Hughes on Robertson and contingency

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Hughes on Robertson and contingency

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: Hughes on Robertson and contingency

Post by Jack_Tinn »

good to hear that their are contingency plans in place.

Lets hope that Robertson is fortunate insofar as the injury will only make him unavailable for a relatively short period.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:50 pm good to hear that their are contingency plans in place.

Lets hope that Robertson is fortunate insofar as the injury will only make him unavailable for a relatively short period.
I don't think it should suprise us that there are plans in place for many eventualities - were run like a professional outfit these days!
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:55 pm
Jack_Tinn wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:50 pm good to hear that their are contingency plans in place.

I don't think it should suprise us that there are plans in place for many eventualities - were run like a professional outfit these days!
hahaha - yes exactly, i'd expect there to be contingency for all players and positions including coaches and recruitment teams etc but you comment about 'these days' is spot on. I don't think this was the case previously and this is why I am glad to hear it.

I don't know if anyone else caught Jermaine Defoe talking on a recent podcast about the transfer window and passing medicals for them. He said that at many clubs he had joined that these medicals involved one or two full days at normally two separate independent medical facilities/hospitals running full testing and scans on him - one after the other.

He said that the strangest experience he had with a medical was at Pompey in 2008 (of course) when he was signing on the last day of the transfer window an Harry simply declared that Defoe was fit and had passed his medical because he had been playing for Spurs the week before and he was sent down to the see the Physio at the club who simply stretched out his hamstrings for a bit and then declared that he was fit and the transfer went through.

That was the level of due dilligence the club did for a £7.5m transfer at the time.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:44 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:55 pm

hahaha - yes exactly, i'd expect there to be contingency for all players and positions including coaches and recruitment teams etc but you comment about 'these days' is spot on. I don't think this was the case previously and this is why I am glad to hear it.

I don't know if anyone else caught Jermaine Defoe talking on a recent podcast about the transfer window and passing medicals for them. He said that at many clubs he had joined that these medicals involved one or two full days at normally two separate independent medical facilities/hospitals running full testing and scans on him - one after the other.

He said that the strangest experience he had with a medical was at Pompey in 2008 (of course) when he was signing on the last day of the transfer window an Harry simply declared that Defoe was fit and had passed his medical because he had been playing for Spurs the week before and he was sent down to the see the Physio at the club who simply stretched out his hamstrings for a bit and then declared that he was fit and the transfer went through.

That was the level of due dilligence the club did for a £7.5m transfer at the time.
Brilliant - you also see with the signings in the summer they are unveiled at night, but all the media shots are in glorious sunshine earlier in the day. Most talked about having been in Pompey for a few days and being shown around by Rich Hughes etc...

All points to a more professional and stable future - I hope.