what I am saying. He is inexperienced, as he showed at times on Monday, and the only way to gain experience is playing, and he done very well. Bolton supporters were certainly impressed with him and they reckon that Yengi gave Santos his hardest game of the season, as well as coming out on top in their dual. He is going to get experience now but his inexperience will quite possibly show up again at times. If he was playing with Bishop he would help overcome those situations easier. Nevertheless, we started the season with only one recognised experienced striker with two inexperienced and untried strikers as back up. I considered this to be a mistake, or at least a risky gamble, at the time. Mousinho and the recruitment team obviously saw something in Yengi that others hadn't seen, with him being 24 I am sure other clubs would have looked at him, and so far they have shown that they know what they are doing as Yengi is doing well.

My point is that we are now at a crucial point in our season where we can finally get out of this league. Hopefully Bishop is going to be back shortly and we will be back up to full strength in attack in the way Mousinho likes to play. Yengi has hit the ground running but he is no longer an unknown quantity by the rest of League One so teams will know what they are facing. Hopefully Yengi can rise above that but if he cannot and he becomes less effective we could stumble. So I would like to see more back up for the striking position come in during this window.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

The fact that Yengi is no longer an unknown quantity in League One isn’t an important factor IMHO.

Haaland at Man City is a good example of that, he is a known threat but how do you stop him? That’s a completely different challenge altogether.

If teams double up on Yengi then that leaves space elsewhere for us to exploit, if they don’t then he bosses the CB. win - win!
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Mickemo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:39 pm The fact that Yengi is no longer an unknown quantity in League One isn’t an important factor IMHO.

Haaland at Man City is a good example of that, he is a known threat but how do you stop him? That’s a completely different challenge altogether.

If teams double up on Yengi then that leaves space elsewhere for us to exploit, if they don’t then he bosses the CB. win - win!
I don't quite get the Haaland comparison. Haaland is an experienced player who does exactly what he is known to do because he is so good. Yengi will now come across players that will know about him now. Hopefully he will take that in his stride and continue to cause problems and score goals. You may not see any significance in that Yengi is no longer an unknown quantity but, in my opinion, now I think he will get a different challenge. There is every reason to be hopeful Yengi will be successful.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I think Santos thought he was going to have an easy evening. No Bishop and this rookie striker, raw from Australia. Took about 5 minutes for him to realise he had been mistaken!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:05 am I think Santos thought he was going to have an easy evening. No Bishop and this rookie striker, raw from Australia. Took about 5 minutes for him to realise he had been mistaken!
That's my point. He won't be seen as an easy ride because they will have seen he can play given the chance. However he is still a 'rookie' and, although I think he will be given more respect now, I think some of these hard nosed central defenders will play on his inexperience.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:40 pm
Mickemo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:39 pm The fact that Yengi is no longer an unknown quantity in League One isn’t an important factor IMHO.

I don't quite get the Haaland comparison. Haaland is an experienced player who does exactly what he is known to do because he is so good. Yengi will now come across players that will know about him now. Hopefully he will take that in his stride and continue to cause problems and score goals. You may not see any significance in that Yengi is no longer an unknown quantity but, in my opinion, now I think he will get a different challenge. There is every reason to be hopeful Yengi will be successful.
You’ve entirely missed my point

Let’s simply agree that we want Yengi to be successful