Twitter Rumour: Jake Young (Striker) to Sign For Pompey

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Twitter Rumour: Jake Young (Striker) to Sign For Pompey

Post by Jack_Tinn »

It is being reported on twitter that Pompey have agreed a £300k deal with Bradford to sign striker Jake Young.

Jake Young (6ft 1) is only 22 and has been on loan at Swindon this season and has scored 16 goals in L2 (and has four assists too). He has been L2 player of the month twice already this season and is the second highest scorer at l2 level. Bradford terminated his loan at Swindon at the end of December.

This would fit the mould of Pompey signing a player for now and with a resale value in the future.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/f ... wn-4462635

Last edited by Jack_Tinn on Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Twitter Rumour: Jake Young (Striker) to Sign For Pompey

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Just trying to research this rumour to see if it has any validity to it.

Jake Young started his career at Sheff Utd and then signed for .... wait for it. .... Forest Green in 2020 by their then DoF: Richard Hughes.

I have found an article:

On his arrival at the New Lawn, Young said: “I spent 18 months at Sheffield United, it was a good moment, but I’m now ready for a new challenge. Forest Green are on the rise and a great club to join and are moving in the right direction.”

Director of Football Richard Hughes added: “He’s a good prospect with some tools that we look forward to developing. Technically, he is proficient and has a real ability to score different types of goals.”

He made 51 appearances for Forest Green in three seasons - scoring 9 goals. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Young_(footballer)
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

And from the local newspaper, the Bradford Telegraph and Argos, on 31st December:

" Young's return will kick off the window [transfer] activity for the Bantams, although Alexander has declined to publicly discuss the striker's situation out of respect for his loan club.

But the City chief has suggested that there will be more outs than ins during the next month to reduce squad numbers."

To put this story into context, the paper goes on to say that, "Young was jettisoned from City’s plans by Mark Hughes in the summer. He has not played a competitive game for the club since October 2022. The 22-year-old was involved for just 45 minutes in a friendly at Bradford (Park Avenue) and was left off the Spanish trip for warm-weather training. But Young has rekindled his confidence and his form after being given a regular run under Flynn {the Swindom manager.]"

Looks like Young was not always flavour of the month at Bradford in 2023. But he regained his form on loan at Swindon.

And it also seems that Bradford want to improve their squad but need departures before they can buy new players: where have seen that before?
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

This has all the hallmarks of a Pompey signing for me. Young, developing player with talent that has proven his credentials in L2.

Relatively small investment (£300k) involved in signing a player with a high ceiling and someone who could play on that left hand side attacking position. If he can progress and help get us promoted this year he'll repay the transfer fee before May for the club - and then chip in 10-15 goals a season at Championship level then his value (re-sale) increases ten fold.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

interesting to see him play in the inside left position (as well as inside right) but still get into the middle to get his goals.

He shows some ability that he could play in a number 10 position too. I could see him linking up very well with Colby occupying the centre halves creating room for him to arrive onto and score from crosses from the right hand side in particular.

A front three of Young, Bishop and Kamara carries some threat. Scully, Yengi, Whyte as back up and pushing to get a starting position isn't too shaby either.

StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

I have no knowledge about him but I am pleased if we are making a positive decision early. This seems likely given he’s clearly on Hughes’s radar.

Makes a change from our usual style of mooching up the middle aisle in the football equivalent of Aldi to see if there’s anything cheap, whether we need it or not!
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

If this rumour is for real, it would to be a tremendous potential signing. He is very much two-footed and has a good eye for goal.
Rjk66
Alan Biley
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Rjk66 »

I hope this comes off, an early window signing of a promising striker we most certainly need.
Mark Hateley and Alan Biley made my favourite season.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Fits the model, but what's the source?
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:11 pm Fits the model, but what's the source?
The two newspaper sources listed and quoted above. Thus, the usual caution with regard to such sources.

However, it makes sense that Bradford would like to recruit in this transfer window and - like many clubs - need to sell before they recruit. Thus, they are seeking to off-load a player who they sent out on loan and has then had some goal-scoring success at Swindon.

But the same player was reportedly not asked to take part in the Bradford summer camp last year. This suggests that he was not highly rated by the manager? He then seemed to come good when away from Bradford? But this is not exactly an unblemished record IMO...

Reportedly, Bradford are asking £300k and are keen to sell. If I was PFC, I'd be tempted to offer less and see what happens......But perhaps other L1 clubs are interested?...But the attraction for the player might be that we have a reasonable chance of promotion?

Perhaps an interesting bargaining challenge for our Sporting Director....
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:11 pm Fits the model, but what's the source?
I first saw this reported on this twitter account

https://twitter.com/TransferCentre9

This account is followed by Danny Cowley so I think it has some legitimacy within the football community. As I posted earlier Jake Young was signed by Richard Hughes to play for Forest Green when he was only 19yo so there is a connection there too and he fits the profile of players that we know Pompey and Richard Hughes like to sign: e.g. similar to Towler getting their first opportunity at L2 level and performing at a high standard straight away.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I don't know anything about this player so I can only go on what I read. It appears he seems to be another 'one for the future' and, while that may well be true, I still rather hope that this month's transfer activity is focused on the here and now. That's if this speculation is true of course because this doesn't really fit in with the transfer policy conducted by the club in the recent past. Generally the first we hear about players signing is when they are introduced during the signing publicity shoot.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I think it does fit with the transfer policy. Towler, Lane, Yengi and Devlin signings are completely in the same vein of young talented players who have had some success and even international recognition that have their best years ahead of them
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Very interesting if it is true
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man